Photo

Where does your brass land?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UMDCornholio

UMDCornholio

• Group:Members

Posted Oct. 23 2015 - 06:15 PM

I've been feeding my Witness Elite Match 10mm with HPR 180gr FMJ.  The recoil spring is a newish 22lbs Wolff.  I also recently added the Wolff XP extractor spring.  Lately, my brass has been landing all over the place.  Some will fly about 45degrees back and about 10+ yards away.  Some lands almost directly to my side and about 5yards away.  Anyone else notice the same and have an explanation?  I would have thought a 22lbs spring would slow the slide enough to keep from flinging the brass so far, considering the factory spring is something like 14lbs.  To contrast, I've upgraded my XD40 to a 19lbs spring and the brass lands right next to me.

Signature:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Benjamin Franklin quoting Cesare Beccaria

#2 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

Posted Oct. 27 2015 - 08:45 AM

Sometimes when I am gathering up the empties to reload them, I swear they DON'T land and got sent into low Earth orbit!

Signature:

People think I'm paranoid because I have lots of guns. If I have lots of guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

#3 OFFLINE   Jim Smith

Jim Smith

• Group:Members*

Posted Oct. 26 2016 - 07:10 PM

I too have a witness match and thought the same thing. Posted this on 10mmfirearms and was told by a member  that a stronger r/c spring would not solve the problem. I believe he said grinding the extractor to a certain angle would solve this problem. I built a free standing brass catcher that I can tilt so that the top edge over the ejection port and I catch all my brass.

Suggest that you stop by 10mmfirearms and raise this question.

#4 OFFLINE   Rgood30408

Rgood30408

• Group:New Members

Posted Jul. 02 2017 - 09:27 PM

I have aPara Elite Hunter and a new Colt Delta Elite and the brass lands in a different zipcode

#5 OFFLINE   UMDCornholio

UMDCornholio

Posted Jul. 03 2017 - 02:20 AM

I finally ran some Underwood through my Witness.  It was noticeably hotter than any other 10mm ammo I've used (obviously) but the brass still landed around the same distance.  I'm beginning to think Jim is right, and it has more to do with the extractor than the recoil spring.  Oh well, just gonna have to get used to the idea of searching high and low for my spent brass.

#6 OFFLINE   gandog56

gandog56

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 08:11 PM

Like I said prior, sometimes I swear they don't. I think they are getting launched in low Earth orbit. If you see a falling star tonight. I may have been at the range.

Edited by gandog56, Apr. 15 2018 - 08:12 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Apr. 17 2018 - 11:03 AM

I like it when a female shooter has a v neck on and hot brass falls in and they start to jump around

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center