Photo

Strut question, stripped shaft nut

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   smb5769

smb5769

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Nov. 11 2017 - 04:37 PM

I was replacing the front struts on my wife's Saturn Outlook. Got the Gabriel struts, left side went off without a hitch. Right side, I couldn't get my torque wrench to click tightening the new strut and after trying for a few minutes with a six point 9mm the wrench surface on top of the shaft stripped. Now I can neither tighten or loosen the strut shaft. Of course the shaft top is below the mount where no grinder can touch it, tried hammering a 11/32 12 point on top and it also stripped....only thing left is a vise grip on the shaft and that is a no no. Any hints? I can't even figure out why it stripped and wouldn't go to torque setting even though I was pulling my butt off. Spring was compressed fully so I don't THINK it was that, but who knows.

Signature:
The liberties of our country, the freedoms of our civil Constitution are worth defending at all hazards; it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors. They purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood. It will bring a mark of everlasting infamy on the present generation enlightened as it is if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of designing men.
Samuel Adams

#2 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Nov. 11 2017 - 04:43 PM

Is it kinda like this issue?
http://www.saturnfan...ad.php?t=178641

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#3 OFFLINE   Steelborn1

Steelborn1

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Nov. 11 2017 - 05:46 PM

Usually don't have to hold the shaft when using an impact to loosen or tighten. I'd take the assembly to a shop and see if you can throw a few bucks at a tech to tighten it up for ya.

Signature:
I WILL NOT COMPLY!!!!
"Sittin' on 2000 horsepower of nitro injected war machine!"
"Pigs are just life support systems for bacon and BBQ!" Redbarron

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center