Media Spreads Fake News About GOP Shooter’s Weapon

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:42 AM

That isn't fake news. Maybe poor repprtong or getting fa td wrong, but it isn't fake. Why call it that other than to inflame people?

How is identifying a weapon used in a crime as an "assault weapon"  that is clearly, by definition, NOT an assault weapon

not a lie, and thus fake, false, news ?

Words mean things. 

Reporting the news accurately depends on using the correct words to relay that news to the public. 

Words and their meaning are a reporter's tools of the trade.

Every reporter in the Free World knows that "assault weapons" are a hot button topic, and it should be critical to get it right.

For you to be suggesting we give them a pass on this, that it is just "poor reporting" or getting "the facts wrong" 

is absurd on its face. 

Any reporter and his producer, the research staff, and their own fact checkers and legal department that cover these types of crimes

should already have a solid knowledge base to work from, and if their are any doubts verification is a copy of Jane's Defence away.

You sound as innocent as a newborn babe who believes these things are still honest mistakes.

It is not as if it was the TV Weatherman was making a comment on a TV segment as he tossed it back to a news reader for a segment on

the shooting. These are professionals who have entire production staffs to be used to be accurate in their reporting, from the street

to the studio.

They chose not to be accurate. They lied.

They mold the public's perception by the word's they use to report,

and, just as importantly, what they choose not to report.

You are spinning in the wind on this one, G.  

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#42 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:50 AM

How is identifying a weapon used in a crime as an "assault weapon"  that is clearly, by definition, NOT an assault weapon

Words mean things. 

Reporting the news accurately depends on using the correct words to relay that news to the public. 

Words and their meaning are a reporter's tools of the trade.

Every reporter in the Free World knows that "assault weapons" are a hot button topic, and it should be critical to get it right.

For you to be suggesting we give them a pass on this, that it is just "poor reporting" or getting "the facts wrong" 

is absurd on its face. 

Any reporter and his producer, the research staff, and their own fact checkers and legal department that cover these types of crimes

should already have a solid knowledge base to work from, and if their are any doubts verification is a copy of Jane's Defence away.

You sound as innocent as a newborn babe who believes these things are still honest mistakes.

It is not as if it was the TV Weatherman was making a comment on a TV segment as he tossed it back to a news reader for a segment on

the shooting. These are professionals who have entire production staffs to be used to be accurate in their reporting, from the street

to the studio.

They chose not to be accurate. They lied.

They mold the public's perception by the word's they use to report,

and, just as importantly, what they choose not to report.

You are spinning in the wind on this one, G.  

I understand now. Anytime there is a mistake in facts, it's considered fake news. Trumps new word. Any mistake is now a lie in your world.

Any premature report is fake news.  That's fine, but let's make sure it's called out on every story, especially on the headlines posted here that aren't accurate. If we are going to call out fake news, lets do it every time.

Guess what. Assault weapon is not a hot button issue with everyone. Guns are not at the top of everyone's list. So if a police officer uses the word, he's lying. Right? If a person that was shot at says it was an assault weapon, they are lying, and should be called out on it. Not mistaken, mind you. Lying.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#43 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 07:14 AM

I understand now. Anytime there is a mistake in facts, it's considered fake news. Trumps new word. Any mistake is now a lie in your world.

Any premature report is fake news.  That's fine, but let's make sure it's called out on every story, especially on the headlines posted here that aren't accurate. If we are going to call out fake news, lets do it every time.

Guess what. Assault weapon is not a hot button issue with everyone. Guns are not at the top of everyone's list. So if a police officer uses the word, he's lying. Right? If a person that was shot at says it was an assault weapon, they are lying, and should be called out on it. Not mistaken, mind you. Lying.

Seriously? You're back on that misdirected track again?

I already conveyed that if it's not irrefutable, then it's not fact. If they present it as fact and it's not, then it's not a mistake, it's a lie.

Now if they preface the report by saying, "In my opinion..." , "We feel...", or " It would appear...", then it would be accurate and acceptable. However, when they say things like, "According to unnamed sources...", or "Witnesses said...", then I'm suspicious unless they also have footage of someone actually saying it, because they have already shown a propensity for making crap up and claiming that someone said it.

• Flesh Wound likes this

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#44 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 07:18 AM

By the way, how do you know it wasn't an assault weapon? Have you personally seen it?

Could it have been an assault weapon? The answer is yes, it could have been. People do have them.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, as he was drinving home, with an assault weapon in his car.  So it is possible.

#45 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 10:24 AM

Headline..."Breaking news, man drives car through building"

What you think happened according to the headline.......a man drove his car into a building possibly going all the way through.

Next headline  " Car found defective, tranny needs a new tranny"

What really happened....Seems the car had a mechanical failure and was not driven into the building. Also found out the driver was not an actual man but a female dressing like a man.  

The story above is not fake news in my book....just reporting what happened as information was collected. 

Fake news would have been knowing the man was a woman and that the car was defective and going with the first headline.

my 2 cents

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

#46 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:00 AM

What you think happened according to the headline.......a man drove his car into a building possibly going all the way through.

What really happened....Seems the car had a mechanical failure and was not driven into the building. Also found out the driver was not an actual man but a female dressing like a man.  

The story above is not fake news in my book....just reporting what happened as information was collected. 

Fake news would have been knowing the man was a woman and that the car was defective and going with the first headline.

my 2 cents

That is apples to oranges when it comes to guns and the use of the term "Assault Rifle"

By any definition of assault rifle, the SKS does not apply.  It doesn't have a hand grip and whether a car was driven by whom or if it broke down isn't available on every cell phone in America through a simple Google. 

Your car analogy would be closer if they called the car a "gas guzzler"  SUV when their political intent was to ban "gas guzzler" SUVs when they didn't know it was a car let alone what type then it turned out to be a motorcycle. Their use of the term "Assault Rifle" when they didn't know what type of gun it was or if that gun was an assault rifle is purely political, made up for effect, thus "fake" news. 

Worse, its propaganda. 

Tj

#47 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:15 AM

That is apples to oranges when it comes to guns and the use of the term "Assault Rifle"

By any definition of assault rifle, the SKS does not apply.  It doesn't have a hand grip and whether a car was driven by whom or if it broke down isn't available on every cell phone in America through a simple Google. 

Your car analogy would be closer if they called the car a "gas guzzler"  SUV when their political intent was to ban "gas guzzler" SUVs when they didn't know it was a car let alone what type then it turned out to be a motorcycle. Their use of the term "Assault Rifle" when they didn't know what type of gun it was or if that gun was an assault rifle is purely political, made up for effect, thus "fake" news. 

Worse, its propaganda. 

Tj

I made a very simple example to the point that reports are made on what is known at the time. Regardless of what it is, it is only fake news if you know one thing and report another. 

#48 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:25 AM

Headline   "Gun kills Child"

What you think.........kid played with gun and was shot.

What happened.........kid swallowed parts of a plastic squirt gun and choked.

That's fake news.

Headline  " Kid chokes on plastic toy"

What you think happened.......kid chokes on plastic toy.

What really happened...........kid choked on plastic toy.

That is how it should be reported.......but that has no shock value and therefore no interest.

Headline    "Man shot with single shot Ruger Assault Weapon"

What you think..........."WTF"

What happened.........man was shot with a single shot rifle.

Fake News.

#49 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:30 AM

Newscaster speaking....

What you have: Fake news.

• towtruck likes this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I don't need anger management. I need people to stop pissing me off.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#50 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:50 AM

Newscaster speaking....

What you have: Fake news.

Sadly your right.........headlines are made to grab your attention. Something new, different, or odd.  It's all for ratings first and agenda second.   It does not have to be this way and I can see where things might get confused at the local level but by the time the national news picks it up it should all be vetted many times. But since the national news has the biggest audience and the biggest budget they want that sensational headline more than anyone. Reporting a baseball bat as a fighting club, a deer rifle as an assault weapon, or a pocket knife as a sword are things that need to be reported accurately.....unless you are trying to make the news fit your agenda or grab a headline.  

#51 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 11:54 AM

Sadly your right.........headlines are made to grab your attention. Something new, different, or odd.  It's all for ratings first and agenda second.   It does not have to be this way and I can see where things might get confused at the local level but by the time the national news picks it up it should all be vetted many times. But since the national news has the biggest audience and the biggest budget they want that sensational headline more than anyone. Reporting a baseball bat as a fighting club, a deer rifle as an assault weapon, or a pocket knife as a sword are things that need to be reported accurately.....unless you are trying to make the news fit your agenda or grab a headline.  

Maybe I'm becoming a cynical old Alfa-Hotel but that is how I view the news these days. Even Fox.  :nono:

#52 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 12:04 PM

Maybe I'm becoming a cynical old Alfa-Hotel but that is how I view the news these days. Even Fox.  :nono:

Heck, I've felt that way since the 1960s. 

#53 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 01:52 PM

So, why does the rifle make and model matter. That is no way a relevant fact except to be politically motivating. I personally believe when they engineer their titles and message for political impressions it becomes fake because the news is no longer the purpose.

Edited by hzhardy, Jun. 19 2017 - 10:04 PM.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#54 ONLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 02:59 PM

New on Fox, the media had the timing and who responded wrong.  Now that's not "Fake" news.  That's just reporting what they knew at the time and it has no political significance.

Tj

#55 OFFLINE   Warlike

Warlike

Help! I've fallen and can't reach My beer!

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 03:13 PM

When I studied journalism for a semester of college, the professor would always leave out at least one of the 5Ws for every scenario that we had to generate a report on, it was always surprising how many people managed to fill in all 5Ws.

Signature:
WarTrans103.gif

#56 OFFLINE   rasputin

rasputin

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 09:33 PM

My comment referred to facts by definition as being true. I did not mention fake news. Read for comprehension.

#57 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 20 2017 - 01:28 AM

G, if you believe that major news outlets are using the word "assault weapon" in the year 2017 A.D. to describe long guns that are not, by definition, assault weapons out of innocent ignorance; that's it's just an honest mistake, you are entitled to your opinion. I am sure there are tiny number of small stations that pick up the stories from the Times, Post, AP. Reuters, etc, and repeat it without thinking. But then they parrot the Liberal line from all the major outlets.

Who would ever expect the reporting of the news to ever possibly include fact checking.  Maybe getting the story right. That would be a totally unreasonable expectation of the news industry to report accurately.  Never enters their mind,eh ? Nope, like you said gun control is not a big issue in the goold old USA, the major news outlets NEVER use stories like this one to advocate for control before the bodies are even cold or the surgeries are over. Never enters their mind, eh ?  That's why you spend all that time, and energy volunteering for The Friends of the NRA.  Because gun owners don't have to deal with deliberate media distortion, or that no good crisis should go wasted when it comes to spreading propaganda and fighting against gun rights.

Uh-huh.

If you really do not believe that these major news outlets don't have a gun control agenda they are pushing, and don't use that term on purpose to further their agenda, I have some ocean front property I want to sell you on the banks of the Big Muddy River right where it dumps into the Mississippi.  

By the way, what did you name your new unicorn colt of yours ? 

#58 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 20 2017 - 01:43 AM

my 2 cents

I am old enough to remember a time in this country where as a story unfolded, the networks held back on reporting anything when they did not have the facts.

They sent actual journalists out into the field to work their sources, get corroboration, and then reported what actually happened.

If they did not know something, they told us that, and would get us the information as soon as they could.

Did they still make mistakes? Sure? Was the media the agenda driven 24 hour circus it is today? No. 

Would the majority of the news media poll in favor of stricter gun control like today ?  I really doubt it. 

They were not falling over each other to get the scoop, and actually worried about getting the story wrong. Integrity mattered. Remember the election of Truman? They still have not lived that down.

Have we really gotten to the point that we will accept any BS they use to fill the 24 hour news cycle instead of demanding they take the time to verify the truth of the matter ? No, I guess the ratings show people would rather have it fast than accurate anymore. Just another part of our instant gratification society.

The networks lust for being first has the effect of spreading false information. People may never get or believe the real story when so many versions are presented as truth.  A free and accurate non-agenda driven press is so important to our Republic, it is so sad to see people giving them a pass on  what passes for journalism these days. If it were not so important, it would be funny.

#59 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

Posted Jun. 20 2017 - 06:14 AM

Have we really gotten to the point that we will accept any BS they use to fill the 24 hour news cycle instead of demanding they take the time to verify the truth of the matter ? No, I guess the ratings show people would rather have it fast than accurate anymore. Just another part of our instant gratification society.

The networks lust for being first has the effect of spreading false information. People may never get or believe the real story when so many versions are presented as truth.  A free and accurate non-agenda driven press is so important to our Republic, it is so sad to see people giving them a pass on  what passes for journalism these days. If it were not so important, it would be funny.

Yes, that is the problem in a nutshell. In the quest to fill the cycle, the media jumps on every offhand remark, or stupid joke, and it becomes an issue, and then a major issue, and then an investigation.  That, along with reporting everythign and anything without fact checking. Interviewing kindergarten friends. It's just sad.

Our local paper has two reporters. Just two. They don't report anything much either.  Very sad.

#60 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 20 2017 - 06:49 AM

Yes, that is the problem in a nutshell. In the quest to fill the cycle, the media jumps on every offhand remark, or stupid joke, and it becomes an issue, and then a major issue, and then an investigation.  That, along with reporting everythign and anything without fact checking. Interviewing kindergarten friends. It's just sad.

Our local paper has two reporters. Just two. They don't report anything much either.  Very sad.

The largest paper in the area, The Southern Illinoisan, has starter having a millennial tell her life story on the editorial page.

Enough people complained, and she wrote a couple of real editorials instead and then went back to the SOS.

I guess that all she had in her that went beyond "What I Dis on Summer Vacation".

Our paper refuses to take a pro stance on anything but Mom and apple pie, 

and refuses to take a stand against anything than the State's lack of a budget, child rapists, and killers of puppies. 

We need a renaissance in our journalism schools, but since they are mostly run by left wing ideologies,

with an agenda as important to them as Stalin's, I don't see that happening. 

G, You can't believe when the major wire services and the Papers of Record in this country report in error

about "assault weapons" that it is an honest mistake, can you ?  You are not naive by any means. 

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center