• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 09:58 AM

Because you like muskets? :segrin:

Compoind*

#22 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 01:04 PM

If you have it set at 75 back it down right now. The bow is only rated for 70 cranking it above that can damage the bow.
Now as far as what poundage to hunt with, yes a few more FPS can and will hurt you. My general rule is take a chair outside, sit down sideways to your target. Lift your feet off the ground holding your legs straight. Now draw the bow. If you have to raise it above your shoulder, you are pulling too much. If you cant let it down without it jerking you are drawing too much. Sit in a stand in 35-40 degree weather for 2-3 hours before you have to be quiet as a mouse getting and drawing your bow and 5 pounds makes a hell of a difference. I had a buddy a couple of years go that was all about speed. Well I took him out to a 3d range and after a good 20 minute or so warm up, we started walking the course. He has his bow jacked up to 70, I think I was running maybe around 62. After 15 targets he could barely hold the bow at full draw, after 5 more he could even pull it. I was still not straining. He dropped his bow back down that afternoon.
Archery is not about speed it is about control. Most archery shots are inside of 30 yards (at least from treestands for white tail). There is only a split second difference between 270 and 320 FPS not enough that it is going to make a difference at that range.
Now this is not to say that you should never crank it up. I hunt with a different poundage each year. Not because I like to move it around but it changes because of the amount of practice before the season. If I start very early likeI should, shooting right after Turkey season, maybe some 3d or other competitions during the summer my form is strong and my muscles are toned for that activity. I might end up at 70 before the season starts. If I start a month before opening day like I normally do, I tend to stay below 65.

Years ago I was hunting in Michigan, about 2/3 of the way up the state. We had a great first day but woke up to much colder temperature, in the mid twentys. I was not dressed for those temps especially when the snow storm started coming in. I was setting in a jack pine only about 15 ft up. After about 3 hours a little 6 pt was coming into my lane. I started to draw my bow which was set a 65 lbs. I had been shooting that all summer long and was fine with the weight and shooting a 2216 Easton arrow with a Thunderhead 125 gr broadhead. I started to pull and it felt like my bow was at 100 lbs. I tried again but could not get it over the cam lobe, which wasn't much of one at all. Now I'm getting pissed and moving the bow up high to gain some leverage, still could not pull it back. Lol, I was shaking so bad from the cold and trying to draw the bow that the tree was shaking. The Buck had stopped and was trying to figure out what in the world was going on.
It had to be funny as heck seeing some idiot up in a tree and it shaking like that. He was stomping and snorting and I was shaking and moving all over the place trying to draw it back. I swear he was laughing when he turned his butt towards me and walked off.
When you get that cold and stiff it is amazing the effect it will have on you.
Do as Red suggested, draw it at off angles, setting down and using nothing but you shoulder muscle to draw it back while keeping the bow still.

Edited by devil duck, Nov. 23 2017 - 01:05 PM.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#23 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 01:23 PM

Good point and example DD!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#24 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 02:54 PM

I have a recurve. there's a reason I bought a recurve.

Because you like muskets? :segrin:

You know Newbe, the compound bow is a wonderful tool for most people to hunt and enjoy archery.

But to me, the compound bow is the musket.

With a longbow or recurve, an instinctive shooter can get more arrows on target at a faster rate. 

Longbows and recurves shot instinctively can be shot from multiple positions most compound shooter would never consider.

The real issue is it takes quite a bit of time and effort to be a Toxophilite.

Most people don't have the time in this "Modern Age".

And my last question is... Why did Scientific American give the composite recurve bow a cover story if it was such a "Musket".

cH0MwpR.jpg

Going to leave you with this video.

Very similar to the palm out method of shooting with a back quiver I use.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rn8mq7FS5fY

Enjoy.

Sorry to pontificate in your thread Jaeger48. 

enjoy your new bow, and practice, practice practice.

Thanks,

Glenn

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark will blow minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#25 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 09:45 PM

My uncle has a Black Widow Recurve, it is absolutely gorgeous. He is extremely accurate with it and his wooden arrows. He gets them custom made from a older gentleman in Dunlap. He has some arrows that are made from some type of wild rose bush. He used to use a cedar shaft when he shot a long bow but now he uses Hickory arrows.

Edited by devil duck, Nov. 23 2017 - 09:45 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 10:35 PM

You know Newbe, the compound bow is a wonderful tool for most people to hunt and enjoy archery.
But to me, the compound bow is the musket.
With a longbow or recurve, an instinctive shooter can get more arrows on target at a faster rate. 
Longbows and recurves shot instinctively can be shot from multiple positions most compound shooter would never consider.
The real issue is it takes quite a bit of time and effort to be a Toxophilite.
Most people don't have the time in this "Modern Age".
And my last question is... Why did Scientific American give the composite recurve bow a cover story if it was such a "Musket".

cH0MwpR.jpg

Going to leave you with this video.
Very similar to the palm out method of shooting with a back quiver I use.

Enjoy.

Sorry to pontificate in your thread Jaeger48. 
enjoy your new bow, and practice, practice practice.

Thanks,
Glenn

I was just funn'n with you Glenn. I always enjoy your posts here on the armory. Hope I didn't offend you :thumb:

Edit:
Just watched the video. Pretty cool! Amazing how fast that guy can shoot!
  • geepee3 likes this

#27 OFFLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Nov. 23 2017 - 11:41 PM

I was just funn'n with you Glenn. I always enjoy your posts here on the armory. Hope I didn't offend you :thumb:

Edit:
Just watched the video. Pretty cool! Amazing how fast that guy can shoot!

Yes Brother, I know you are funn'n. No offence taken.

Having a little funn'in with you myself. Hopefully no offence given.

Like kinfolk, we give each other a little loving jab here and there.

Thanks,

Glenn

#28 OFFLINE   talonhead

talonhead

• Group:Members

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:41 AM

I got into archery quite a few years ago, as my state doesn’t restrict the size of property to hunt with a bow. I was lucky to get referred to a guy that trains folks for competition (instinctive, compound for bulls eye and 3D). He set me up with a compound that I felt comfortable with.
I would like to get into instinctive with a recurve or long type of bow. My wife shot both in school when in school. IN CA NO LESS! She wants to get back into it.
I found that if it’s got sites, I can do it easily. I had a Bear recurve when I was a kid in AK, but didn’t have a clue as how to shoot it! Maybe it time to learn.
MikeH

Forum Statistics

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center