10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

• Group:Members*

Posted Jan. 12 2018 - 08:10 AM

What is the best sd sight option

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
The reason I ask is to see how many people are (imho) overthinking things

Edited by ozarkpugs, Jan. 12 2018 - 08:13 AM.

#2 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 12 2018 - 03:44 PM

What are your SD conditions? Under a 100 yards, day/night, illuminated reticle / dot, all-weather, military-grade, weight, warranty, co-witness w/ hard sights. dot, circle, crosshairs, stuff like that.  :)

#3 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

Posted Jan. 12 2018 - 04:29 PM

What are your SD conditions? Under a 100 yards, day/night, illuminated reticle / dot, all-weather, military-grade, weight, warranty, co-witness w/ hard sights. dot, circle, crosshairs, stuff like that.  :)

Most sd is 7 yards but in the country it can easily extend to 20 yards and you never know what time it will be .

#4 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 12 2018 - 06:04 PM

What is the best sd sight option

The reason I ask is to see how many people are (imho) overthinking things

Elaborate please. Thought you were seeking advice however it appears you're merely seeking comments to support your opinion which implies folks over think their perceived needs when it comes to sights / optics for self defense firearms. Go.

#5 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

Posted Jan. 12 2018 - 06:38 PM

Elaborate please. Thought you were seeking advice however it appears you're merely seeking comments to support your opinion which implies folks over think their perceived needs when it comes to sights / optics for self defense firearms. Go.

I apologise ,I thought it was clear in the title I am a firm believer in KISS as far as sights for self defense . Not shtf but home invasion or in free states I protection of property .
The reason I inquired was I was at a shooting range out of town recently and I was the only one who shared my view so I thought I would see if I was really that much in the minority .

Edited by ozarkpugs, Jan. 12 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Underdog

Underdog

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 03:14 AM

I like to just keep a good set of iron sights on my rifle to keep it light and simple. I tried red dots and scopes, I keep coming back to irons as that's what I learned with as a kid. I learn to use them well and often, so that would be my recommendation and choice.

• ozarkpugs likes this

#7 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 08:33 AM

I like hard sights very, very well but they're out of the race when it comes to quick target acquisition compared to a red dot. 

• ozarkpugs likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Underdog

Underdog

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 09:11 AM

I agree with the quick target acquisition with a red dot, and maybe it's me not using it correctly. I have a Holosun HS503C sight and the thing works great, I just can't get comfortable with it. I tried using one eye, then both eyes. Placing more forward on the rifle and then more towards me, I just cant find the correct and comfortable way to use it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Sorry Ozarkpugs for redirecting your thread for a post or two.

#9 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 09:23 AM

I favor Trijicon night sites on a defensive sidearm.

I use the 3 dot set up. 

The cost of a read dot and the fact that if you are training properly, you are putting

I lot of G forces on those red dot sights for me to trust them completely,

on the moving slide. That's a lot of slaming around.

I have had training for night shooting, and was able to shoot  plain sights next to night sights.

My groups were much better with the night sights. They would probably be even better with 

a red dot, but that I still have my objections of durability and cost. 

I am wary of the light gathering capsules they use on the front sight of some sidearms also.

Seems like they could beak.

Here is where you call me a stuck in the past geezer, who has no idea what he is talking about.

However, you asked, and I prefer metal night sights, and I prefer the Trijicon brand.

EDIT:      Please excuse my lack of caffeine fueled confusion.

Must because I just came off a sidearm thread, but I thought you were asking about sidearms.

I own an Eotech 553 and an Aimpoint Pro and like them both.

If you buy a quality sight you are GTG, IMHO. 

I am not big on some of the civilian/Chinese brands that have not proven themselves under heavy use. 

BTW: If I were going to run iron sights, I would get a Trijicon front sight post.

I apologize for the confusion.

Edited by Retcop, Jan. 13 2018 - 09:42 AM.

Signature:
<p>A Vote for Trump is a vote for a liberal !</p>
<p> </p>
<p>NRA Life Member<br><br>
The People's power flows through the States, not Washington.<br><br>
Repeal the 17th Amendment.<br><br>
Read Levin's The Liberty Amendments, Liberty and Tyranny, Ameratopia, and Men in Black.

#10 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 09:33 AM

I agree with the quick target acquisition with a red dot, and maybe it's me not using it correctly. I have a Holosun HS503C sight and the thing works great, I just can't get comfortable with it. I tried using one eye, then both eyes. Placing more forward on the rifle and then more towards me, I just cant find the correct and comfortable way to use it. Any suggestions are appreciated. Sorry Ozarkpugs for redirecting your thread for a post or two.

Lol. I hear your pain. I have the 503C on my PSA and like it ok. Though at the moment prefer a tube type red dot, be it short like the Holosun or longer like some others, I lean toward a small reflex style like my Venom. It (for me) is the quickest however it's also the most distracting due to a whole bunch of field of view. Placement is a personal preference. I prefer a bit further back (that distraction thing again) if it doesn't interfere with anything (BUIS). "They" say the red dot by design is for both eyes open. I'm good in that respect though I don't see how that can be etched in stone. 

For me, the primary reason for a more rearward red dot is I'm quicker with it as compared to a more forward position. Perhaps a solid 1/2 second or so. And more focused.  Though it comes down to training and quality / length of training, I just find it more natural when my eyeball is closer to a red dot than farther away. The elapsed time might be nil but when forward mounted I feel as though I'm searching for the glass / dot. 

#11 OFFLINE   ozarkpugs

ozarkpugs

Posted Jan. 13 2018 - 10:18 AM

If you are using it for close quarters protection use both eyes because in a real life situation _you will _ are you using your dominant eye behind the sight ? Another thing to try is close your eyes and shoulder the weapon and then open just your shooting eye and see where you are looking if at the top of sight it needs to be higher if at the bottom it needs to be lowered . other than that I'll leave it to someone else to help .You didn't get off subject ,this was the reason for the post .

• bamashooter likes this

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center