AR15Armory Announcements

SR-71 Blackbird Pilot Trolls Arrogant Fighter Pilot with Ground Speed Check.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joel74

You got one shot left in that shooter. Make the most of it.

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Mar. 06 2018 - 01:37 PM

Too damned funny. It's worth reading the whole story, but here's the punch line.

Somewhere, 13 miles above Arizona, there was a pilot screaming inside his space helmet. Then, I heard it. The click of the mic button from the back seat. That was the very moment that I knew Walter and I had become a crew. Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

I think it was the forty-two knots that I liked the best, so accurate and proud was Center to deliver that information without hesitation, and you just knew he was smiling. But the precise point at which I knew that Walt and I were going to be really good friends for a long time was when he keyed the mic once again to say, in his most fighter-pilot-like voice: “Ah, Center, much thanks, we’re showing closer to nineteen hundred on the money.”

For a moment Walter was a god. And we finally heard a little crack in the armor of the Houston Center voice, when L.A.came back with, “Roger that Aspen, Your equipment is probably more accurate than ours. You boys have a good one.”

Edited by Joel74, Mar. 06 2018 - 01:40 PM.

• Snake46 likes this

I will not comply.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."- Thomas Jefferson
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.

#2 ONLINE   Snake46

Posted Mar. 06 2018 - 06:49 PM

Always loved the Blackbird..cool story..

#3 OFFLINE   ScoutnUSA

• Group:Members*

Posted Mar. 06 2018 - 06:54 PM

This has been around for years, have listened to it dozens of times and I still listen to it everytime it gets posted.

Love it.

Sexiest plane ever created.

#4 ONLINE   Chris645

• Group:Members

Posted Mar. 12 2018 - 05:39 PM

I was in aerial photography in the Air Force.  Flightline troop........didn't get to fly.  I was fortunate enough to get to download the film from the SR-71 one dark, ominous night in Austin, TX.  Also had the opportunity to download the film in the U-2 toward the end of it's career.  Never made it into the cockpits of either, but my typical day was spent in the cockpits of the RF-101 Voodo and the RF-4C Phantom or the RB-66.  I still think the SR-71 was the sexiest bird ever built and it's a shame it's not still in the air doing the fantastic job it was designed to do.  Incredible aircraft.

• Rampy likes this

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member

#5 OFFLINE   wish2no

Posted Mar. 12 2018 - 05:52 PM

That was a good read! 

“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

“A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”

–  Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

#6 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Members

Posted Mar. 12 2018 - 05:58 PM

Hearing Major Shul tell the story is great.

• youngod likes this

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing;
when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors;
when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you…
you may know that your society is doomed."
Ayn Rand

#7 OFFLINE   wish2no

Posted Mar. 12 2018 - 06:04 PM

Video is awesome too!

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center