• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 02:11 PM

C'mon Flesh Wound, you're holding me up man!  :snicker:

#62 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 02:16 PM

My BCA Leftie does a good job of keeping the brass away from you when it ejects. Of course some ammo may come back at you. That would depend on the loading. I suspect hotter ammo may come back at you. I have had a few (very few, like maybe 5) cases hit me.

Yes, the BCA uppers work just like standard AR uppers when it comes to everything like handguards etc.

As to the barrel. Yes, it's a royal PITA as you must have the brake pinned and welded to make the morons at the ATF happy. If it were me I'd just get a 16" tube and call it good. At least until the ATF pulls it's cranium out of their rectum. 

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I don't need anger management. I need people to stop pissing me off.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#63 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 03:36 PM

My BCA Leftie does a good job of keeping the brass away from you when it ejects. Of course some ammo may come back at you. That would depend on the loading. I suspect hotter ammo may come back at you. I have had a few (very few, like maybe 5) cases hit me.

Yes, the BCA uppers work just like standard AR uppers when it comes to everything like handguards etc.

As to the barrel. Yes, it's a royal PITA as you must have the brake pinned and welded to make the morons at the ATF happy. If it were me I'd just get a 16" tube and call it good. At least until the ATF pulls it's cranium out of their rectum. 

I probably will but I thought this 14.5" w/ it's smaller diameter muzzle device was pretty cool. Not yet knowing a decent price for a decent barrel, I think this might be a bit pricey though perhaps not the sale price. https://www.joebobou...6-m-t-l-mfh.htm

Looks like it's out of stock there and other places or goofy high. Back to the 16" mid-length vs carbine length?

Edited by bamashooter, Jan. 17 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#64 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 03:43 PM

Never heard of Voodoo so no way to say if good or bad.

Considering new Anderson 16" carbine 5.56 barrels start at $60 I guess it's going to be hard to guess on what to get.

• bamashooter likes this

#65 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 04:29 PM

Is there that a big of a difference on a carbine between a mid-length vs carbine length gas system on a 16" barrel?

Edited by bamashooter, Jan. 17 2018 - 04:29 PM.

#66 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:02 PM

These are the anti-rotation tabs on the ALG Defense free float handguard I have for my next build.

ALG handguards have two anti-rotation tabs. The Troy Alpha rail I used had only one. 

Here is my 6x45mm AR with an ALG Defense handguard installed. You can see where the tab existed, but has been removed and refinished.

Not everyone is up to the task. I work with my hands and have done hobbies that give me the confidence to do this.

There are free floating handguards that don't have anti-rotation tabs.

So when deciding on the components for a side charging build. The anti-rotation tabs are something to think about.

Thanks,

Glenn

The barrel nut on the EMRs looks nice and stout. What;s your opinion on their unique mounting system w/ the "no-torque" wrench?

Edited by bamashooter, Jan. 17 2018 - 08:03 PM.

#67 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 01:44 AM

The barrel nut on the EMRs looks nice and stout. What;s your opinion on their unique mounting system w/ the "no-torque" wrench?

The barrel nuts on the EMR series are nice and stout.

I quite like the the way ALG designed their proprietary mounting system with the "no-torque" wrench.

The shim system can be hit or miss. Sometimes you have to try different shim combos from what the directions say to get everything to line up right. 

I do use AeroShell 33 grease on the threads of the upper and barrel extension when installing the barrel nut. A 12"-14" piece of 1" galv. pipe will be necessary as an extension to the wrench provided. Most hardware stores carry pieces of 1" galv. pipe. 

ALG has a good video to show you how to install the EMR rails.

The EMR rails are not to difficult to install. Just take your time and follow the directions.

Thanks,

Glenn

Edited by geepee3, Jan. 18 2018 - 01:45 AM.

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Turning 5.56X45 mm brass into 6X45 mm brass one case at a time since April 2014.

6.8 SPC II, That's .270 Lite for those of us in the real world. 

M1A Socom 16; Its bark blows minds, its bite is even worst! 

30 Herrett AR; I know, 7.62X39 is cheaper... But I already had the 6.8 SPC brass and bolts.

8DjqgGE.png

#68 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 06:20 AM

Watched what I considered a very good installation video. I find the design pretty ingenious. The only issue I'd have is upon discovery of the wrench, my wife would take it, drill a hole through it, and use it as a key fob.  :laugh:

#69 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 07:37 AM

Watched what I considered a very good installation video. I find the design pretty ingenious. The only issue I'd have is upon discovery of the wrench, my wife would take it, drill a hole through it, and use it as a key fob.  :laugh:

Thanks for posting that. 

As someone who has not built a rifle yet, it was good to see. 

The fact that ALG has come up with a way to install the rail without the need for a torque wrench is cool. 

The system  seems to save a lot of time and frustration with color-coded shims and a way to tell how many shims you are going

to need without using trial and error. 

To be frank, I guess I don't quite know just how nifty the ALG system is since I don't have experience installing rails and 

if the ALG really is a better mousetrap.  He sure made it look easy with that wrench and those shims. 

Question: I understand that large barrel nuts like the one used offer increased support for the barrel fit. 

Does a barrel nut like that act as a heart sink, or does the nut have to be specially designed as a heat sink, with large fins, etc ?

Thanks,

John

BTW: Does that rail still retail for 100 bucks ?

guess you have to buy the rail sections too....

Edited by Retcop, Jan. 18 2018 - 07:39 AM.

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:
<p>A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !</p>
<p> </p>
<p>NRA Life Member<br><br>
The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.<br><br>
Repeal the 17th Amendment.<br><br>
Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#70 ONLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 08:11 AM

Is there that a big of a difference on a carbine between a mid-length vs carbine length gas system on a 16" barrel?

I had Daniel Defense build my M4 with a 14.5" barrel using a mid length gas system. They were the only ones I could find that offered it on a shorter barrel. At that time everyone advised me to go with a mid length, a carbine length was harder on the rifle and harder hitting in the recoil. Today it dosen't seem to have the same concerns as it used to. Many on here use the carbine length without issues. Personally I feel the mid length is definitely the way to go. After shooting both you can feed the difference between the two.
Someone will come along and give you the proper advice on which one to use. I can only tell you my experience, which means squat.
  • bamashooter likes this

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#71 ONLINE   geepee3

geepee3

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for posting that. 

As someone who has not built a rifle yet, it was good to see. 

The fact that ALG has come up with a way to install the rail without the need for a torque wrench is cool. 

The system  seems to save a lot of time and frustration with color-coded shims and a way to tell how many shims you are going

to need without using trial and error. 

To be frank, I guess I don't quite know just how nifty the ALG system is since I don't have experience installing rails and 

if the ALG really is a better mousetrap.  He sure made it look easy with that wrench and those shims. 

Question: I understand that large barrel nuts like the one used offer increased support for the barrel fit. 

Does a barrel nut like that act as a heart sink, or does the nut have to be specially designed as a heat sink, with large fins, etc ?

Thanks,

John

BTW: Does that rail still retail for 100 bucks ?

guess you have to buy the rail sections too....

Here is the link to the official ALG Defense install video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nmnN_1UBnAA

Not sure about your question of the barrel nut acting like a heat sink. You would have to ask ALG.

As to prices. They have gone up with the newer M-lok designed rails. Also prices vary by length. The EMR V0-E rails still sell for under $100.

I purchased my EMR V2 rails, I own 5, when they have gone on sale at different times. 

As I said, I own 5 of the ALG Defense rails, So they are doing something right to get and keep my business.

Thanks,

Glenn

• Retcop and bamashooter like this

#72 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:03 PM

I guess with high quality equipment perhaps the argument could be made for the heat-sink phenomenon if enough rounds were discharged in an expedient manner. But I'd say regardless, it would be of little consequence. Good thinking though.

I appreciate "real world" experiences regarding cause and effect things like gas systems comparisons.

#73 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 06:03 PM

I guess with high quality equipment perhaps the argument could be made for the heat-sink phenomenon if enough rounds were discharged in an expedient manner. But I'd say regardless, it would be of little consequence. Good thinking though.

I appreciate "real world" experiences regarding cause and effect things like gas systems comparisons.

I believe POF has a patented barrel nut they claim asks as a heat sink for the barrel, but it has fins. 

Apparently they tested it and it is supposed to delay the overheating of barrels. As we all know,

extreme heat is the enemy of gun metal. It is the area just forward of the chamber that heats up first.

Seems like a good idea. 

I was just wondering if a nut that large as the ALG could also act as a heat sink,

even if it did not have fins. If you are in a situation where you have to make your barrell glow to survive, I guess

every advantage, even if small, is to be appreciated.

I find some of the design elements of the POF fascinating, but then again, you run into the problem of proprietary parts.

#74 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 06:50 PM

Love technology however the POF is gigantic, greatly finned, and aluminum. Though aluminum the ALG barrel nut wouldn't cut it imo. I reckon one could go with that JP thermal dissipator if they were so inclined. 

One lonely rainy night, far, far away, I did indeed stay in a Holiday Inn Express. Next thing I knew, there was nothing I thought I didn't know.  :laugh:

• geepee3 likes this

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center