Upgrades to the old scooter

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

I come from the land of the ice and snow,

• Group:Tribesmen

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 06:20 PM

Last fall, after getting back from Sturgis, I decided to treat my bike to a few upgrades. Got a new set of tires, replaced the motor mount and engine alinement turn buckle, installed a new Pingel fuel value, NOS lighted fender tips, NOS turn down mufflers and a tinted 10” windshield. 

515A7CE6-A273-49C0-AD39-9C63A859C8C6.thu

Right after deer season I brought it to a guy I know that’s set up for engine rebuilding and had the top-end rebuilt, pistons, valves, guides, lifters, the works.

B602917C-318E-4ABA-B7D4-77FBA3B6C624.thu

82BC757B-BC00-4D99-92F4-A36140AA8296.thu

Got a call last week that it was ready and since we were between cold snaps I figured I better get it home. It was a snowy 27 above when I drove her home and was a good thing I did as the next day the temp dropped  to -27 below..

1ABEB187-192A-4B7A-AA38-434F0580E83D.thu

02673731-6BF4-466F-A54F-93834B77699F.thu

Come Spring I plan on adding a lower Mustang seat and a lowering kit that will drop the back about 3” and the front about 2”. 

I tell ya, Spring can’t get here soon enough!!

• j-dub, Bentwrench and bamashooter like this

Signature:

Psalm 144:1
"Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle."

#2 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 06:41 PM

She looks sweet!
I'm really liking those turn downs on that style with bags. Have you been able to tell if the top end work breathed new life into her?

O, that windshield looks very cool also. I'm a fan of Mustang seats, I replaced my Springer seat with one, night and day difference.

Edited by devil duck, Jan. 17 2018 - 06:43 PM.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#3 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 06:52 PM

She looks sweet!
I'm really liking those turn downs on that style with bags. Have you been able to tell if the top end work breathed new life into her?

Oh yeah, only drove it about a mile or so through town but could really tell the difference. I shut it off and started it a few time and all I had to do is just tap the starter and she fired right up.. I'm liking the turndowns too I was a bit hesitant because I was going to get fish tails but found these NOS turndowns and got a great deal on them. The only downside to them, well for me anyway, they are quieter then I would like, quieter then the stock ones I took off. 

• bamashooter likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Snake46

Snake46

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 07:47 PM

Looking good..I'm not man enough for 27 degrees anymore..if you have any trouble with your tailbone I highly recommend a Saddlemen seat..it has made a more than significant difference in the duration I can keep riding..

#5 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:02 PM

Looking good..I'm not man enough for 27 degrees anymore..if you have any trouble with your tailbone I highly recommend a Saddlemen seat..it has made a more than significant difference in the duration I can keep riding..

The bike is 37 years old so I'm kind of limited in what's available for this year and model. The only aftermarket seat I can find is the Mustang seat unless I had one custom made. 

The seat that's on there now is a Harley stock "comfort flex" seat The kind with a scissors suspension.. Just sits to high even in the down position. I need a lower frame mounted seat..  

#6 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:29 PM

I like the looks of that exhaust. I think it fits the bike. 

• devil duck likes this

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#7 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:33 PM

The bike is 37 years old so I'm kind of limited in what's available for this year and model. The only aftermarket seat I can find is the Mustang seat unless I had one custom made. 
 The seat that's on there now is a Harley stock "comfort flex" seat The kind with a scissors suspension.. Just sits to high even in the down position. I need a lower frame mounted seat..

The ONLY issue I had with the seat I got was it being much thicker. The thickness (primary for the wife) made a huge difference in comfort but at a stop I was on my toes.

#8 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:35 PM

Can you remove the baffles from the mufflers?

#9 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:45 PM

Can you remove the baffles from the mufflers?

No but they do have a nice sound to them. I think they don’t sound as loud to me because of the turn downs and most of the sound is directed downward .

#10 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:52 PM

I like the looks of that exhaust. I think it fits the bike. 

Thanks I like them too, not what I was originally looking for but your right they fit the bike.

#11 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 09:14 PM

Nice.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#12 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 09:55 AM

The ONLY issue I had with the seat I got was it being much thicker. The thickness (primary for the wife) made a huge difference in comfort but at a stop I was on my toes.

What type of seat are you using? 

#13 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 10:14 AM

What type of seat are you using?

I do not see the exact model but this one is extremely close. The only real difference is mine dosen't have that increase in height where the rear and front connect. The transition is much smoother.
https://www.jpcycles...al-touring-seat
See the other post, almost identical.

Edited by devil duck, Jan. 18 2018 - 10:26 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 10:20 AM

The main reason for the upgrade was the wife. The first time we rode to mom's (150 miles) she was almost in tears from the pain using the stock seat. The Mustang is wider and much more supportive for the passenger.
I also add a better set of foot boards and a short sissy bar/pad.
https://www.harley-d...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by devil duck, Jan. 18 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• scotto likes this

#15 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 10:24 AM

Hear you go, this is more like it.
https://www.mustangs...ProductID=45484
https://www.mustangs.../category/Seats

Edited by devil duck, Jan. 18 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 10:49 AM

Speaking of seats, I have a friend who built one of the coolest bikes I have seen. It is a old ridged frame from 58 (I think) with a nice rake on the forks. Originally he built a Pan Head motor but the trips that him and his O lady went on was a little much for it. They always went to Sturgis, Daytona, Rolling Thunder, etc. He built a pretty hot shovel head motor and upgraded the trans but kept everything else the same. His seat was pretty much a thin pan style and hers was a small P-Pad, fender mount only about 5" wide.
Talk about a "Hard Tail" she had one. It has been a couple of years but as far as I know they still ride that old ridged every where they go. That bike has never seen a trailer.

Edited by devil duck, Jan. 18 2018 - 10:51 AM.

• scotto likes this

#17 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 11:07 AM

Being an older bike, 1981 FLT, I'm limited on whats avalable. 

This is the one I'm looking at..

FLT/FLHT 1980-1988 Vintage Sport Touring One-Piece

It looks to be a lot lower sitting postion then the stock  "confort flex" suspension seat I have now..

• devil duck likes this

#18 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 11:39 AM

That's nice Scotto, and your a brave man to ride on the snow and ice........Back in '82 I thought I was going to ride my bike in the winter. The main road was clear but our 1/2 mile of driveway was hard packed snow. Did fine until a small side hill and out she went and on it's side....I rode it on it's side until it stopped. Picked it back up and walked it home.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#19 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 12:07 PM

That's nice Scotto, and your a brave man to ride on the snow and ice........Back in '82 I thought I was going to ride my bike in the winter. The main road was clear but our 1/2 mile of driveway was hard packed snow. Did fine until a small side hill and out she went and on it's side....I rode it on it's side until it stopped. Picked it back up and walked it home.

Back in 93 the X wife and I split up and I had to sell something, the Harley or the Truck. The Truck lost and my ONLY transportation was the Springer. I moved into a apt on the ground floor, needed the 1st floor so I could keep the bike in the apt. That was in September. The plant was only a few miles away but when it rained, I rode. During the winter I still rode regardless of the temp or condition of the road. Thankfully in TN we don't get much snow but we had a couple of snows that winter. Lol, I rode to work and back with using my boots basically like stabilizers at idle speed. Thank goodness I never laid it down but it sucked, alot. They would laugh at me at work watching me putting on my rain suit for the ride home when it was storming.
I do not recommend having a motorcycle as your only form of transportation.

#20 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 01:58 PM

Cool,

Gotta a couple comments.  First you are really going to like that windshield.  That slight forward turn on the lip makes a hell of a difference. 

First thing I bought for my Harley was my Mustang low touring seat.  No kidding, I didn't put 500 miles on her and I put the new seat on.  The Harley factory seats are actually pretty good but they're made to be real soft but what they do is compress on a long haul.  The Mustang uses a prprietary foam that does bottom out and then their seat pan is designed to give so it immolates the old spring seats of yesteryear.  They greatly increase your butt ability.  I bought my first, actually as happenstance the year they went into business in 1980 and have had one on ever street bike I"ve owned since.  Since the longer in the seat, the longer the ride, its the best upgrade you can do to a bike. 

I went all out this time.  I have the model with the back rest, which btw matches perfectly with my factory sissy bar pad.  I really really like the back rest.  It just pops right in the seat and pops out, lowers for getting on and off, and is adjustable to fit.  Throw my feet on the highway pegs, crank the stereo up, put the cruise control on, and lean back, its as comfortable as a car. :laugh:   Disclaimer, mine is a Rushmore six speed so under 3k RPM's at interstate speeds.  

Now get on that beotch and ride her down here this spring.  You can park her by my girls, you can stay in my guest room,  and I'll show you the mountains.

Tj

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center