Photo

Brass Catcher

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

• Group:Members*

Posted Dec. 03 2017 - 11:13 PM

Who makes a really good brass catcher for the AR15?

#2 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Dec. 03 2017 - 11:18 PM

Who makes a really good brass catcher for the AR15?

Caldwell rail mounted. But you have to add a pad to the back wall that the brass hits. The brass will make a hole and your cases will fly out that hole every time. A simple pad on the inside of the frame fixes that issue. 

https://www.sportsma...kRoCiFcQAvD_BwE

I think newbe had his wife sew a piece of canvas on his...maybe he can post a picture.

I have the mount on three uppers right now.....all you need is a little rail space...

FxPVoAW.jpg?1

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#3 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Dec. 03 2017 - 11:47 PM

Here is my bag as it is now....I rebuilt the mesh with pink vinyl and it has over 7000 rounds on it now.

20160415_121216_zpsudedu90n.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Dec. 04 2017 - 09:42 AM

If you are just bench shooting these are great.

http://www.cabelas.c...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Dec. 04 2017 - 12:17 PM

The $10 Caldwell works OK. 

By far though, best approach is if you have kids, even nephews and nieces, you pay them to gather the brass up.  Sometimes, I'll pull a big ole tarp out and lay it down and sometimes at a range I'll drop a screen down from the rafter to keep my brass in my area so I can sweep it up.  The later is not a bad idea period.  Got the idea from the MIL range I use that has the screens permanently installed.  It keeps your brass from pelting the shooter at the next bench. 

Tj

#6 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members

Posted Dec. 04 2017 - 01:17 PM

I just ordered a rigid plastic snap on catcher from E&L. I should have it by the end of the week and I'll do a review.

The Model #103B fits with or w/o the carry handle.

103.jpg

https://elmfg.com/st...ml#Anchor-23240

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vince Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

#7 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Dec. 06 2017 - 10:22 PM

I just ordered a rigid plastic snap on catcher from E&L. I should have it by the end of the week and I'll do a review.

103.jpg

Looks good for the non scoped guns.

#8 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Dec. 06 2017 - 11:05 PM

Looks good for the non scoped guns.

I'll have to wait 'til I get it to know whether it's realistic to use on a gun with just rings and no other mount. Maybe with a little discreet trimming?

It's supposed to be here Friday, and of course it's supposed to snow Saturday. :124:

#9 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

Posted Dec. 07 2017 - 10:09 AM

I used to own a plastic manufacturing business.  In addition to all the industrial "stuff" we made, we had a fabrication department.  Something like that would be fairly easy to make.  But I'd be concerned with it's probably weight..........especially hanging off to one side like that.  Interested in your reports, since I'm interested in catching my brass.

#10 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Dec. 07 2017 - 10:34 AM

My only other concern is whether it damages brass on impact or not. If it does, then I'll likely add some sticky-backed felt as a cushion.

One way or another I'll have a catcher in short order. Finding brass in grass and leaves has been tough enough up 'til now, but I'm NOT going to fish for brass in the snow!

#11 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

Posted Dec. 07 2017 - 10:36 AM

Honestly hadn't thought about brass damage.  Installing a pad would be no problem.

#12 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Dec. 08 2017 - 06:55 PM

It came today as expected, but I didn't get home much before dark so I haven't had much chance yet to check it out.

From my preliminary examination I've determined that I may indeed have to do some minor trimming to get it to fit with a scope and rings (no QD base/mount) or BUIS. Tomorrow I'll investigate it more, but I think it will be just fine on my .300BLK, which is the one I most want to catch brass for anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   Joel74

Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Dec. 08 2017 - 07:36 PM

103.jpg

Must just be me, but looks like it blocks access to the trigger.

Signature:

I will not comply.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

kCkMAZA.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   Underdog

Underdog

• Group:New Members

Posted Dec. 08 2017 - 07:49 PM

It might sound crazy but I use an old briefcase. Open it and place it next to you on you shooting table, it works wonderful and is a great conversation piece. I like to keep my rifle as light and handy as possible, and the briefcase makes that possible.

#15 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Dec. 08 2017 - 08:24 PM

Must just be me, but looks like it blocks access to the trigger.

It's just the angle of the picture. Actually there is no obstruction to access the trigger or mag release.

It stands out and angles out away from the receiver at about a 30° angle.

I'll post up several pics tomorrow, but for now this will give you an idea of it's profile.

6r6TbY6.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

Posted Dec. 09 2017 - 05:36 PM

Yup...........that will definitely leave room for access to the trigger.

#17 OFFLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Dec. 09 2017 - 07:44 PM

Okay, as promised I fitted it up today and took a few pics.

First, as I suspected there wasn't sufficient clearance for rings (or BUIS if mounted).

sgsx54j.jpg

So I trimmed it back with a Dremel and rotary rasp (yes, I did clean it up after I took this pic).

r0TPBnR.jpg

I also narrowed up the whole saddle by about ¼" off the front to give me a bit more room between the rings.

XmNFzMP.jpg

These next two pics show that there is plenty of room for access to the trigger and mag release.

uUnwx4u.jpg

MRq6IOn.jpg

The fit is tight to snap it on under the rings, but not too tight. I'm going to like this setup.

Now I need to get out to shoot with it to see if it dings my brass, and if it does I'll add some sticky backed felt for a cushion.

I'll also mention that it needs to be installed with the dust cover closed, as it actually snaps in place on the bottom of the hinge. When you chamber the first round the cover opens inside the catcher.

#18 OFFLINE   ScoutnUSA

ScoutnUSA

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 10:44 AM

I use a coldwell mesh catcher that velcros around the rear of the barrel, the type that has a permanent rail mounted clip won't fit due to where the scope mount it.

It works well but if you rapidly fired a full 30 rd mag the hot brass would likely melt the mesh but I don't shoot that much or that fast at a time.

It is inexpensive and light weight and fits my needs.

I like catchers because I don't want to be hitting the guy next to me with hot brass.

Darrell

#19 OFFLINE   Chris645

Chris645

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 04:35 PM

I sighted in my rifle today with my 1x4 Nikon Monarch Scope.  I shot about 18 shots and was unable to find 3 of the cases in the leaves.  That cements it, I'm buying a brass catcher.  I appreciate all the comments and recommendations.  Think I'll be ordering the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Mount Brass Catcher.

#20 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 06:10 PM

I sighted in my rifle today with my 1x4 Nikon Monarch Scope.  I shot about 18 shots and was unable to find 3 of the cases in the leaves.  That cements it, I'm buying a brass catcher.  I appreciate all the comments and recommendations.  Think I'll be ordering the Caldwell Picatinny Rail Mount Brass Catcher.

Sweet, when you get it make a pad that fits at the rear of the bag at the ejection port area. I affixed mine to the wire cage, newbe sewed his to the bag I believe. The brass will exit the gun in the same place making a tiny hole in the net that will spit the cases out. Once I put in the fix I never lose any except for one or two might fall out the bottom but the land right under the gun. 

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center