Photo

How OEM Tell Reloads Have Been Fired

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GoldnBullet

GoldnBullet

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 20 2015 - 11:07 PM

How do OEM (factory) tell if reloads have been fired through firearms? I was told by an ex Co-worker that dye is put in aftermarket gun powder.

#2 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 21 2015 - 12:00 AM

How do OEM (factory) tell if reloads have been fired through firearms? I was told by an ex Co-worker that dye is put in aftermarket gun powder.

When a gun blows up, most manufactures will tell you to contact the ammo manufacturer and they can do an analysis of the residue especially if you don't have proof of purchase of the said ammo gernaded in the tube. If the ammo is at fault they fix it, if they can prove it was the gun and their ammo functioned as designed, it goes back on the gun manufacturer.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#3 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff

Posted Jan. 21 2015 - 10:55 AM

I know of no test for dye in factory v.s. handloaded powders.  I have seen the same powders used in factory ammo as is sold to the public in the pull-downs I have done.

I understand that there were some proprietary powders for some of the major manufacturers but mostly coatings and treatments for flash and deterrents.

Many of the KB's I have seen were poor loading practices, progressive loading mishaps that lead to over charges.  Most of the stuff being seen today is the wrong cartridge being used in the wrong upper as in the AR's or brass that is very poorly made and reused in unsupported chambers!

Yes there can still be factory made ammo that can also have issues in guns, The quality of the firearms of use and maintenance thereof could also lead to the problems as well.

It is best to know your guns, study the performance of the ammunition you are using as it relates to your firearm.

On a side note, I rarely fired factory ammo for over the past 35 years, everything I shoot was loaded by me and is hand weighed to Custom Match Grade loads.  

• Vee_Kay likes this

Signature:
The
SHADOW

The "10mm" I'm Packin', Has The Bullets Wackin', Smakin' & The Slide is Rackin' & Jackin'!
NRA Life Member
Southeast, LoUiSiAna

#4 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 21 2015 - 12:13 PM

Its an old cop tactic............a lie to get you to confess so they don't have to pay up. 

• mpsporttoter likes this

#5 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

Posted Jan. 21 2015 - 01:01 PM

What it comes down to is if you do not have a proof of purchase like a lot number and upc code, you are screwed. Like I said they can do an analysis, but it is very costly and probally would not be done unless there is a personal injury lawsuit involved. Guns are just to easy and cheap for them to fix and replace.

#6 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

Posted Feb. 29 2016 - 02:07 PM

Yep, sounds like just one more conspiracy theory. Dye my butt!

Signature:

People think I'm paranoid because I have lots of guns. If I have lots of guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Mar. 01 2016 - 03:02 PM

What it comes down to is if you do not have a proof of purchase like a lot number and upc code, you are screwed. Like I said they can do an analysis, but it is very costly and probally would not be done unless there is a personal injury lawsuit involved. Guns are just to easy and cheap for them to fix and replace.

If a large amount of $$$ for personal injury is involved they would probably do an analysis.  If you just want your firearm repaired it would be cheaper to just replace it.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#8 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Mar. 04 2016 - 10:50 AM

They only know when you tell them. No dye exists in powders we use. The Gov't wanted to use tagents (SP) in powder so they could trace lot numbers. Here is some testimony on that.

https://www.nraila.o...and-gun-powders

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#9 OFFLINE   BushXM15

BushXM15

Posted Apr. 22 2016 - 06:05 PM

Finally something I definitively KNOW  : There is a Tracer compound which BY LAW must be put into Factory POWDER   . An it's slightly different for Every  Manufacturer . An You would be surprised that some Ammo manufacturers DON'T even know it's there  !.

An Commercial bulk lots not intended for retail are traced differently ( just the compound ) .  

A  Spectrometer or spectrophotometer is used to determine the tracer . Think about it for a moment . If Powder manufactures DIDN'T lace their powder  ; HOW would or could it be determined that it was THEIR powder which caused the explosion  or another manufacturers mix or worse yet some local yokal removing their content and replacing it with a NO NO : An Then Suing Ammo manufacturer along with Firearm manufacturer .

Remember Your Phone !?.   THEY HAVE THE MEANS BELIEVE ME !!!... 

Edited by BushXM15, Apr. 22 2016 - 06:08 PM.

Signature:

#10 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Apr. 22 2016 - 06:49 PM

Finally something I definitively KNOW  : There is a Tracer compound which BY LAW must be put into Factory POWDER   . An it's slightly different for Every  Manufacturer . An You would be surprised that some Ammo manufacturers DON'T even know it's there  !.

An Commercial bulk lots not intended for retail are traced differently ( just the compound ) .  

A  Spectrometer or spectrophotometer is used to determine the tracer . Think about it for a moment . If Powder manufactures DIDN'T lace their powder  ; HOW would or could it be determined that it was THEIR powder which caused the explosion  or another manufacturers mix or worse yet some local yokal removing their content and replacing it with a NO NO : An Then Suing Ammo manufacturer along with Firearm manufacturer .

Remember Your Phone !?.   THEY HAVE THE MEANS BELIEVE ME !!!... 

If that is the case where are the stories of murders that are being solved with analysis of the Tracer compound? If they can prove a gun blew up shooting so and so powder then they can determine also if the suspected murderer had fired a gun with that exact powder.

Taggants as far as I know were determined to be cost ineffective when added to bulk blasting agents because it increased the cost of blasting agents by several times. There are millions of tons of bulk blasting agents used in the US each year but it only takes a pound or 2 to make a bomb.  

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#11 OFFLINE   The_Shadow

The_Shadow

• Group:10mm Staff

Posted Apr. 27 2016 - 09:24 AM

What investigators look for are residue on the person or at the scene, this is mostly nitrates and unburnt powder particulate,  Powder that was consumed in the burning process was chemically changed anyway.  Yes they do use gas chromatography mass spectrometry for analysis of the chemical makeup and Ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) (is a newer in the field use but detects the products before hand).

The chemical signature may classify a particular smokeless powder that was used...
If interested you can visit this website for some interesting facts...http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/

#12 OFFLINE   mpsporttoter

mpsporttoter

• Group:Members*

Posted Apr. 30 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hmmmm...it all sounds like a Commie plot to me.

Signature:

Goodnight Chesty...wherever you are.

#13 OFFLINE   Medic07

Medic07

Posted Apr. 30 2016 - 08:07 PM

So THAT's where all the Iodine is going??? Fuzzers tell us it is to prevent meth labs but in reality it's an additive in our reloading powders........MUST be  part of Obama's hidden agenda and executive action, I'm sure! Along with all the .22 cal ammo underground stockpiles!!!

It's a conspiracy I tell ya! :tap:

#14 OFFLINE   puke

puke

• Group:Members*

Posted Feb. 05 2017 - 12:18 AM

Kaboom's can be mostly eliminated if you use a slower powder.  I believe I read somewhere that there was a court case where someone was suing an ammo. mfgr. over a 44 mag kaboom.  I think in court the defendant stated that they only used H110 in their 44 mag loads and that it was not possible to get enough h110 into the round to blow it up.  

That statement is a little bold,.. but I believe it is probably a true statement. I read of one instance where a lady brought a 44 mag blackhawk into a gunsmith because something was wrong... I think he found around 4 or 5 bullets in that barrel.....IT NEVER BLEW UP!.. He cleared the bullets and gave the gun back.

Most kabooms I have heard of had to do with small charges of fast powder... And the person doing the loading always swears he didn't double charge. I know of one instance where a 30-30 went kaboom with factory ammo and the only weird thing was that the ammo was in a truck window in the hot summmer.... It was  nearly too hot to touch.  So...I guess you could blame that one on temperature. After hearing that I never leave ammo where the sun can shine on it through a truck window.

A friend asked me to chrony one of his handloads in his 1911  45 auto. I think it was a 225 grain or so.  It was a very stiff load. I shot one round and it chrony'd at 1450 fps... I handed him back his gun and told him that either the chrony picked up a bug or something....or he didn't have the powder charge in that he thought he did. Within a week of that incident he had to send his 1911 back to taurus because it quit ejecting properly... I think he had messed up a part and they replaced the part and sent it back.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center