Photo

Newbie Shooting

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   RERM1

RERM1

• Group:Members*

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 05:09 PM

Yesterday I shot about 100 rounds....left side was great, but I will need to practice my shooting with both eyes open...

Thanks for the vids bj139!!!..I will be practicing this next week....

• bamashooter and bj139 like this

#22 ONLINE   longie

longie

• Group:Members

Posted Apr. 15 2018 - 07:12 PM

Yesterday I shot about 100 rounds....left side was great, but I will need to practice my shooting with both eyes open...

Thanks for the vids bj139!!!..I will be practicing this next week....

Hopefully your next order Of ammo will arrive in time. 😀
  • RERM1 likes this

Signature:

Acquiring parts to build.

#23 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 04:45 AM

Here is another video showing 2 views of the sights which is what you see with both eyes open.
This is an age old problem in shotgun shooting where you put the wrong bead on the taget.

Put the dot on the target.
Did you watch the video you posted? Notice how he shows a pistol, and your reference to a shotgun. Neither are red dots.
When you look through a red dot with one eye, how many dots do you see? For me its 1.
I never had a problem with a red dot.
  • bamashooter and RERM1 like this

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#24 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 04:46 AM

Also don't focus on the dot. Focus on the target.
  • RERM1 likes this

#25 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 05:32 AM

Your pont of aim will shift depending on which eye is looking.

It has to. Each eye is seeing from a different point of view.

• RERM1 likes this

#26 ONLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 11:07 AM

Your pont of aim will shift depending on which eye is looking.
It has to. Each eye is seeing from a different point of view.

So there's no way to hit anything with both eyes open looking through a red dot?
The video I linked must have someone hitting a plate with a hammer every time he pulls the trigger.
Thanks for clearing that up. Glad I never shot anything with both eyes open, and that no one recommends shooting that way.

#27 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 11:44 AM

So there's no way to hit anything with both eyes open looking through a red dot?
The video I linked must have someone hitting a plate with a hammer every time he pulls the trigger.
Thanks for clearing that up. Glad I never shot anything with both eyes open, and that no one recommends shooting that way.

You have to sight in so the red dot you see is aligned with the bullet strike.

If you align the other one you will be off. Just try lookng through the sight on a target and cover the objective or close your off eye.

I tried it to verify. If you are willing to try it you may find out.

#28 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 12:09 PM

I just got out my AR pistol with a red dot sight, set it on a chair and aimed at a branch about 50 yards away.

When covering the objective I could still see the red dot with my right eye but could now only see the branch with my left eye.

The red dot position shifted about 4 inches to the right of the branch.  This is just what I see, since I have two eyes. 

Maybe others see different.tiphat.gif

Edited by bj139, Apr. 16 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#29 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 02:24 PM

Here's my experience and what I believe to be what the deal is. You will naturally bring the optic up to your dominant eye which is likely the eye used to zero the weapon. With the dot at your point of aim, the impact will be the same whether you use that single eye or fire with both eyes open.

Your point of impact can shift going from one eye to the other but your poa should be a constant.

A tediously boring exercise (to some) is to, once zero has been established with your dominant eye, do the following:

If you have lens caps on your red dot, close the cap on the objective lens (muzzle end of optic). If not, apply tape, etc over the objective lens.

The "other" eye will (should) show the dot on target. Using only the dominant eye, you will of course see only the lens cap. Open the other eye (2 eyes opened again) and you will once again see the dot on target. Train that way til comfortable. As stated, focus on the target. The target dominates. Bring the dot to the target, not the target to the dot. The target is your primary; red dot secondary.

The adjustment will take a bit of time but be well worth it. The easiest method to begin training is with a close-in target. You can even do this in the comfort of your home with an unloaded weapon.

Edit: Reading your last input, I see you've attempted this to your dissatisfaction. I highly urge you to do it very, very close in and gradually increase distance. The best way would be either with a stabilized weapon or with a second person installing /removing lens cap so that your body movement remains static. You can do this dry/no fire only to get that brain trained-up.

I have no issues with it but it took a while. Once I begin pushing 100 meters or so I go dominant eye only for a more precise shot.

#30 ONLINE   bj139

bj139

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 03:13 PM

Bama,

You are right. When I look at a target and just throw the rifle up the red dot naturally aligns with my dominant eye.

Your dominant eye will usually overcome any tendancy for the view from the other eye to take over.

I consider this dominant eye shooting with enhanced field of view due to the other eye.

It seems to me to be the same as shotgun shooting.

Others have suggested a bit of translucent tape on the non-dominant eyeglass lens to make sure the cross eye view does not occur.

Anyway, if you know what is happening it will be easier to fix if a problem suddenly appears.

Edited by bj139, Apr. 16 2018 - 03:14 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

#31 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Apr. 16 2018 - 10:45 PM

I agree. I've always shot 1911s and a few other pistols both eyes open and mostly no sights. When people are learning two-eyes red dot I feel they're trying to hard, focus-wise. If they'll just lighten up and relax, they will actually detect and physically feel the brain giving priority to the dominant eye. To me it's physiologically similar to the sensation you feel when you slightly cross your eyes when trying to see in stereo. But if they're focused like a laser from the get go, that's where the problems begin resulting in discouragement followed by "screw it". 

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center