cordless electric lawnmowers

33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 12:40 PM

Does anybody have one?

With the new house it takes about 30 minutes to cut the front yard and about the same for the back.  Since 2006 I have been using a service on the old house but I dont see a need for that with the new one.  The issue is that I dont own a lawnmower.  Been looking around and see the new electric cordless ones.  No gas, no oil, no pulling on cords trying to get it to start.  Seems like a good idea but what is the long term reliability of them?

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

• Group:E.S. Staff

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 12:45 PM

Never used one, but id start bu looking at the run/recharge times and go from there.

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."

"On every unauthoritative exercise of power by the legislature must the people rise in rebellion or their silence be construed into a surrender of that power to them? If so, how many rebellions should we have had already?"

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#3 ONLINE   j-dub

j-dub

Zombie H-K

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:06 PM

most I've seen around here have a run time of around 45 minutes.  if you're concerned about running out of power, buy a second battery and keep it charged just in case.   my in-laws bought one last year at lowes, and they are very happy with it so far.  they do have a small yard, maybe 20 minutes to do the front and back. 

I just picked up a Husqvarna aw800 last year, and I am really happy with it.  I don't have a smallish yard though.

Signature:

#4 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:21 PM

Out of curiosity, why not gas?

I bought a self drive Honda several years ago, and it still fired up right away with just a couple pulls.

I have no doubt it'll last several more years as well.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#5 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:22 PM

Never used one, but id start bu looking at the run/recharge times and go from there.

most I've seen around here have a run time of around 45 minutes.  if you're concerned about running out of power, buy a second battery and keep it charged just in case.   my in-laws bought one last year at lowes, and they are very happy with it so far.  they do have a small yard, maybe 20 minutes to do the front and back. 
I just picked up a Husqvarna aw800 last year, and I am really happy with it.  I don't have a smallish yard though.

As far a spare batteries I already have 1/2 dozen Ryobi 18V batteries, so that should give me close to about 2 hours of run time and with that many batteries I can pretty much have 2 charging while I am running down the other 4.

I know there 40 volt systems out there too but moving up too that would add about $100 to the tag plus another bill for an extra battery. The Ryobi 18V is actually a “hybrid” system that will also work plugged in so there is always the extension cord option but I cant imagine how much of a PITA that would be.

#6 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:24 PM

Out of curiosity, why not gas?
I bought a self drive Honda several years ago, and it still fired up right away with just a couple pulls.
I have no doubt it'll last several more years as well.

All I have ever used is gas I am just looking at the options. It would be nice not to have to deal with gas cans, oil cans and stuff like that. I haven’t compared the price difference but normally electric is more expensive. How much more depends on of course name brand, options and such.

#7 ONLINE   ScoutnUSA

ScoutnUSA

• Group:Members

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 01:41 PM

I have used 18v and 20V drills, saws and impact drivers for close to 20 years in construction, Both NiCad and LiOn. While the LiOn units work very well for what I need I just don't see an 18v lawn mower system lasting long on a typical size drill battery, especially if the grass is wet of thick. Do a review search online or Amazon and see what people say. Quality electrics can last a long time, cheap stuff will just fizzle out, over heat and burn bushings etc.

Not having any idea of the test criteria the 45 minute run time doesn't mean much.

Personally Ryobi has been pretty low quality in the past, so I quite using them 15 years ago, they may be better now but I don't know anyone in the trades who use them. The fact you can run something like 200 different tools on the same battery pack is definitely nice tho.

I have a 20V DeWalt 6-1/2" circular saw I use quite a bit and it is great but that is spinning a small blade not an 18 or 20 incher. Also the rapid depletion of a 18v battery in such a high demand tool is going to get those things hot and it will ruin batteries very fast in my opinion.

I would go for the 40v units if you are going to do it.

The fact they are quiet is definitely a big bonus especially if you can get a trimmer and blower that use the same battery......

In 10 or 15 years are you still going to be able to get replacement batteries, a quality new gas engine for a lawnmower can be had for about 50% more than a single replacement quality battery,

Darrell

#8 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 02:28 PM

I have used 18v and 20V drills, saws and impact drivers for close to 20 years in construction, Both NiCad and LiOn. While the LiOn units work very well for what I need I just don't see an 18v lawn mower system lasting long on a typical size drill battery, especially if the grass is wet of thick. Do a review search online or Amazon and see what people say. Quality electrics can last a long time, cheap stuff will just fizzle out, over heat and burn bushings etc.
Not having any idea of the test criteria the 45 minute run time doesn't mean much.
Personally Ryobi has been pretty low quality in the past, so I quite using them 15 years ago, they may be better now but I don't know anyone in the trades who use them. The fact you can run something like 200 different tools on the same battery pack is definitely nice tho.
I have a 20V DeWalt 6-1/2" circular saw I use quite a bit and it is great but that is spinning a small blade not an 18 or 20 incher. Also the rapid depletion of a 18v battery in such a high demand tool is going to get those things hot and it will ruin batteries very fast in my opinion.
I would go for the 40v units if you are going to do it.
The fact they are quiet is definitely a big bonus especially if you can get a trimmer and blower that use the same battery......
In 10 or 15 years are you still going to be able to get replacement batteries, a quality new gas engine for a lawnmower can be had for about 50% more than a single replacement quality battery,

Darrell

Thanks for the insight. I have several of the Ryobi tools. Now I only do little home projects but other than one recip saw that started smoking from the motor after about 3 minutes of use I have not had any issues with them. The saw was quickly exchanged and I just used its replacement for about 30 minutes straight with no issues.

The mower actually runs on 2 batteries like the 10 inch radial saw. I dont know if it is 36 volt system or just 18x2 for longer life. The 40 volt system is a little more expensive and I already have a blower and weed eater in the 18 platform.

#9 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 04:05 PM

Whodathunkit, Red going green?  :segrin:

I just can't bring myself to go electric with real yard equipment. Y'all convinced me to jump to rechargeable when it came down to drills, but I still don't think that there's enough ass in a cordless electric to do the job long term. A gas mower, with $2 in gas, a bit of sandpaper, a screwdriver and a couple wrenches, you can keep it going through almost anything. I have a gas mower that was a cheap-o, expected to only last a couple seasons. I've put stabilizer in it the past couple years, but before that I just dumped the tank. It's still going after almost 5 years. I probably should change the oil this year. It's probably worked out to be $30 a year so far, and that's pretty damned cheap considering that it's probably going to go another 10 years without any issues. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#10 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 05 2017 - 04:08 PM

Green has nothing to do with it, but you bringing it up just pisses me off that I have to pay the fed and state a tax just to cut my damn grass.

#11 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 12:38 AM

We have a Honda mower that is about 25 years old and still starts on the first pull. Even after sitting in the shed all winter it fires up on 3 or so pulls. I change the oil, sharpen the blade and clean the air filter in the spring and that is about it. Changing the oil and buying gas is a small inconvenience, but not compared to battery life. The batteries will deteriorate by both age and charging cycles and replacements will likely not be cheap. Also, you have no guarantee that a compatible replacement battery will be readily available 10 or 15 years down the road? We did however switch to a rechargable edge trimmer 2 years ago and are very happy with it. We have A 1/4 lot and will go to another Honda when this one gives out. I would use an electric for one of those tiny city lawns, and I do think that given time the electrics will dominate the walk behind mower market.

#12 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 12:44 AM

I just can't bring myself to go electric with real yard equipment. Y'all convinced me to jump to rechargeable when it came down to drills, but I still don't think that there's enough ass in a cordless electric to do the job long term. A gas mower, with $2 in gas, a bit of sandpaper, a screwdriver and a couple wrenches, you can keep it going through almost anything. I have a gas mower that was a cheap-o, expected to only last a couple seasons. I've put stabilizer in it the past couple years, but before that I just dumped the tank. It's still going after almost 5 years. I probably should change the oil this year. It's probably worked out to be $30 a year so far, and that's pretty damned cheap considering that it's probably going to go another 10 years without any issues. 

A main advantage I see with the electrics is quiet operation. Our Honda is not loud but a near silent electric mover would make listening to music on headphones nice and pleasant.

Edited by gmor, Dec. 10 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 12:48 AM

We have a Honda mower that is about 25 years old and still starts on the first pull. Even after sitting in the shed all winter it fires up on 3 or so pulls. I change the oil, sharpen the blade and clean the air filter in the spring and that is about it. Changing the oil and buying gas is a small inconvenience, but not compared to battery life. The batteries will deteriorate by both age and charging cycles and replacements will likely not be cheap. Also, you have no guarantee that a compatible replacement battery will be readily available 10 or 15 years down the road? We did however switch to a rechargable edge trimmer 2 years ago and are very happy with it. We have A 1/4 lot and will go to another Honda when this one gives out. I would use an electric for one of those tiny city lawns, and I do think that given time the electrics will dominate the walk behind mower market.

If I were to go with the dual 18 volt system, batteries and replacements would not be an issue. Ryobi has not changed thier battery interface in almost 20 years. The same batteries that come with the tools, including this mower work on my 16 year old tool kit I got in 01. While I dont consider Ryobi “professional grade” cordless tools the battery interface is the one thing they have out performed all of the other manufactures. I already have 6 4ah batteries that would be able to work in the mower and a charger that charges 6 at a time. This yard is one of the little “city lots”. It’s the biggest dislike I have about this house. The driveway is just barley long enough for me to hook my camper (27 feet including tongue) up to my truck. If they are not hooked up I have to back up within a foot of the hitch to fit the trunk in the driveway. I would at least be able to do the front and side yards (which are only about 8 maybe 10 feet wide) with one charge and the back would take less than a full charge to do.

#14 ONLINE   gmor

gmor

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 01:28 AM

If I were to go with the dual 18 volt system, batteries and replacements would not be an issue. Ryobi has not changed thier battery interface in almost 20 years. The same batteries that come with the tools, including this mower work on my 16 year old tool kit I got in 01. While I dont consider Ryobi professional grade cordless tools the battery interface is the one thing they have out performed all of the other manufactures. I already have 6 4ah batteries that would be able to work in the mower and a charger that charges 6 at a time. This yard is one of the little city lots. Its the biggest dislike I have about this house. The driveway is just barley long enough for me to hook my camper (27 feet including tongue) up to my truck. If they are not hooked up I have to back up within a foot of the hitch to fit the trunk in the driveway. I would at least be able to do the front and side yards (which are only about 8 maybe 10 feet wide) with one charge and the back would take less than a full charge to do.

I have actually been looking into electric bicycles for my GF so she can go with me on rides. The replacement batteries (400wh.11ah) lithium ion for the Bosch equipped bikes cost $847!   :blink:  The range is about 25-75 miles depending on levels of assist.

Edited by gmor, Dec. 16 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 07:14 AM

I just want to know when is someone going to come up with a lawnmower that you can just sit on your porch in the shade and use a joy stick and just steer the mower around the yard without even getting on the thing.  I know it can be done easy enough, wonder why anything like this hasn't been invented.

Signature:

NRA LIFE MEMBER

gallery_135_65_1073.jpg

#16 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 07:48 AM

I just want to know when is someone going to come up with a lawnmower that you can just sit on your porch in the shade and use a joy stick and just steer the mower around the yard without even getting on the thing.  I know it can be done easy enough, wonder why anything like this hasn't been invented.

Or what about a mower that works like a Roomba, with invisible fencing to keep it within the limits of the yard?

• alpo likes this

#17 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 07:49 AM

Or what about a mower that works like a Roomba, with invisible fencing to keep it within the limits of the yard?

That will work too  :)

#18 OFFLINE   calebj06

calebj06

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 08:06 AM

I think it is husqvarna that already has one.

#19 OFFLINE   alpo

alpo

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 09:27 AM

Really.  Will have to check it out.

#20 OFFLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Dec. 10 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think it is husqvarna that already has one.

That might be something to look into.

Reply to this topic

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center