• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Professional Elephant Shat Catcher.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Nov. 30 2017 - 02:09 PM

OK fellas, 

gotta put off getting a good pumper for HD.

Planning to get a mossberg but the prices go through the roof with each step up in quality/reliability.

I was originally planning to get a 590A1 SPX, but local shops running $800  for it... before tax...... dayum....

Now, the 500 to 590 upgrade gets a heavier duty barrel/walls, then the 590 to 590A1 upgrade gets metal trigger group and saftey....

For the highest reliability, the 590A1 is obvious, but for the price increases and considering I won't be putting 1000s of rounds per year(lucky to hit 300 per year honestly), iss it really worth the increase in price?

Just looking at the MSRPs, the 500 9 shot with ghost rings to the 590A1 9 shot with ghost rings is nearly double the price....

Now, to further complicate things, Ive been collecting all the small arms of our various military forces.  I know the marins heavily used the 590A1s, but my understanding is that nearly every cariation of the 500, 590, and 590A1s were used throughout our military...

So if I am buying from the added perspective of wanting something on par our boy would have carried.... which model would be most representative?  or is that not really a viable question due to branches differences and ordering?

Signature:

worshipsig1.gif

"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men."

- Sgt Zim - Starship Troopers

"I'm the itch you can't scratch! The gas you can't pass!"

- Jack Stiles

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

-H. L. Mencken

FUAC

#2 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 08:02 AM

wow, no opinions on which quality level is suficient for a lifetime of civilian HD...

#3 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 11:44 AM

I have three Mossberg pumps.  My 20 gauge is well over 50 years old, was my fathers.  I learned on on it and hunted with it for decades.  I have a 500 Regal, with interchangable barrels I bought in the early 80's and a MIL Spec surplus 590. 

There's not much to say about quality other than like most shotguns they are made to last a lifetime or two. 

The main feature of the 590A1 is its extended tube holding 9 shots.  All I can say about this gun is its intent is not hunting but self defense.  Shooting birdshot, it has no pattern but spreads like a sawed off.  Does much better with 00.  Mine has the speedloader stock which allows you to load it with slugs so you can alternate your shot selection quickly.  Mine is setup with a red dot, sling, and yes bayonet lug.  Mainly its the extended tube mag that's the draw and its lack of choke for self defense.

#4 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Dec. 06 2017 - 09:53 AM

Thanks TJ, so realistically it sounds like aside from the 9 round capacity, any model would be more than fine for a lifetime of HD...

I wasnt simplicity(no chokes) but it sounds like I don't need to spend the coin for top of the line....

#5 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Dec. 06 2017 - 04:53 PM

Thanks TJ, so realistically it sounds like aside from the 9 round capacity, any model would be more than fine for a lifetime of HD...

I wasnt simplicity(no chokes) but it sounds like I don't need to spend the coin for top of the line....

You know on this topic I always think of "My Cousin Vinny" the cute little deer line, "You really think he cares what kind of pants the bastiage is wearing".  :hysterical3:

Its just a true with shotguns.  I bought my Mil Spec well because I happened on about 200 of them at a gunshow years ago for $200 each.  Same show, they had the mag fed Saiga 12 for $200.  Man, I blew that one.  I should have bought a couple but then if I go down that road oh man, the surplus guns i should have bought. 

Anyway if you are using a shotgun, the targets going to be close.  Its strength, any shot gun, is the variety of shells not the shot gun.  Unlike a handgun, capacity isn't as important.  For example, one Winchester mag 00 is the equivalent of 14 .32 caliber hits on one target at one time.  That's just a tad of stopping power.

My current grab shotgun actually is double barrel, opting two really fast shots over slower multiple shots.  Its got a 6p mounted so an excellent nighttime critter gun.  That said, if i have a breakin, the badguy will probably shoot me while i"m making up my mind which gun to grab. :hysterical3:

#6 OFFLINE   captainbarred

captainbarred

Posted Dec. 07 2017 - 08:56 AM

:lolabove:

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center