Upgrades to the old scooter

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

I come from the land of the ice and snow,

• Group:Tribesmen

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:36 PM

The windshield is made to order from clearview shields, I got the 10" smoked, I like the looks as the lines follow the contour of the fairing and I had them add the upward recurve, the only thing the way the bike sits now I get zero protection. If I sat just 3 or so inches lower it wouldn't be a problem that's where the seat comes in the stock comfort flex Harley seat has a scissors like spring suspension with 3 heights but even in the lowest position it still sits to high. I think by switching to that frame mounted mustang seat and adding a lowering kit will get me down there.    

Signature:

Psalm 144:1
"Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle."

#22 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:52 PM

The windshield is made to order from clearview shields, I got the 10" smoked, I like the looks as the lines follow the contour of the fairing and I had them add the upward recurve, the only thing the way the bike sits now I get zero protection. If I sat just 3 or so inches lower it wouldn't be a problem that's where the seat comes in the stock comfort flex Harley seat has a scissors like spring suspension with 3 heights but even in the lowest position it still sits to high. I think by switching to that frame mounted mustang seat and adding a lowering kit will get me down there.

As mentioned earlier, I love that Windshield. It really cleans up the lines of the fairing. Hopefully the new seat and lowering kit will allow some wind protection.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#23 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:54 PM

Don't really know.  We've got two different frames.  The Rushmore is actually a higher frame.  My Mustang lowered me about 1.5" from stock.  I thinks it better on the older bikes.  Anyway, they listed it on their site or I read it somewhere.    That said, with a 10" shield on a Street Glide fairing, I'm just at the looking over the windshield point so at night I sit up straight and in weather I either lean back on the back rest or slouch an inch or two to see through and be totally protected.

Getting that seat height, distance, handlebar, windshield height thing is a big deal for all of us who ride because no two of us are the same and tooling around and touring two different things.  I pretty much converted a Street Glide which is tooling around bike to a true tour bike. 

What I can remind you is don't forget that seating position, the reach.  An inch forward or backwards is a big deal in the whole mix and those seats can do either or both, forward, backward, lower, etc. 

When I bought that little Scout, that was a big deal, they had seats, handlebars, and windshields for varying all that. 

Makes you kind of envy the electric windshields that push of button you can change it on the go.

Tj

#24 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 10:17 PM

One of the better seat upgrades I did was sending in my stock seat and getting it reworked. They can accommodate what you need and still keep a nice look. Don't know if that's an option in your case.

All that nice work done and you ride it in the snow first thing?! Ha! Brave man.

Last time I rode with snow and ice on the ground, let's just say I got carried away and had to be pulled across a front lawn by a 4 wheeler to safety!

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

#25 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 19 2018 - 11:50 AM

*snip

Getting that seat height, distance, handlebar, windshield height thing is a big deal for all of us who ride because no two of us are the same and tooling around and touring two different things.  I pretty much converted a Street Glide which is tooling around bike to a true tour bike. 

*snip

Tj

What convinced you to get a Street Glide over say a Ultra Glide?

My last bike was a 1980 Electra Glide with the bat wing and I always figured if I get another "newer" bike it would be either another Electra Glide or a full dress ultra but after riding this Tour Glide these last few years if I ever get a new bike it will be the Road Glide.. 

#26 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 19 2018 - 12:56 PM

What convinced you to get a Street Glide over say a Ultra Glide?

My last bike was a 1980 Electra Glide with the bat wing and I always figured if I get another "newer" bike it would be either another Electra Glide or a full dress ultra but after riding this Tour Glide these last few years if I ever get a new bike it will be the Road Glide.. 

Call me crazy, I don't like the trunk.  Otherwise, I like all the tour options so I bought a Street Glide and then before I even took it off the showroom floor started converting it to a European Electroglide by adding passenger back rest and luggage rack.  I then changed the seat and added saddlebag guards.  That was just the start.  I upgraded the headlight to LED, taller windshield, changed to ergo handgrips, and instead of separate running lights have the turnsignal LED upgrade that doubles a running lights.  I did did it my way so to say.

What its really about is a system.  What you are use to and I've been riding for a very very long time and like a more modular approach.  For example, when I tour ride, I keep bike things in the bike and hotel/camp things in a case on the luggage rack so when I stop, usually bone tired, I just lock the bike, grab the bag off the back, and carry it where ever.  Unlike my other bikes in the past, this one flip a few levers, the backrest and luggage rack comes off, change the seat back, and I'm almost back to being a Street Glide. 

Not that I would do anything more than an over night on the Scout, but its set up the same system, windshield, saddlebags, and luggage rack.  My last five bikes have been setup like that since "Oh my" 1981 or so.  Back then it was strap on tents and sleeping bags more.  Now its motels more.  All of them at one time or another I took business trips on in summer so needed a place I could strap down a case which has been backpack for years now.  It's even influenced how I fly now for business.  I use a backpack that has computer compartment, throw a couple nights clothes in there, carry on for a plan, strap down for a bike.

Tj

#27 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 26 2018 - 06:50 PM

43 degrees above zero today so I put on the new Mustang seat, gassed her up, and went for a ride..

I'm loving the new seat, I sit about 2" lower and a little further back then with the stock seat.

Just for comparison, here's the "bowling ball" last summer

FLT581FLT.jpg.bbd0b2840e752056a8da35b45b

And today.. New mufflers, seat and windshield gave it a whole new look.. 

5a6bbe374db62_newseat1.jpg.e2b7913e8246b

5a6bbe3820ccd_newseat2.jpg.7d531bf8e2e1d

#28 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 27 2018 - 06:59 AM

OH yeah, much nicer! :thumb:

Although the lower seat height you will feel the improvement right off the bat, its in the long haul that Mustang will really make a difference.  In my experience, the Harley seats, good seats all in all, are more comfortable day to day but on a long haul, you get a lot more butt ability from the Mustang due to their foam type and designed pan give.  It was in discovering every inch in that lower pack support makes a hell of a difference that got me to go full bore this last bike with the touring seat with removable backrest. 

If you would have told me 40 years ago one day I'd own a bike that my butt ability between stops would equal a car, I would told you that you were nuts. 

I'm curious, how does the new position impact your windsheild height and handlebar reach?  Those two are also things a couple inches one way or another make a world of difference. 

Tj

#29 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Jan. 27 2018 - 09:58 AM

OH yeah, much nicer! :thumb:

*snip*

I'm curious, how does the new position impact your windsheild height and handlebar reach?  Those two are also things a couple inches one way or another make a world of difference. 

Tj

I just took it for a nice easy putt through town to the Gas station and back about 4 miles or so, I want to take it easy on the break-in plus there is a lot of sand and salt on our roads and intersections. The seat dropped me about 2" which helps a lot with the windshield coverage, could go about an inch lower and I thinking about changing out my 13" shocks to a set of progressive 11.5". The seat does set me back further then the stock one so there is some reach but time will tell if its a matter of just getting used to it of if I'll need to change out the bars. I'll know more this spring when I can really get out on the highway..   

#30 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 27 2018 - 09:38 PM

I'd try dropping the bar first.  A slight drop makes up a lot of reach because the bars go up before they slant back.  That's pretty easy to do too. 

• scotto likes this

#31 ONLINE   Snake46

Snake46

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jan. 28 2018 - 09:10 AM

Also, if you have enough slack in your cables, a riser, even 1/2" to 1", will help..
  • scotto likes this

#32 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 29 2018 - 12:43 PM

Also, if you have enough slack in your cables, a riser, even 1/2" to 1", will help..

Yep, same principle. 

#33 ONLINE   Snake46

Snake46

Posted Jan. 29 2018 - 03:47 PM

Yep, same principle.

A combination of the two made mine much more comfortable for long rides..

#34 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Apr. 03 2018 - 02:05 PM

63490D89-24C3-4129-9357-054D24972794.thu

#35 ONLINE   Snake46

Snake46

Posted Apr. 03 2018 - 06:46 PM

It'll get better brother..

#36 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted Apr. 05 2018 - 09:50 PM

Welcome to spring!

#37 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Apr. 19 2018 - 06:46 PM

I like your pipes. Just right. Bet the Mustang seat made a noticeable when stopped. Can't recall the brand because it's been so long. I swapped out a single rider set on my Road King. Not real soft but I have plenty of butt. Plus it forced my wife to get her own skoot.  :D:

IaLdbfu.jpg

aPqc61X.jpg

• scotto likes this

#38 OFFLINE   scotto

scotto

Posted Apr. 20 2018 - 09:57 AM

88BC2378-4F07-4264-B1E7-0E87C1ABB23D.thu

Finally the snow stopped and it warmed up enough (50 degrees) to go for a putt. The seat will take some getting use to as I sit further back then the original and affected the reach to the bars. Now I'm thinking mini apes will get me back in the comfort zone, I don't want to go to tall maybe 10" or so. I'm still considering lowering the back 2" with shorter 10.5" shocks and lowering the front 1" with new fork springs..  Not done with this bike yet but I'm getting there.

• bamashooter likes this

#39 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Apr. 20 2018 - 11:51 AM

I've given up on the idea a Harley will ever be through and just accepted continual change is part of the culture. 

BTW, From those picture angles, It appears you have plenty of room to come down and back on those bars a bit.

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center