Photo

Troy Alpha Battle Rail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

• Group:Members

Posted Mar. 08 2018 - 06:28 AM

Is $129.99 a good price on a Troy Industries/MMC Armory 13" Alpha Battle Rail?  Troy has a $199.99 MSRP and Optics Planet is a bit over $160.  Anyone running one of these and have any comments?  I like the way they look and considering purchasing one of them.

TIA!

#2 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Mar. 08 2018 - 07:24 AM

I have a 9 Troy Alpha on my pistol and frankly I like it, a lot! Paid more than I should have through my LGS, but for a rifle or pistol that you intend to keep rather simple, I think it is a fine choice. I have recently posted a picture of it under the linear compensator thread if you are interested. I mounted a hand stop and just switched over a DD flashlight mount and a Fenix TK 12 light as this firearm has been transitioned to a HD role. Outside of the squid grip inserts, the hand guard is clean. It is rock solid and does not get overly hot with the rubberized grip inserts when shooting for extended periods of time. I may consider removing my DD Omega 7 handguard on my Carbine and replacing it with a 13 or 15 Troy Alpha at some future date. Im getting rather tired of the Tacti-cool look of some of my early decisions. KISS has become my approach to the AR platform. Oh, the decisions we make when we are young! LOL!
https://uploads.tapa...ebc7202075f.jpg

Edited by ewallover, Mar. 08 2018 - 07:32 AM.

• bamashooter and adamr19745 like this

#3 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Mar. 09 2018 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.  The squid grips are kinda odd looking to me.  Would you recommend them? Does the Troy get very hot with sustained fire?  I have some type of grips on all my HG's but they are all solid strips or slip on a quad rail.  I generally dont shoot so much at one time that I feel any heat on the HG but this one is going to go on my purpose built HD carbine and may see more fire than any other rifle.  

#4 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Mar. 09 2018 - 07:13 AM

I sorta thought the same thing and initially just put the inserts where my hand touched the HG. But after using the handguard, the tacky feel and the way my hand securely grips the firearm, I’m sold. Especially with the shorter barrel, I want to know where my fingers are at all times, especially in a time of high anxiety. I just recently filled in more of the holes, not sure if I will revert back to fewer squid grips, but for now the HG works just the way I like it. I’m sure you won’t have an issue with the heat from the barrel.

#5 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

Posted Mar. 09 2018 - 07:20 AM

I sorta thought the same thing and initially just put the inserts where my hand touched the HG. But after using the handguard, the tacky feel and the way my hand securely grips the firearm, I’m sold. Especially with the shorter barrel, I want to know where my fingers are at all times, especially in a time of high anxiety. I just recently filled in more of the holes, not sure if I will revert back to fewer squid grips, but for now the HG works just the way I like it. I’m sure you won’t have an issue with the heat from the barrel.

88dd5fb7e3a544773bac21a227510a9c.jpg
9b1619775c11827fe0ffef6d5bab420c.jpg

A couple views of the 9” Troy Alpha... with the offending “squid grips”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 12:08 AM

I own a Troy Charlie model Battle Rail. Sturdy rail

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#7 OFFLINE   Jaeger48

Jaeger48

chances are I'm wrong

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 12:12 AM

I have a troy alpha on my 300 blk upper- I really like it

#8 OFFLINE   JohnGaltOU812

JohnGaltOU812

Posted Mar. 14 2018 - 01:05 AM

I have a 13" and 15" alpha.  They are pretty aggressive on bare hands, but were the best looking thing on the market when I bought them.  There are enough holes and space between the barrel and rail that they don't get hot unless you dump *many* mags quickly.

Since then, the smoother and slimmer M-lock or Keymod rails have come out from other manufacturers (BCM and Midwest Industries) and I think I like them more than the Alpha.  I think Troy has a pretty decent looking M-lock rail as well, but when I was last shopping nobody had any on hand.

The Alpha is a well made rail and the fact that you don't need a special barrel nut is a bonus.

Edited by JohnGaltOU812, Mar. 14 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   hlhneast

hlhneast

Posted Mar. 20 2018 - 03:57 AM

The battle rail got here and it definitely is a nice piece of kit.  I am going to order some squid grips because the hole areas are a bit sharp and I can see where it would be uncomfortable after an extended shoot.  I will live with the odd look of them, black on black shouldnt be too noticeable. I know all would be needed would be where your hand actually rests but making all the holes look the same would lessen the impact of how they look.  They come in packs of 7 six hole runners and the 13" rail has 91 holes.  Kinda pricey adding another $75 to the rail to cover all holes without a picatinny section attached.

I went ahead while I was waiting for the Troy to arrive and built the rifle with a super slim Mlok HG and I kinda like it better than the Tory on this application.  I guess I will put it back in my parts box for now and use it on another project......another project.......AAaauuggghhh!!  BRD is a fickle Biotch.  Ive got an OT check this week but no budget for gun parts!  AAuuuuggghhh!! 

:tap: :laugh: :naughtynaughty: :whining: :hmm: :huh: :dontknow: What can I say.

Edited by hlhneast, Mar. 20 2018 - 03:59 AM.

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center