Photo

Safariland Comp 1 speed loaders.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 15 2018 - 05:37 PM

Got to the range today and put a few rounds down the pipe. Used the loaders off the bench and they work pretty darn good. My only issue is the rounds would not drop into the dirty cylinder and needed a push with your fingers. I am going to have to figure out what to do there as there is no speed to speed loaders if you have to help the rounds along. 

The SP101 functioned 100% with the 9# hammer spring and the 8# trigger return spring. Double action was smooth as butter. I developed a training scar with this revolver when I first got it years ago and was using full house 158g 357 magnum loads. I can get one hell of a push anticipating recoil. I tried a new two handed grip on the gun that returns the gun to the target after each shot much better than my old grip would. I got brave and shot a bunch of full house 357's and was amazed at how well this new grip hold works for me. I was shooting my 6" bouncy ball at 50 feet and doing pretty good on it and had it back to 60 feet by the end of the shooting the mud kept it from rolling too far. 

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Accuracy over OCD !

#22 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 02:37 PM

My new Safariland speed loader belt clips arrived and like the reviews said the little rubber pads were all missing except for one. They won't hold for squat without those little rubber pads. I reached out into my shop and found some older red  pink inner tube repair material and a little blue RTV (because I could not find my black RTV) silicone and made four new pads to grip the speed loaders. The blue RTV made a mess but I don't care right now. Once these things prove themselves I will clean off the excess blue and make them look better. No sense wasting time now if they don't work out. They now hold the 38's and 357's very well and I will be putting them on my belt today to give them a test run. I do like the way when you pull the loader out you are holding the loader the way you need to in order to load the gun. I am hoping the slimmer profile makes them better for ccw....here are the pics and I will update with how they do later...

ybCJPoH.jpg5xrjOcx.jpg

#23 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 04:57 PM

That sounds like a really ingenious solution, the rubber pats with RTV. Looks like something I would do. But just one question, and maybe it's me, or maybe it's your lighting, or your camera, but is that "red" a little closer to "pink"?  :tongue:

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#24 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 05:04 PM

I hope they work out for you. I've used mine a tad in athletic movement stuff in my matches and don't recall dropping any loaders. That spring steel is pretty strong across the surfaces of the loader body. This is part of what I use in matches. The top ones are used on my 29 Smith and some of my K frame guns that I use to shoot in the Laramie Shoot For Lot when I first started movement style pistol matches. The bottom batch is my L-Frame stuff for USPSA  a hodgepodge of holders and loaders. I have one L-Frame cut for full moon clips that's kind of cool. The holders are over-engineered for them. My bucket full of K-Frame goodies I use for PPC is tucked away right now. It too is a mix of Dades, Comp 3's and the HKS's. I use the Comp 3's on the seven and fifteen yard line when time is of essence.

One thing I will recommend is that should you start getting loaders for various revolvers that you paint the tops and color code them. It is embarrassing to try to stick a K-Frame loader in an L-frame. No biggy playing games on Sunday but when it comes to a two way range it could be more than just an inconvenience.

5jJDjoc.jpg

Keep us posted ad I think the rubber will be fine. I have about two dozen of them and the never failed to have them on delivery.

Greg

• towtruck likes this

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#25 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 07:37 PM

That sounds like a really ingenious solution, the rubber pats with RTV. Looks like something I would do. But just one question, and maybe it's me, or maybe it's your lighting, or your camera, but is that "red" a little closer to "pink"?  :tongue:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that  :laugh:

I put them on and went four wheeling in the Jeep and moved some firewood then pulled the spark plugs out of the Jeep and these loaders stayed put and you forget they are there. These are going to work perfectly. When you reach to pull them out of the clip you naturally grab them right where you need to to drop them in the gun.

I clip them on ahead of the last belt loop and they leave room for me to get my hand in the front pocket and when you undo the belt to use the rest room the clips hold the belt right there so nothing moves. They hold on to the belt tight but are easy to remove. Here is the layout on my belt......

FZXXa4V.jpg?1

#26 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 07:52 PM

Kind'a light in the britches there. The Thin Man.  :hysterical3:

Greg

#27 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 08:58 PM

Kind'a light in the britches there. The Thin Man.  :hysterical3:

Greg

Nobody wants to see my fat hairy gut......

Now I need to buy some nickel plated 125g 357's as the brass cased one's tend to tarnish.

#28 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 09:57 PM

Nobody wants to see my fat hairy gut......

Now I need to buy some nickel plated 125g 357's as the brass cased one's tend to tarnish.

Well I passed on the pink comment but a hairy gut? Now that's something a fellow had to work at. My problem is I'm so dang skinny I don't have the circumference to carry a large amount of gear easily.

Those plated 357's are a good idea. My house gun is stoked with the hottest 125 grain Super X I could stuff in it. 20 years in those cylinders and still nice and shiny.

Greg

#29 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 31 2018 - 09:42 PM

So, I have been packing these new speed loaders for a few days now and in real life situations. These things are the cats ass. I can pop them on my belt quickly and pop them off just as fast. I can even pop one off and move it without anyone knowing what I have in my hand. They hold onto the belt and don't slide around either. I like the fact that they are individual holders, they take up very little room on the belt and store easily in the pistol bag when I lock the gun up. I can also toss them in a coat pocket and they disappear. 

I have a nice NRA black jacket with ccw holster that velcros into a hidden pocket that I tried to use this morning to get from the motel to the gas station and back with. The 357 magnum sp101 is like a little brick and it just drags that coat down and flips the gun over so that option did not work. Seeing how I was wearing business attire and could not carry owb like normal I wrapped my gun belt over my dress belt and kept the pistol at 3 o:clock under the coat and just tossed the loaders in the pocket. That worked well for the short trip. 

I do believe I will sell the two HKS loaders and pouch that I bought for them. I could use them for range work but would rather have all one kind. The double pouch holder is nice but just a tad too thick for me to ccw with and it has to slide on the belt which is a pain for my needs. 

For anyone thinking about getting these for your wheel gun don't hesitate...they work very well. Much faster, shorter, and more secure than the twist tops. 

#30 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 31 2018 - 09:46 PM

Sometimes old school is best school.

Greg

#31 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 31 2018 - 09:57 PM

Sometimes old school is best school.

Greg

I don't know why but I feel so much more at home with a wheel gun than a semi auto. I know it's backwards thinking but it just works for me. I can shoot my semi's well but they just don't give me that warm a fuzzy feeling that a wheel gun does......I have even been contemplating selling that new Sig 1911 and getting another wheel gun for ccw......I have to stew on that one because I really like my Sig.   

#32 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 31 2018 - 10:02 PM

This....https://ruger.com/pr...heets/5033.html  or this one....https://ruger.com/pr...heets/5032.html. I really like them both but I need to handle one and see how thick they are at the cylinder and if they are doable for my carry needs. 

#33 OFFLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

Posted Jan. 31 2018 - 10:12 PM

They will be about like a Model 29. It takes Xxx amount of steel around the hulls.

I am gonna do LEOSA next month in March. I'll qualify with both. I feel equally at home. Never felt under-served by either. I know rookie cops that see me run a wheel gun in a match just pee down their legs and I've slowed down. .lol

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center