Photo

Blue Dot

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Shane668

Shane668

• Group:Members*

Posted Jul. 25 2014 - 09:45 AM

I'm with ya. I've got a lot of factors working against me and I should have worked up my load instead of just doing 10.5gr of blue dot first. I think my set up may push 200gr XTP's over 1200fps with only 9.5gr. We'll see when the bullets I ordered arrive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#22 OFFLINE   Shane668

Shane668

Posted Jul. 25 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hulka that round chroned at 1508fps with 180gr Ranier Plated HP. I stopped after that shot.

#23 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff

Posted Jul. 25 2014 - 06:08 PM

Well I'm not an armour, but looking at that very "SMILED" brass I'd say the gun is unlocking too early!  Take you barrel out place that brass in the chamber and look to see if the "smile" exceeds the properly headspaced as seated...If the case is above the barrel hood every so slightly or even more, its is possible the slide moved rearward to soon as it unlocked.

Mike Willard of SwampFox ammo did experience issues with with his higher impulse ammo when testing with the longer barrels, but the pressure hits it's peak as the bullet moves as it entering the trueing cone and sealing the bore, then pressure drops off, but still applying force to the bullet the entire length of bore travel.

You say you are using a captured recoil spring...have you tried a non captive recoil system?  I am using the Wolff Gun Springs non captive recoil rod and springs in my G-20SF.  I did make measurements with the factory captive and the Wolff non captive and found it took a little over a pound more to break from lock up!

Here are those measurements;

Glock 20Sf Factory spring test
It takes 5lb 3oz to start the slide to move from the locked position
Full retraction at 18lb 0oz at lock open

Glock 20SF spring test Wolff Gun Springs 22lb RSA installed 

It takes 6lb 4oz to start the slide to move from the locked position
Full retraction at 22lb 9oz at lock open

Glock 20SF spring test Wolff Gun Springs 24lb RSA installed

It takes 7lb 6oz to start the slide to move from the locked position

Full retraction at 24lb 1oz at lock open

22-Slightly over a pound difference 1lb 1oz to start the slide to move from the locked position

24-Slightly over a pound difference 2lb 3oz to start the slide to move from the locked position
22-Slightly over a 2 pound difference 2lb 9oz at lock open

24-Slightly over a 6 pound difference 6lb 1oz at lock open

I have read of others, that their captive RSA's just drop out from the position, as the take the slides off their gun.  It is that reason, that I think the non captive setup is adding to maintaining lockup, just a little longer, that keeps the case inside the chamber fully, supporting the brass.  I am not getting "SMILES" even with my factory barrel or the LWD 9X25 Dillon 6" conversion.

Best regards, check us out over here too; http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php

• Vee_Kay likes this

Signature:
The
SHADOW

The "10mm" I'm Packin', Has The Bullets Wackin', Smakin' & The Slide is Rackin' & Jackin'!
NRA Life Member
Southeast, LoUiSiAna

#24 OFFLINE   Shane668

Shane668

Posted Jul. 26 2014 - 09:26 AM

That's my thoughts too. I'm gonna swap to the 22# spring. Being a Glock armour isn't anything special. You spend 8hr in a classroom every few years taking the guns apart and putting them back together. ..hahaha. They don't approve of making changes to the firearm only repairing it with "factory" parts. A Glock will always work with factory parts and spec ammo. It gets complicated when you put in aftermarket parts and start tweaking your ammo. To me it's a fun process trouble shooting my problems and fixing them.

#25 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff

Posted Jul. 26 2014 - 12:58 PM

To me it's a fun process trouble shooting my problems and fixing them.

Yes, a true understanding of the processes that are going on and learning what works in conjunction with the ammo and parts selected. :)

#26 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

• Group:Members

Posted Mar. 09 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hey folks I'm new here was looking for some insight into reloading 10mm. This is my situation. I built a custom Glock 20 Long slide with a 6.62" barrel. Everything I read said 10.5gr of Blue Dot would give me upper 1200 to 1300fps with 180gr jacked bullet. I think my mistake was using Ranier "plated" hollow points instead of "Jacked" hollow points. I got bulged cases and smashed primers with velocitys averaging in the 1480's one of the dozen I fired was 1508...WOW. Any thoughts? Am I right in assuming the plated bullets swagged like a lead bullet and created more pressure?

Was it Ranier or was it Berrys who says don't exceed 1200 fps with their bullets?

Signature:

People think I'm paranoid because I have lots of guns. If I have lots of guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

#27 OFFLINE   dan10mmman

dan10mmman

Posted Jul. 18 2015 - 08:36 PM

I believe it was Rainier that set the speed limit on thier bullets,  In my personal experience They literally shred on the way out of the barrel.  Leaves a nasty jagged rip in the target.  While shooting at a gong at 200 yds,  I was missing sometimes by ten feet, I am thinking what the hell is it me or the new loads.....I put in a fresh mag of Gold Dots and hit it with the next five shots in a row.  Plated bullets may be OK with 45's but they do not work so well in full power 10mm's. 

#28 OFFLINE   gndchuck

gndchuck

Posted Jul. 19 2015 - 05:53 PM

bluedot is my goto for my delta and omega, get really good groups.  I've been running around the top end of the charts for mine, shows no sign of pressure, but that's my 2 pistols.  Also had real good luck with IMR 800-X, same groups, but about 75 fps higher out of both mine.  Have a friend of mine that has a glock (stock barrel) and his chrono's slower than mine, I've got a higer spring rating so think that has something to do with it. 

#29 ONLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jul. 19 2015 - 09:48 PM

Rainier has limits similar to solid lead projectiles. Keep it around 1,000 and it should be ok.

#30 OFFLINE   dan10mmman

dan10mmman

Posted Jul. 20 2015 - 07:58 PM

Let me see here.....load a 10mm down and what do you have?  A 40S&W.  kind of like saving 357mag brass and loading them at 38spec specs,  WHY?

The ten was originally designed to shoot a 200gr. bullet @ 1250fps.  If you are handloading  shouldn't your rounds be as good or better than stock??  You can be sure that mine are.

Edited by dan10mmman, Jul. 20 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

Posted Feb. 29 2016 - 02:05 PM

Let me see here.....load a 10mm down and what do you have?  A 40S&W.  kind of like saving 357mag brass and loading them at 38spec specs,  WHY?

Don't ask me, I shoot 148 grain DEWC's for .357 mag  practice fodder, but I load them in .38 special cases.

#32 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

Posted Jun. 20 2016 - 08:28 PM

I believe it was Rainier that set the speed limit on thier bullets,  In my personal experience They literally shred on the way out of the barrel.  Leaves a nasty jagged rip in the target.  While shooting at a gong at 200 yds,  I was missing sometimes by ten feet, I am thinking what the hell is it me or the new loads.....I put in a fresh mag of Gold Dots and hit it with the next five shots in a row.  Plated bullets may be OK with 45's but they do not work so well in full power 10mm's. 

Tell me about it, I got a face full of shrapnel because I put a plated bullet in a .454 Casull. Pulled the rest of the bullets and used them for milder .45 Colt ammo.

#33 OFFLINE   Rgood30408

Rgood30408

• Group:New Members

Posted Jul. 04 2017 - 09:12 PM

10 gr of bluedot and 180 gr Hornady XTP work well for me I also use it in my 44 mag loads never know about availability so i try to use 1 powder for as many calibers as possible and buy in bulk

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center