Be careful out there!! Video. OH CRAP!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   youngod

youngod

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:32 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...s-helmsman.html

Oh man can you imagine.  Be careful out there.  I will say in cold water fishing you should ALWAYS wear a floatation device.  It appears as though the female was.  It only takes a few minutes in cold water to become hypothermic.  

Signature:
Life Member NRA!

"They drew first blood"
"To Hell with them fellas, buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm."

#2 OFFLINE   devil duck

devil duck

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 08:48 PM

Crap, that could have been bad, really bad.

Signature:
Sometimes lady luck just bends you over and calls you Sally

I came into this world with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much useless but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

There is no right way to do something wrong.

Everyone brings joy to your life. Some when they come into it, others when they leave.

I WILL NOT COMPLY

#3 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 17 2018 - 11:15 PM

Damn. That was here locally.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#4 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:13 AM

I saw the video today and that boat was hauling arse!

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#5 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 07:02 AM

It does not look good for the guy piloting the ramming boat. 

He is either worth some good money, or has good insurance. 

I am kind of surprised the insurance company was not willing to settle,

unless they threw the idiot boat ramming Captain under the bus due to

the cell phone distracted boating and the criminal charges that were filed. 

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#6 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 07:26 AM

A long time boater, this you can take to the bank.  Tj does not anchor down in the middle of the channel. 

Heck one night here, old man Clayton, owner of Clayton Homes, ran his boat into an island; God forbid some boat had been in his path.  

Years ago, I took a boating course.  I was thinking of getting my Captains license so I could do charters taking folks up into the Smoky Mountains by water, a trip that use to be featured in a lot boating magazines.  Since then, I have told people the most important thing I learned in that course was nobody else took the course.  :hysterical3:

My 30 years on the water, damn have I seen some stupid things.  I'll give you another truism, bigger the boat, the inverse its usage.  You use a marina, you notice the smaller boats go out all the time while the bigger ones go out less often and the really big ones seldom.  75 years old, its pretty safe to say that old boy isn't out every weekend especially in cold weather.  I've seen so much stupid crap, I really ought to write a book about it.  I've seen drunks in floating chairs in the middle of the channel, a jet ski fly onto a boats deck, bass boats cut in two, and more boats run into land than I can remember.  I've come very damn close to cutting one in two myself.  Going under a bridge mid-channel, I had a John Boat with two drunks just cut right across my bow at night no less with no running lights. 

Tj

#7 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 11:40 AM

Here's the video and aftermath pics:

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

And.... BFYTW.

#8 OFFLINE   SRT8Driver

SRT8Driver

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 01:52 PM

As with any distracted driver, the operator of the larger craft should be cited as was noted in the article and subject to criminal and civil charges.

Looks like son-in-law threw the operator under the bus.

Signature:

Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower

#9 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

Posted Jan. 18 2018 - 02:08 PM

No excuse guys but I do want to point out, the boat hit did not sound his horn.  "Hey, hey" is not going to cut it over boat engines. 

Boats are like guns, you have to plan on idiots being out there.  You just saw one run over a boat.

Tj

#10 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

Posted Jan. 24 2018 - 10:10 PM

What I noticed on this video was nobody seemed to warn or help anyone else on the boat getting hit. It was every man for himself! There was no grabbing your friends and pushing them to safety.

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

#11 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

PNW Sasquatch

Posted Mar. 16 2018 - 11:11 AM

While it can be argued the skipper should have had a hand held horn handy, he barely had time to grab it and use it before the boat was upon them after realizing the big glass boat was on a collision course. 

The aluminum boat was trolling for salmon, not anchored up. I don't believe he had the main engine running, only his little kicker. Steering and applying enough power to avoid the collision was unlikely. At least the occupants of the guide boat got out of the way, and they recovered camera footage. 

The jackwagon in the glass boat should never be let in control of a boat again. Anyone familiar with the Columbia River and its seasonal and mixed variety of traffic knows to watch for boats on troll - during salmon season a light day will still see dozens, if not hundreds of boats on the river in a given stretch, most on the troll, some anchored up depending on the fishery and location. Hog lines are common in certain places, at certain times. Other areas, you troll. 

Few boats actually anchor near the channel, some do, but the shipping traffic on the river is frequent, and the sheriffs in most stretches have a highly visible presence (in Oregon the Sheriffs are the ones primarily tasked with marine law enforcement) as do the state police and USCG. They move you if they find you anchored up in shipping lanes. 

It is always encumbent on the over taking boat to do so safely, and for the boat operator to be paying attention. He sounded no horns either, and was operating in a reckless manner given the conditions and boat traffic. 

The folks who went into the water should have had pfds on, but its like seatbelts in a car. Generally a good idea, but Nanny Gov should not be telling adults they must use them. 

Signature:
My Klingon Warrior can beat up your Imperial Storm Trooper

I don't care if it's shaped like a penis and you gotta cradle the balls to grip it if it shoots realiably and Glocks do.

#12 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 02:41 PM

The Guy said he couldn't see over the dash... If you can't see why are you piloting the damned boat?

• Flesh Wound likes this

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#13 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Jun. 09 2018 - 02:54 PM

The Guy said he couldn't see over the dash... If you can't see why are you piloting the damned boat?

Exactly.

Personally I think that was not the case, but rather an excuse. More than likely he was distracted.

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center