I'd Really like to have one by sometime in the summer. I see two possible holiday sales with July 4 and Memorial Day. But they're not a requirement; I just like saving money.
Have been interested in one for a while but now hlhneast's recent build has the build juices flowing. Pretty partial to a carbine length w/ collapsible stock.
Now that I'm a bit more comfortable around ARs, I'm considering once again (will this never end?) marching a bit farther and assembling another; specifically a side charger. So from what I gather, I can incur a decent savings purchasing and assembling individual parts and components. At this time though it appears to be within my skill level, I don't feel like dicking with the buffer tube though it's not out of the picture.
Currently my "accomplishments" / consist of:
1. Installing and aftermarket free float handguard w/ its proprietary barrel nut.
2. Removing / reinstalling barrel and muzzle device
3. Removing factory gas block and installing low profile gas block
4. Removing / installing factory / aftermarket hammer / trigger assemblies
5. Removing / installing takedown / pivot pins
6. Disassemble / assemble BCG less the gas key
Choices as I see them?
Complete side charger upper w/ barrel
Complete side charger upper w/o barrel
Individual side charger upper and individual side charger
Individual fcg components
Complete lower: Are lowers available only as complete or stripped? No in-between?
Any way to guesstimate savings based on a fully assembled, turnkey 1,000.00 rifle? I have the tools.
This guy appears to have done well price wise. https://www.thehighr...e-build.825317/
I think I wrote too much.