Photo

Got some work done to my Jeep.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jun. 08 2017 - 05:29 PM

Dang, I really want a bumper like that for my truck. 

Tj

I have done a whole lot of looking and comparing bumpers now for about a year. My top two are Fusion and Iron Cross. Fab Fours makes a really nice one also. Then the Ranch Hand is really cool if you want that working look. I actually like that bumper but it is not the style of my truck with the custom grill, lights and side bars.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#42 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jun. 08 2017 - 05:57 PM

Those truck bumpers for my 07 dodge 2500 is between 1,500 and 2,000 dollars. The rear is slightly less. Then a 12,000 lb winch is another 600 -1,500 depending on brand. Add in lights and shackles and our can easily exceed 3,000 for just the front alone. Another 1,200 for the rear and lights. If you want it painted to match the truck add another 200-300 and now your knocking on 5,000 for a set of custom bumpers and winch.
Lol, and y'all thought building Jeeps were expensive. We won't even mention the 4,800 dollars worth of high performance transmission swinging between the frame rails.
  • kobelup likes this

#43 OFFLINE   kobelup

kobelup

• Group:Members

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 06:23 AM

I was just looking at the pictures taken from the front. I'm pretty sure it's the camera lens but it looks like a serious case of toe out. Just for shoots and giggles you might want to check it out.

You have a good eye. Not sure if toe and castor are sisters but I believe that’s what alignment guy said. I have had a few issues with the cheap lift and have been replacing parts. I just replaced the lower control arms with adjustable ones from teraflex. I guessed one the length and my guess was close. I have almost no bump steer now. I had pretty bad bump steer before. I put lots of weight on the front and the springs sagged and I think that caused my issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#44 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 12:56 PM

You have a good eye. Not sure if toe and castor are sisters but I believe that’s what alignment guy said. I have had a few issues with the cheap lift and have been replacing parts. I just replaced the lower control arms with adjustable ones from teraflex. I guessed one the length and my guess was close. I have almost no bump steer now. I had pretty bad bump steer before. I put lots of weight on the front and the springs sagged and I think that caused my issues.

Those adjustable control arms are nice, Teraflex makes some very good quality parts. You see a good bit of them on the trails. Yep, larger tires/wheels, bumper, winch, all adds weight and will Change the geometry of the steering and supension. Besides the bump steer issue, if not setup correctly, you will get the dreaded death wobble. That one will cause you to bite a hole in the seat from clinching.
By the way, she is looking really sweet. Friday uptown there were probably 8-9 custom crawlers on trailers meeting up to go play. I stopped for a few minutes and talked to a couple that I know. One has as shop in Columbia and his has a 700 hp big block in it with everything custom built for competition. Rumor has it that he spent around 100,000 on it. All of them were serious rock crawlers but a couple were absolutely over the top. 40-47 inch tires, most everything hand built, lol, some even looked like a Jeep, almost.
  • kobelup likes this

#45 OFFLINE   kobelup

kobelup

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 12:57 PM

I’ve wondered at what point is it no longer a Jeep.

#46 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 01:03 PM

That's a good question. Most still consider it a Jeep if it retains a Jeep body, regardless of everything else. Many of those custom crawlers don't even have a body, just tubing. But as long as it has a jeep body and the dimensions are kept intact I refer to them as a Jeep.

#47 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 01:15 PM

You have to have two out of three....stock body, stock frame, and stock running gear.  Otherwise it's a custom rig. Mods are allowed but 75% of the original equipment must be intact. 

Jeeps are like Ar's and built to the users liking's and purpose.......they are very similar.

• kobelup likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#48 OFFLINE   kobelup

kobelup

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 01:15 PM

I guess that makes since. If you have the money then enjoy your hobbies. It’s just fun learning and getting my hands dirty. I say the install would have been rated PG-13. Lol

• devil duck likes this

#49 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 01:36 PM

You have to have two out of three....stock body, stock frame, and stock running gear.  Otherwise it's a custom rig. Mods are allowed but 75% of the original equipment must be intact. 

Jeeps are like Ar's and built to the users liking's and purpose.......they are very similar.

Stock body? Many have removed the front fenders and installed a tube fenders. 1- for tire clearance, 2- they keep getting crushed on trees and rocks. I still consider them a Jeep.
https://www.extremet...4=J16283&intl=0

#50 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 01:57 PM

Stock body? Many have removed the front fenders and installed a tube fenders. 1- for tire clearance, 2- they keep getting crushed on trees and rocks. I still consider them a Jeep.
https://www.extremet...4=J16283&intl=0

75% of the body must be retained. Remember these are my rules  :segrin:

• devil duck likes this

#51 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 02:09 PM

75% of the body must be retained. Remember these are my rules  :segrin:

Lol,
I thought these had been handed down by the Jeep Gods, worried me for a bit. But 75% of the body intact is reasonable. I miss understood your post.
I forsee Apple forever being a real Jeep, you probably still have the factory door locks on it.

#52 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 02:35 PM

Lol,
I thought these had been handed down by the Jeep Gods, worried me for a bit. But 75% of the body intact is reasonable. I miss understood your post.
I forsee Apple forever being a real Jeep, you probably still have the factory door locks on it.

Apple never had doors. It does not have hinges on the tub either. I want to get a Tiger top for it as that is the only top that will fit it. 

See no hinges....and yes Apple will stay this way. 

YBiSb5z.jpg

#53 OFFLINE   kobelup

kobelup

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 02:59 PM

Apple never had doors. It does not have hinges on the tub either. I want to get a Tiger top for it as that is the only top that will fit it. 

YBiSb5z.jpg

If you ever need to locate parts, specialty Jeep in coshocton can help. They restore Jeeps.

#54 OFFLINE   kobelup

kobelup

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 03:04 PM

da50c66725478da57316b27415f7cc45.jpg
2ad3764ede10ba289fa2bf2c30fd04a5.jpg
Michelle didn’t want to be in the picture. But we got our tree.

#55 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 03:16 PM

YBiSb5z.jpg

Lol, I know she didn't.

#56 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 03:18 PM

Best top also offers their Super top for them. Either way their pricey.
https://www.4wd.com/...w8aAuTEEALw_wcB
I see where you had already checked on it, NM.

WE liked that our old top for our '72 CJ-5 had windows that can be rolled up..safari-style. I see that mentioned on the description for the Tigertop, but it isn't mentioned on the Super top. Which would be the best fit for our Jeep?

Asked by dublebug from Lookout Mountain, Georgia on 09/1/2015

Hi Dublebug The Supertop with Two-Piece Soft Doors and Clear Windows will not roll up because they will zip out. Also with the supertop you will have to mount the belt rails around the body tub and take the snaps out. Thanks

A

Edited by devil duck, Nov. 26 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 03:42 PM

da50c66725478da57316b27415f7cc45.jpg2ad3764ede10ba289fa2bf2c30fd04a5.jpg

That's a nice looking tree,

Say Michelle got a little camera shy.
  • kobelup likes this

#58 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 03:43 PM

da50c66725478da57316b27415f7cc45.jpg
2ad3764ede10ba289fa2bf2c30fd04a5.jpg

Nice tree!

• kobelup likes this

#59 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted Nov. 26 2017 - 07:33 PM

I would have enjoyed a Jeep on my last Colorado trip.  I avoided a less-than-adequate gravel road in my nice truck that I would have jumped head first into with a well-worn Jeep. 

You guys are making my bucket list bigger.

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center