Photo

multi-tools

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tenmag

tenmag

• Group:Members

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 12:55 PM

I was just thinking about how much use I get out of mine and was wondering what all of you thought about them. I've got an SOG powerlock that i've used and abused for a few years and it's always served quite well, just wondering what you all are carrying and what you think of these things.

Signature:
Gun control means hitting your target!
Redneck is not a region in the country, its a bad attitude towards all who would threaten our freedom.
TENEO VESTRUS VOX

#2 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 01:07 PM

My favorite is the Leatherman Wave.

I must think highly of them, I have a dozen or so different brands.

Tj

#3 OFFLINE   jred83002

jred83002

Sarcastic Passive-Aggresive Pessimist

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 01:07 PM

Leatherman Skeletool. Nifty little thing. Doesn't have a can opener though. :CONFUS12: I had a Kick, I think? But forgot to pack it in my luggage a few years ago and had to leave it at security in Phoenix. :sad:

I love having a tool with me. Than and my little Surefire are part of my everyday carry items.

Signature:
All things are wearisome, more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear it's fill of hearing.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 1:8-9

#4 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 01:10 PM

I owned several leathermans when the company come out in support of Al Gore for president. I swore I would never buy another. I still havent but I can not get the ones I have to break dispite carring them every day.

I have a couple of Gerbers and a couple of SOGs as back up when these do die.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   wes556

wes556

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 01:23 PM

Leatherman Wave. I've went through several gerbers but am yet to break the Wave.

Signature:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms has been recognized by the General Government; but the best security of that right after all is, the military spirit, that taste for martial exercises, which has always distinguished the free citizens of these States....Such men form the best barrier to the liberties of America" - (Gazette of the United States, October 14, 1789.)

#6 OFFLINE   tenmag

tenmag

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 02:04 PM

Wow, the leatherman is what most of the people i work with carry too, i just got a really good deal on the sog when i bought it and it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty so if they honor it i didnt figure i'd be losing much. So far after 5yrs the only thing wrong with it is its got a couple loose spots i havent got around to retightning yet.

#7 OFFLINE   jred83002

jred83002

Sarcastic Passive-Aggresive Pessimist

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 04:06 PM

Anybody have a MUT? I've been debating losing my skeletool temporarily and replacing it with something that has more...stuff.

#8 OFFLINE   jchtrh

jchtrh

"Tribesman"

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 08:02 PM

I have the MUT, very cool tool...but too big for everyday carry. It has found a permananent home in my range bag.

I have the Skeletool and Wave, broke the skeletool earlier this year and Leatherman replaced it free of charge, all I paid was $5 shipping.

Signature:
“If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"
Martin Luther King Jr.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
George Carlin

My State is BIGGER than yours!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

#9 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 09:17 PM

I carry a SwissTool quite often, and the quality is excellent. My alternate is a Paladin (SOG) multi, which is dedicated with telephony and IT tools. As with all SOG's, it features the compound-leverage advantage. About the only thing, I don't like on the SOG is the scissors. Usually, I just pack a Swiss Army knife for EDC, augmented with .357 Snub or .380 Autopistol. I have a couple of Gerbers, but consider them to be, basically, cheap 'junk'.

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero, Sep. 27 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Signature:

"Cram-it up your . . . cramhole, La Fleur!" - White Goodman, 'Dodgeball:  A True Underdog Story'

"Well, we share very few sentiments with our government." - Pike Bishop, 'The Wild Bunch'

"It's never personal, it's always business!" - Nino Brown, 'New Jack City'

"Your an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill." - Col. Kurtz, 'Apocalypse Now' 

"Even if you tie me, your gonna be dead! - John Russell, 'Hombre'

"Ben Trane.  I don't trust him. He likes people, and you can never count on a man like that!" - Joe Erin, 'Vera Cruz'

"We're after men - and I wish to God, I was with them.  The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride-off, and let you die!" - Deke Thornton, 'The Wild Bunch'

"After thirty years; I'll not bargain with a rogue at the final hour!" - John Brown of Kansas, 'Santa Fe Trail'

"I've learned to live in the 'white man's world'. Grab all you can, anytime you can!" - Levi Walking-Bear, 'The War Wagon'

"I never rode shotgun on a hearse before." - Vin Tanner, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"Let's just say I'm on your side, and this is no job for amateurs." - Cole Thornton, 'El Dorado'

"Every man should have a little taste of power before he's through!" - Nathan Burdette, 'Rio Bravo'

"Generosity . . . was my first-mistake.  I leave these people with little-bit extra, and then they hire these men to make trouble.

It shows you, sooner or later, you must answer for every good-deed." - Calvera, 'The Magnificent Seven'

"You better wake-up.  The world your living in is just a sugar-coated topping!  There is another world beneath it - the real world.  And if you

want to survive it, you better learn to pull-the-trigger!" - Blade the Daywalker, 'Blade'

#10 OFFLINE   grizzybear

grizzybear

Posted Sep. 27 2011 - 11:32 PM

Leatherman Super tool...this thing is a monster but it serves me well.

Signature:

"See  you on the road Scag!"

#11 OFFLINE   sqlbullet

sqlbullet

Posted Dec. 06 2011 - 10:29 AM

Anyone ever used the Caspian Pocketsmith. I added this to my x-mas list this year, but wondered if there was any feedback.

#12 OFFLINE   ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken

• Group:Members*

Posted Mar. 29 2013 - 11:37 PM

Another vote for the Leatherman Wave.

#13 OFFLINE   Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

Posted Mar. 29 2013 - 11:43 PM

Leatherman makes a good product, but I won't buy one from a company that's as stridently anti-gun as them.

#14 OFFLINE   gmor

gmor

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jan. 10 2014 - 03:02 AM

Leatherman makes a good product, but I won't buy one from a company that's as stridently anti-gun as them.

:CONFUS12: please explain, I have not heard of this? :unsure:

#15 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Jan. 10 2014 - 03:13 AM

:CONFUS12: please explain, I have not heard of this? :unsure:

They're not anti-gun. 

That sort of thing came about when the company president, Tim Leatherman, donated a rather sizable chunk of money to Kerry's campaign. That caused quite a stir, and he eventually came out and said that while his politics might be his, making a sizable contribution in his own name probably wasn't a wise idea, as it would only serve to alienate a percentage of his customers. He said that he still thought Kerry was a good candidate, but that the contribution was unwise. He made it quite clear that he made the contribution with his own money, not the company's money. 

I can't fault a man for having political beliefs, but I agree with him that making a contribution to any candidate or political measure's effort was probably unwise. Since he shares his name with that of the company, and it's a rather unique name, any contribution is going to be offensive to some of his customers. He said he intends to concentrate on his company making the best tools possible, and having the best service possible. 

The company advertises in gun magazines, and IIRC, I even saw one of their ads in an American Rifleman. Either way, they make a good product, have the best customer service of any large company, and I've never heard of the company taking any political stance at all. I am proud of my Leatherman Super 300 that I got for Christmas, and it's going to find a home on my duty belt soon. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#16 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 10 2014 - 05:58 AM

I don't think simply backing Kerry against Bush in 2004 makes them anti-gun especially after he apologized and has since kept his company out of politics. 

I can pretty safely say about 50% of people who work for this US made manufacturer are not anti-gun or even progressive liberals while zero of the Chinese employers who make their competitions are.  They're great products, US made, and some of us don't buy the support China because their CEO once voted for a Democrat internet hysteria anymore than we buy the "Don't buy Ruger but give Colt a pass" hype. 

That election is over nine years ago, we won, time to move on.

Tj

#17 OFFLINE   Smokin' Iron

Smokin' Iron

Posted Jan. 10 2014 - 07:53 AM

Leatherman Super tool...this thing is a monster but it serves me well.

I carry the same beast and it has served me well for the last 12 years. I even broke a jaw off the pliers (Long story) and Leatherman fixed it for free, although it took them about 2 months to do so.

With that sad I will not replace it with another Leatherman when it dies. The owner of the company supports Democrats and I won't give my money to anyone that goose steps with the enemy.

Signature:
Walking the path less traveled.
Posted Image

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center