AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

How do you sell your motorcycle? Craigslist, cycletrader? Scam info.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Group:Members

Posted Sep. 27 2016 - 03:30 PM

How do you guys sell your motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile, etc? 

There's got to be a better way than getting scam emails from craigslist.  What has worked for you?

I'm on craigslist right now and someone emailed me three times asking questions and sounding interested.  He asked if I had a VIN report.  After I said no, he said he wanted to come see the motorcycle tomorrow, but wanted a VIN report done for his own protection, which he would pay for if he decided to buy the motorcycle.  He said use this specific vin check website "checkvinup.com" because it's cheaper than carfax.  A quick web search reveals this website company doesn't exist, or at least legitimately. 

He completely slow played this.  Typed and spelled things in his email very well.  Didn't sound strange at all up until he linked that website.  I'm sure plenty of people are falling for this crap!  It was well done.

Anyway, I reported it to craigslist so he'll have to spend 2 minutes creating another fake account...

Does cycletrader get you results?  Or, at least get you fewer scammers?

Side note:  Damn, my dog can clear a room out with her farts!!! 

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

#2 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted Sep. 27 2016 - 03:43 PM

I did a domain search and found that checkvinup.com was created Sept 24, 2016.  Funny how quickly scammers work. 

Domain Name: CHECKVINUP.COM
Registrar: INTERNET DOMAIN SERVICE BS CORP
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 2487
Whois Server: whois.internet.bs
Referral URL: http://www.internet.bs
Name Server: NS-CANADA.TOPDNS.COM
Name Server: NS-UK.TOPDNS.COM
Name Server: NS-USA.TOPDNS.COM
Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/ep...nsferProhibited
Updated Date: 24-sep-2016
Creation Date: 24-sep-2016
Expiration Date: 24-sep-2017

#3 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Sep. 29 2016 - 11:58 PM

I have had okay luck in Craigslist, but you have to deal with the scum of the earth. Since then I have found a Facebook group just for atv and snowmobile sales, and have had great luck there.

For snowmobiles, snowest.com forums is a great place to buy and sell.
  • mthunter65 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Sep. 30 2016 - 04:17 AM

I use the newspaper classifieds.  You do the whole thing on line, print ad in the paper, picture ad on line.  I actually live in a more rural county and advertise in the bigger more circulation paper the next county over. 

#5 OFFLINE   CityfiedHillbilly

CityfiedHillbilly

Posted Sep. 30 2016 - 04:46 AM

If you have a Facebook account, do a search for "Your City" For Sale. Or motorcycles for sale, etc. It's not too bad going that route. You generally get to see a photo and get the real name of the person's you're dealing with. There are a ton of FB pages around my area and a person can sell anything from used socks to airplanes (I've seen them both).

Signature:

=======================================================

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the

United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

And he makes good beer too! :beerme:

#6 OFFLINE   mthunter65

mthunter65

• Group:Members*

Posted Jan. 31 2017 - 03:03 AM

In Alaska scammers run rampant, utilization of a platform is best for the demographic you want to reach. Be age specific in those platforms!

#7 OFFLINE   pierceg

pierceg

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Jan. 31 2017 - 07:15 AM

ive sold 2  motorcyles through craigslist.

had to, wade through the normal bs.

worked out very well both times.

now this past summer, I attempted to sell a wave runner.  wow, they have stepped up thier game in just the sheer amount of "interested" replies.

most are easy to see through.  out of state, want you to accept a mailed money order type of dumb fuggery.

craigslist works, just be mindful of the thieves.

#8 OFFLINE   robton62

robton62

Posted Aug. 24 2017 - 04:13 AM

I posted my car on craigslist before, and transaction went smoothly.

#9 OFFLINE   Coop650

Coop650

Posted Oct. 19 2017 - 12:08 PM

I have sold a LOT of bikes over the years on craigslist. But you do have to really weed through the spam. Some areas are worse than others. Until 01/17 I lived just outside of Pittsburgh PA and got a lot of spam in response to my ads. After moving to Texas I decided to sell my Beta trials bike before my back surgery in June and had zero spam responses. I ended up selling it through a local forum though. But I use craigslist, forums, and lately Facebook groups. The problem with Facebook is I alway seem to get people wanting me to ship the bikes even on local groups. People seem to find the ad through a search or the marketplace and I really don't like the hassle of shipping bikes. Plus there is always the chance that is a scam too (ship the bike and they either file a PayPal dispute or it turns out the check/money order sent is a fake). So really unless you are selling face to face locally there are risks with any online selling. 

Signature:

-Mike

#10 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Nov. 21 2017 - 09:49 PM

Just sold my bike through a guy I used to work with. I asked him his preferred method since he's into flipping and trying different rides. He hooked me up with a guy he knows and tonight they took it away.  

#11 OFFLINE   Winkel

Winkel

Posted Dec. 04 2017 - 10:09 PM

I've sold a couple of cars and a motorcycle on Craigslist.  I bought our last two dirt bikes on Craigslist too and haven't really had any terrible experiences.  

If they seem a little fishy, I don't even respond.  

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center