Photo

Need Barrel advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kravenprime

Kravenprime

• Group:New Members

Posted Jun. 02 2017 - 05:17 PM

Good afternoon - I am building an AR and would like suggestions on a very high quality 18-20" match quality HBAR barrel. (Must be hbar due to state restriction).

I found this one http://www.brownells...733-104844.aspx

Having difficulties differentiating between decent and high quality ones - can someone recommend a great one - since this component can a good from great rifle.

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Jun. 02 2017 - 07:32 PM

Tell me about your barrel restrictions.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#3 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jun. 02 2017 - 10:49 PM

(xv)      Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations
***except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;*** PER the M.S.P. an HBAR is defined as a AR15 that is MARKED BHAR on the Barrel or Receiver or is Marketed/Advertised by the Manufacturer as a HBAR Rifle.

Edited by gshayd, Jun. 02 2017 - 10:52 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#4 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 02 2017 - 11:08 PM

I have seen zero after market barrels stamped HBA. My WAG is the pickings will be very slim if you want to step up to a higher quality barrel.

Greg

#5 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Jun. 03 2017 - 10:02 AM

Maryland has some pretty draconian laws  :sweat:

#6 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 03 2017 - 06:26 PM

A snow flake conspiracy theory guy would suspect that COLT payed off the legislature on that one.

Greg

#7 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

• Group:Members

Posted Jun. 04 2017 - 07:52 AM

Wow!I've never heard of a law about your barrel profile and I live in NJ!

#8 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Jun. 04 2017 - 08:00 AM

I found this on another forum. I take no responsibility for it, I know nothing of MD law.

The manufacturer or seller advertises it as "HBAR", so yes, it's good to go in MD.

Seriously... that's the test, according to Maryland State Police.

The state law identifies only the Colt Sporter HBAR as legal... all other ARs that are equivalent to the Colt Sporter HBAR are therefore also legal. So, anything that's got a heavy barrel is good, since that's the only difference between the Colt Sporter HBAR and the other Colt ARs that are banned by name in the law.

And since the law doesn't actually specifically say what constitutes a heavy barrel, anything that someone calls a heavy barrel is legally a heavy barrel in Maryland.

The burden of proof is on the state to show that it's not a heavy barrel. And, without the law defining the term, they've got nowhere to go. So long as you have some kind of marketing material or a sales receipt that says it's an HBAR, the only evidence is on your side and you can demonstrate that you did in good faith comply with the law as-written.

Choosing a barrel that meets or exceeds the profile measurements of the Colt Sporter HBAR barrel at all points is suggested, though, for extra peace of mind.

#9 OFFLINE   schrödinger's cat

schrödinger's cat

Posted Jun. 04 2017 - 08:03 AM

For you greg, some cut and paste from MD gun forums.

Bear in mind that the ONLY reason HBARs are legal in this PRoMd is due to an exception written into the old weapons ban. That exception was to accommodate the US Military Shooting Teams and allow them to bring the Colt HBAR Target Rifles into the state without violating any state law. It was allowed to remain on the books with FSA2013 for the same reason. And an opinion from the MSP is all that allows us to buy HBARs other than the Colt HBAR Target model AR 15 in this state. We can ill afford to get into a pizzing match with the state over the issue. The dog sleeps... Let it...

Incorrect.

The reason HBARs are legal is due to the original Federal ban of 1994. The HBAR was a "target" rifle and was excluded to show that the anti-gunners were not against "legitimate" sporting use (target and hunting) rifles.

At the time, the ONLY target version of the AR was the Colt HBAR Match Sporter. So it got exempted.

MD only used the exact same Federal ban list for 1) the "regulate" long guns list in MD and then 2) the banned long gun list.

Look at the list in the Clinton "Crime Bill" for back then. Same exact list of rifles.

You have your version I have mine... I was told that the Maryland law makers were not going to allow even HBAR AR 15s into the state until the Military petitioned them to allow it so their members could travel to the state for competitive shooting and not worry about violating state law. Maryland then later agreed to use the federal list, which excluded/exempted the Colt HBAR TARGET AR 15 from the ban.

#10 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jun. 04 2017 - 06:02 PM

You get a hard nosed Warden and it could be bad for hunting that day.

Greg

#11 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Jun. 05 2017 - 02:04 AM

You better carry around that a copy of the sales ad or invoice that shows it was sold as an HBAR if it isn't marked on the barrel or receiver. I quoted straight from the Maryland law....

Edited by gshayd, Jun. 05 2017 - 02:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users