Looking for a new tree stand.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Oct. 05 2015 - 04:43 PM

I decided to move my hang on stand today. It has been there a couple of years and dispite it not being used very often and in a natural funnel, I have never seen anything from it. 60 yards away on the other side of the fence is the best tree in the county as far as I am concerened but I lost the ability to hunt that side of the fence. I moved this one about 3 years ago. Honestly I did not hunt it last year but the first year it was there I hunted it several times, and hunted it again this weekend morning and afternoon.

Well this morning I decided I would move it after the hunt. Long story short, I had to cut the strap hanging it to the tree. The bark had grown around it and it would not budge. Well the stand was made by Gorilla and they are all gone now from the stand buisness. I did not have any issues getting the ladder down but now I have a ladder and an inop treestand. After 10 years with this stand I think it is time to replace it anyway. Newer, lighter, and more comfy stands are out there.

I am looking at this one, Bass Pro has it on sale for 179 right now.
http://millenniumsta.../m100u-hang-on/

The thing that I like about it is that the hanging unit can be pre placed in several places and the stand only weighs 11 pounds and with the connection system I can have ladders in several places and just one stand to move around when the wind is right.

Anybody have any expierence with it or other suggestions?

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Oct. 05 2015 - 06:58 PM

I don't like the expanded metal platforms. Shift your weight and they go "sproing". And if they don't go sproing then you could have happen to you what happened to me.

I had gone to get into my stand before first light crossing the plowed corn field on the way. It was the peak of the rut and things were moving. I had seen 2 bucks chasing does on the way to my hunting spot and could hear grunting from the woods when I parked. As the sun came up a doe came by with 2 bucks in tow. Both 2.5 year olds. Not big enough to shoot yet. About an hour later another doe came by with a buck on her tail. He was a dink, but he was right on her. He chased he out into the corn field and ran her back and forth across the section a couple of times. She would stopp and he would try to mount her and she would take off again. On the last trip back across the field there was a 3rd deer and it was freaking huge. At 1/2 mile I didn't even need binoculars to tell he was a shooter. He caught up to the little buck and put the horns to him and the little buck took off.

Meanwhile the doe is still headed my way. She comes into the woods and beds down 20 yards from my stand in some brush. The buck just strolled across the field and got to where the doe had come into the woods and stopped. He couldn't see her and he started circling. As he got around behind me he hit her scent and was coming in. I had to turn to get a good angle to shoot and when I did, plop, plop, plop. The mud in my boots dropped out. The doe jumped up and blew. I knew she was looking at me so I just froze. The buck stopped but then could see the doe and started toward her. Plop! the doe bolted, ran past my tree and right past the buck. The buck was clueless but the doe was his focus and he followed her back into the cornfield. Short chase and the buck did what he came to do. Then herded the doe away to a place i couldn't go.

After that I saw 6 more bucks, none of them shooters. Opening day of shotgun another guy shot that buck. He was freaking enormous. Couldn't even close my thumb and middle finger around the g2's. 14 points. Never again.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#3 ONLINE   calebj06

calebj06

• Group:Members

Posted Oct. 05 2015 - 08:09 PM

And that my friend, is why I put an old piece of carpet or padding in the bottom of every stand.

Well that and it keeps my feet warmer

#4 OFFLINE   youngod

youngod

• Group:Members

Posted Oct. 05 2015 - 08:27 PM

I decided to move my hang on stand today. It has been there a couple of years and dispite it not being used very often and in a natural funnel, I have never seen anything from it. 60 yards away on the other side of the fence is the best tree in the county as far as I am concerened but I lost the ability to hunt that side of the fence. I moved this one about 3 years ago. Honestly I did not hunt it last year but the first year it was there I hunted it several times, and hunted it again this weekend morning and afternoon.

Well this morning I decided I would move it after the hunt. Long story short, I had to cut the strap hanging it to the tree. The bark had grown around it and it would not budge. Well the stand was made by Gorilla and they are all gone now from the stand buisness. I did not have any issues getting the ladder down but now I have a ladder and an inop treestand. After 10 years with this stand I think it is time to replace it anyway. Newer, lighter, and more comfy stands are out there.

I am looking at this one, Bass Pro has it on sale for 179 right now.
http://millenniumsta.../m100u-hang-on/

The thing that I like about it is that the hanging unit can be pre placed in several places and the stand only weighs 11 pounds and with the connection system I can have ladders in several places and just one stand to move around when the wind is right.

Anybody have any expierence with it or other suggestions?

If you are going to be moving stands, just get a Summit.   I love mine.  If you are not going to move them for the season once they are set, get a ladder stand, better yet get a two "man " ladder stand and take your daughter with you.  

Signature:
Life Member NRA!

"They drew first blood"
"To Hell with them fellas, buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm."

#5 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Oct. 05 2015 - 09:15 PM

I have a Summit climber and I like it a lot but I dont want to haul all that in the woods all the time. I remimber at one point Summit had a bracket style hang on but I didnt see them on the website. I dont remimber the model name.

I have an extra Summit foot rest if you are intrested in it. Never installed. I got it thinking I could make it work on another stand and it didnt. The foot rest is the best thing I have even put on my treestand.

#6 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Oct. 12 2015 - 03:01 PM

Well I got the Millennium M100U. Got my ladder and hanging bracket set up today for a hunt in one week. So far I like this thing but the foot rest will be next. The hanging process was pretty easy. I will be ordering some more climbing sticks and hang on brackets. I figure for less than 100 each I can have several sites lined up based on wind.

Another review next Monday after the first hunt, if the wind works for that stand location.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center