Photo

Looking for a lower for a pistol build

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spennyd2009

spennyd2009

• Group:New Members

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 03:03 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on the right lower to pick for a pistol build I want to do. Don't know why but I keep coming back to Tennessee arms hybrid polymer lower. Anyone used one or have any important info on it before I buy it?? Very open to ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 OFFLINE   hotcakes

hotcakes

• Group:Members*

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 03:16 PM

I'm in the same boat!  I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust finished an AR build today with a 16in barrel from the ground up and now I'm soooooooooooooooo itchy to make a pistol version.  I got myself a kinda fancy custom PSA upper/lower and paid a lot for it for this build so I don't really wanna build another 1000 dollar gun so I'm thinking I don't wanna get a fancy expensive lower but there sure are some nice ones out there for a 2, 3 and 4 hundred dollars but I think I'll go with something more simple this time. Maybe even an anderson lower or aero precision deal.  This one called MAG or something like that and it's suppost to be real light and only costs about the same as an anderson and it comes in black or FDE too, it's on the buds gun site.  

• spennyd2009 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   spennyd2009

spennyd2009

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 05:07 PM

I'm in the same boat!  I juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust finished an AR build today with a 16in barrel from the ground up and now I'm soooooooooooooooo itchy to make a pistol version.  I got myself a kinda fancy custom PSA upper/lower and paid a lot for it for this build so I don't really wanna build another 1000 dollar gun so I'm thinking I don't wanna get a fancy expensive lower but there sure are some nice ones out there for a 2, 3 and 4 hundred dollars but I think I'll go with something more simple this time. Maybe even an anderson lower or aero precision deal.  This one called MAG or something like that and it's suppost to be real light and only costs about the same as an anderson and it comes in black or FDE too, it's on the buds gun site.  

#4 OFFLINE   spennyd2009

spennyd2009

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 05:09 PM

Yeah I want something light and definitely in 300 blackout. I want something I can use for home defense, short and maneuverable... but I also wouldn't mind having it in my back seat either. I've been looking at badger state and ghost firearms uppers. Probably 10.5 inch.

#5 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Members

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 05:15 PM

Unless you never plan to drop it or will only be shooting 22LR avoid all polymer lowers. Hybrid or not.

Of course, it's your money, spend it as you will. But don't come back and ask what went wrong. 

Signature:

Flesh Wound

Blessed are the peacekeepers.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#6 OFFLINE   hotcakes

hotcakes

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 05:59 PM

well polymer lowers might be better than you think. I don't have any experience with those kind but if they are anything like polymer pistol frames then it may be good and I might prefer it over an aluminum one cause a polymer can take more of a beating and not show mare and scratches then aluminum.  I know on some of my flashlights that are polymer I've dropped them so many times and one has been all over the world on various missions with me and it still looks almost brand new after like a decade and on some of my expensive flashlights that have aluminum bodies I've dropped it like just a few feet on carpet and it has a ding it it

#7 OFFLINE   spennyd2009

spennyd2009

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:23 PM

Yeah I figured the glock is polymer, can't go
Wrong. But also why I posted this, trying to get some opinions from people that have used them. I'm a little skeptical about it.

#8 OFFLINE   hotcakes

hotcakes

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:27 PM

I bêt there's a lot of videos on youtube. I look on there to find out everything!

#9 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:42 PM

STAY AWAY from polymer AR lowers unless you are building a dedicate .22lr AR. Polymer lowers are prone to breakage at the rear of the receiver and, in some cases, around the front of the receiver where the pivot pin is. Stick with a forged or billet aluminum lower receiver. You will not regret it.

Signature:

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

5b5tg4.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   hotcakes

hotcakes

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:43 PM

STAY AWAY from polymer AR lowers unless you are building a dedicate .22lr AR. Polymer lowers are prone to breakage at the rear of the receiver and, in some cases, around the front of the receiver where the pivot pin is. Stick with a forged or billet aluminum lower receiver. You will not regret it.

Well I've been watching youtube videos and it seems those problems are a thing of the past cause now they are reinforcing those areas with steel

#11 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:45 PM

well polymer lowers might be better than you think. I don't have any experience with those kind but if they are anything like polymer pistol frames then it may be good and I might prefer it over an aluminum one cause a polymer can take more of a beating and not show mare and scratches then aluminum.  I know on some of my flashlights that are polymer I've dropped them so many times and one has been all over the world on various missions with me and it still looks almost brand new after like a decade and on some of my expensive flashlights that have aluminum bodies I've dropped it like just a few feet on carpet and it has a ding it it

Yep. Polymer definitely can be used in a lot of scenarios. There are key points on an Ar lower though that are prone to high stress, especially if one has to mortar it.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#12 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:46 PM

This is NOT a viable argument for polymer AR lowers. The pressure that an AR's receiver are subject to is a big detriment to polymer lowers as is the area where the receiver extension attaches to the lower. It is not about holding up to scratches or dings. It is about breakage at the weak points.

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Jun. 19 2017 - 06:50 PM.

• chrisdivebum likes this

#13 OFFLINE   hotcakes

hotcakes

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 06:52 PM

maybe this one would be the safest bet

http://www.primaryar...en-2-apar501101

#14 OFFLINE   spennyd2009

spennyd2009

Posted Jun. 19 2017 - 07:01 PM

Yeah I'd rather avoid those issues and just go with the aluminum I think. That's why I posted, just curious on some feed back. Thanks!

#15 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jun. 20 2017 - 12:19 AM

maybe this one would be the safest bet

http://www.primaryar...en-2-apar501101

Now yer talking. An Aero for $50! Booyea!

#16 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

Posted Jun. 21 2017 - 02:05 PM

No nothing at all about the pistol builds, but if its any help i recieved an email on a sale from primary arms this morning.
American flag lower & upper. Both sota 7075 billet. $100.00 for both. Hope this helps as i think for both thats a killer price!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

#17 OFFLINE   joshm

joshm

Posted Jun. 21 2017 - 07:44 PM

No nothing at all about the pistol builds, but if its any help i recieved an email on a sale from primary arms this morning.
American flag lower & upper. Both sota 7075 billet. $100.00 for both. Hope this helps as i think for both thats a killer price!

Saw that too. That's a bad ass deal for a paired set of billets. Heck that's a good price on a set of plan forged receivers.

#18 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

Posted Jun. 21 2017 - 08:07 PM

Saw that too. That's a bad ass deal for a paired set of billets. Heck that's a good price on a set of plan forged receivers.

Thats what i thought.if you know how to spread the word to more members i think it might be much appreciated.
I have all ar's i need, yet still thinking about for that price.

#19 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

Posted Jun. 21 2017 - 08:09 PM

Yep. Polymer definitely can be used in a lot of scenarios. There are key points on an Ar lower though that are prone to high stress, especially if one has to mortar it.

Hey newbe. Mortar it???
Not familiar with the term, please clarify for me. Thnx brother

#20 ONLINE   chrisdivebum

chrisdivebum

Posted Jun. 21 2017 - 08:12 PM

This is NOT a viable argument for polymer AR lowers. The pressure that an AR's receiver are subject to is a big detriment to polymer lowers as is the area where the receiver extension attaches to the lower. It is not about holding up to scratches or dings. It is about breakage at the weak points.

I agree. In my mind that is the only stress point on a lower. Nothing in the fire control pocket

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center