AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

200 Grain .451 Gold Dot review GRAPHIC!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:11 AM

I'll start this here, if there is a better place please move it.  This thread contains graphic images from harvested animals, may not be suitable for some viewers.

Now that the formalities are over with, as promised here are the pics from the deer I shot today with muzzle loader.

First the back story.  I was having big problems getting and good accuracy out of normal ML bullets this year.  I tried Sabots, full caliber, 100 grains, 150 grains but could not even get a group good enough to make scope adjustments.

Well my answer was take a standard 45 bullet and add my own sabot to it.  After a few reviews I went with the TC SuperGlide sabots.  Everything I read told about an improved accuracy with this over other sabots.  Great less than $9 for a box of 50.  Next up was the bullet.  I have read good reviews on Hornady XTP but could not find them locally.  What I did find however was Speer Gold Dot.  I was looking for them in 230 or heavier but all the store had was 200s.  

The range trip showed incredible improvements in accuracy with 3 shot groups under 2 inches.  I can work with that.  With 100gr of Triple Seven, the MS3 showed them doing about 1660.  That is quite a bit faster than coming out of even a 6 inch 1911.   I was not worried about the speed as I could not rely on shot placement.

Several years ago I did some testing with these bullets out of my 1911.  Now this was about 15 years ago and when shot into water then damn things came completely apart.  Almost like frangibles.  After some updated reading it seems they have become very reliable and are used by many PDs and LEO agencies so I figured I would give them one more try.

So this morning a little after 9 I was actually getting ready to step out of the blind to go take a leak and as I leaned forward in my chair, I caught a large light brown object about 30 yards from my blind.  His eyes were glued to the decoy I had set up about 30 yards on the other side of the stand.  He quickly looked at the odd looking cloth box sitting right out in the open but didn't give it a 2nd thought.  Meanwhile inside I was adjusting a Nikon CoolPix I had brought along with a tripod to get the shot on video.  I framed him up nice and centered and then forgot to start recording.  Oh well.

At about 40 yards I let the smoke fly.  The round impacted in the upper lung area on the deers right side. I could not see the hit right away but I knew I had hit him hard.  This was not the standard blow and bound away.  He was moving with an urgency wide open.  He continued across the field and as I watched him take the last jump out of the field I could see the blood running down his side.

I was hoping he would crash in the field but he made it to the tree line about 80 yards away.  Knowing I had hit him hard I still wanted to give him some time to expire.  Not knowing what the bullet was going to do I did not want to take the chance on bumping him if he had bedded down.  I went and ran a rod through the ML followed by a bore snake to dry it out.  Then reloaded.  Now off to find a blood trail.

It took me a few minutes to locate where he came out of the field.  I did not like what I saw.  A little blood and it was nice and bright but there was not enough of it to give me that warm and fuzzy.  I did however follow it to the treeline.  Once inside the treeline and with much more brown leaves that made the blood stand out I saw an increase in the amount of blood on the trail.  I followed it about another 50 yards or so and there lay my deer.

Walking up to it I noticed a large knot in the fur on what would have been the far side from the shot I took.  I also check around and found no exit hole.  That means somewhere in that caracas is my bullet.  During field dressing I saw where the bullet had gone through the far side of the rib cage.  I stuck my finger in to see if maybe I had just missed the exit hole.  There I found my bullet.  This is kinda cool as it is the first time I have recovered a bullet from an animal.

Now for the pics.  I have not weighed it but I am sure it has not retained all of its weigh but it kept enough.

The front

gallery_6696_104_76628.jpeg

And the back of the bullet.

gallery_6696_104_670197.jpeg

Now here comes the interesting part.  I was looking at the actual wounds on the inside of the rib cage when I was skinning it out tonight.

Entry

gallery_6696_104_1053023.jpeg

And exit side

gallery_6696_104_984735.jpeg

I was pretty impressed.  I may have to look at the Gold Dot ammo again for my 1911s.

So lessons learned.  While I did put this deer down and in a timely matter I don't like the fact that it went 80 yards with such a sparse blood trail.  That may not have been all bullet though, with the high hit and no exit would I pretty much had to wait for 2/3rds of the chest cavity to fill with blood before it would spill out.  Net time I'll aim lower or at the neck  I would also still like to find this bullet in either a 230 grain for this taks or a 250 grain if I could.  

Anyway guys hope you enjoyed it.  I have been up since 3AM  (21 hours) so I am going to get a little shut eye.

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:29 AM

Very Nice!

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#3 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:51 AM

Very cool, thanks for the pics. We carry this weight of GD in .45ACP, though at much slower velocities. The 200gr +P has served us well, we and another nearby agency have been in something like 8-9 shootings with it, and it's always done exactly what it needed to do. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#4 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 02:12 AM

Awesome Red!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#5 ONLINE   mattd65636

mattd65636

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 07:57 AM

Good job Red. 

Signature:

"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." -Thomas Lynch The Undertaking: Life Studies From A Dismal Trade

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again,  this time more intelligently."-Henry Ford

#6 ONLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 08:39 AM

Awesome! However, every deer I have shot in the head never ran. ;)

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

#7 OFFLINE   Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Rabble Rouser and proud of it!

• Group:Members

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 09:07 AM

...the deer I shot today with muzzle loader.

muzzle loader.   <---------<<<<  :lol: ... :segrin: ... :hysterical3: ... :hysterical3: 

first, i am a traditionalist! i do NOT approve of this modern BULL-DUNG way of "muzzleloading", muzzleloading has been bastardized so badly, most hunters who use the modern "muzzleloaders" have no idea how we old-timers done it the traditional way.., Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Kit Carson, etc. 

WHEN i hunted with a muzzle loader, i used a self made Hawken flintlock rifle, .54 Cal., a patched round ball that i also made, and when i took my first Deer with it, it was a head shot about 65 yds. offhand, that Deer, a 4 point Mullie, dropped as if it had a 10 ton block dropped on it, no tracking, no lost of meat or vital organs, i always go for head shots, if i miss the animal runs away or stands there thinking a huge Bee just buzzed over/under it's head and i sometimes get a second shot.

:anim_wave:

#8 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 09:42 AM

Very cool, thanks for the pics. We carry this weight of GD in .45ACP, though at much slower velocities. The 200gr +P has served us well, we and another nearby agency have been in something like 8-9 shootings with it, and it's always done exactly what it needed to do. 

Beside hearing about actual shootings, one of the things that keeps me using Gold Dots in all my SD pistols is that they came up with the original bonding and expansion process so long ago, and have been fine tuning it ever since. The guys at Speer know what they are doing.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#9 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 09:49 AM

muzzle loader.   <---------<<<<  :lol: ... :segrin: ... :hysterical3: ... :hysterical3: 

first, i am a traditionalist! i do NOT approve of this modern BULL-DUNG way of "muzzleloading", muzzleloading has been bastardized so badly, most hunters who use the modern "muzzleloaders" have no idea how we old-timers done it the traditional way.., Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Kit Carson, etc. 

WHEN i hunted with a muzzle loader, i used a self made Hawken flintlock rifle, .54 Cal., a patched round ball that i also made, and when i took my first Deer with it, it was a head shot about 65 yds. offhand, that Deer, a 4 point Mullie, dropped as if it had a 10 ton block dropped on it, no tracking, no lost of meat or vital organs, i always go for head shots, if i miss the animal runs away or stands there thinking a huge Bee just buzzed over/under it's head and i sometimes get a second shot.

:anim_wave:

I hunted for many years, including taking my first deer and a 9 point I have on the wall with a Hawken. I am familure with the process, I am just smarter than that now.

#10 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 12:28 PM

I hunted for many years, including taking my first deer and a 9 point I have on the wall with a Hawken. I am familure with the process, I am just smarter than that now.

:laugh:

#11 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 12:51 PM

Nice shot! I'm surprised with that kind of entry hole that you didn't getore of a blood trail.

#12 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 12:58 PM

Smarter?

Personally, I have an issue with "in-lines" being legal during ML season, because it was originally a "primitive weapons" season. All the new saboted bullets, artificial BP, and scoped in-lines are fine for regular gun season, but have no place in a primitive weapons season, IMNSHO. The only reasons to have bastardized the original rules to include those modern items, was to increase the numbers being harvested, and to pacify whiners by effectively extending their modern weapons season. 

I used to use one of my ML's for all gun hunting regardless of which gun season it was, but I've seen the light. I hunt most of gun season with a bow now. I let all the neighbors make all the noise, chase them around, and into the cover on my place......while I sit motionless and kill quietly.

BTW, Congrats on the kill, and putting meat in the freezer. :thumb:

Edited by Longhair, Nov. 08 2015 - 01:00 PM.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#13 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:32 PM

I dont have a problem with traditional MLs if your state has that restriction. Our deer numbers here are so out of control that in order to "tag out" you would need to take over 300 animals a year. I will take advantage of the improved accuracy and increase of range to do my part to fill the freezer, donate to charities and to take the numbers down when I can.

#14 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:33 PM

I dont have a problem with traditional MLs if your state has that restriction. Our deer numbers here are so out of control that in order to "tag out" you would need to take over 300 animals a year. I will take advantage of the improved accuracy and increase of range to do my part to fill the freezer, donate to charities and to take the numbers down when I can.

Yeah... to tag out is 2 in WA :cry:

#15 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 01:37 PM

If the law allows it, what's the problem?

I used to rifle hunt, then I bow hunted for several years, now I may try rifle hunting again since I've got a decent .308

I've looked at muzzle loading but not sure that'd be my thing. Looks cool though.

#16 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 02:39 PM

In my state it was the traditionalists that fought for the season, only to have it changed afterward to include modernized versions and equipment for the additional license sales, tourist money, sales tax on all the new stuff being bought, etc.....

It's all about the money.

This year is going to be interesting. It used to be that you couldn't use a rifle during gun season in the lower half of the lower peninsula. Only shotguns, ML's, and handguns. This year they've included rifles/carbines shooting straight walled cases (.45LC, .44Mag, etc...), so locally prices and availability of such arms has gone stupid. I only hope that there are no "accidents" involving one with so many new owners.

#17 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 02:46 PM

If the law allows it, what's the problem?
I used to rifle hunt, then I bow hunted for several years, now I may try rifle hunting again since I've got a decent .308
I've looked at muzzle loading but not sure that'd be my thing. Looks cool though.

Honestly I dont even like MLs, but around here it comes as the rut is heating up so it is a nessessary evil as far as I am concearned. I understand there of people that like that stuff, moe power to them.

#18 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Nov. 08 2015 - 10:03 PM

Epic. I like an exit though just helps with tracking, 35 whelen leaves a big hole.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#19 OFFLINE   fujow96

fujow96

• Group:Members*

Posted Nov. 23 2015 - 05:35 PM

love the gold dots it is what is in my carry gun.  congratulations on some good dinners to come.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center