Car burglary blitz

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

PNW Sasquatch

• Group:Members

Posted May. 03 2018 - 01:52 PM

My car was burgled two nights ago, one of about a dozen in my neighborhood. Assholes got me good. I got lazy and left a bunch of gear, and worse yet, my AR pistol lower in the trunk. 

They got in without setting off the alarm, maybe they used a skimmer fob, theres a scratch that looks like they coat hangered the door but when *I* tried gaining entry without keys, the alarm went off.

The car was most definitely locked, it does so automatically when it senses the key moving away, and confirms it with a beep from the horn. I demonstrated as much to the deputy that took my report. 

I lost about $2,000 in fly fishing gear and the AR lower. Some was irreplaceable gear inherited from deceased family. Adding insult to injury, my insurance told me they will not cover a dime to replace anything. 

The lower is a Spikes Tactical, SN 039375. It has a knurled Rock River pistol buffer, and PSA enhanced LPK with nickle plated trigger and hammer. 

Other gear stolen imcluded a TFO Mini Mag fly rod, 2 Cabelas fly rods, a Nautilus CCF No 8 reel with a slightly bent reel foot, 4 other fly reels - Echo Ion, Martin 63, Cabelas Prestige Plus, and 90% of all my flies, mostly big bass bugs and streamers.

I got *one* fly back, the deputies found it while processing another neighbors car. It came off a rod I foolishly left strung up sitting in the car. Still had 3 inches of leader hanging off it. 

The real crappy thing is that I told myself earlier in the night I should bring stuff in, but I got distracted, then got tired. Woke up my car was trashed, everything was gone. Fers even spit tobacco juice or something on the ceiling, and left behind a nasty knit cap. 

Originally the cop was not going to dust for prints or anything, just took my report. It was not till about an hour or so later he came back, said the theft of tge firearm got forensics dept to take the case. This was after I cleaned the shart out of my car and threw that nasty cap away. They didn't procesd my car, but he did fish the knit cap out of the dumpster for evidence. 

I'm pissed at myself. I knew better. 

Signature:
My Klingon Warrior can beat up your Imperial Storm Trooper

I don't care if it's shaped like a penis and you gotta cradle the balls to grip it if it shoots realiably and Glocks do.

#2 ONLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted May. 03 2018 - 02:53 PM

It happens dude. We got hit hard in my little town a few weeks ago. Something like 30+ cars, plus about 8 stolen over a course of a couple weeks. I was able to put some stuff together and caught the little bastiages. Not through any cool forensics, but through good old fashioned police work. I will have forensics eventually, but it will take a bit, but they've already confessed to all of it, so that doesn't matter a whole bunch. 

You were one of the smart ones. ALL of my victims left their stuff unlocked. One argued with me, until I walked up and opened their door, after they swore it was locked while I was taking the report. We usually don't take prints on car prowls, unless there are some big ticket items or guns taken, and then only at the request of the owner. Fingerprint powder on the interior of a car is impossible to get out, and can ruin a light colored interior. On a stolen recovery, we'll dust the crap out of them, simply because the insurance is going to cover the loss anyway, and it's a felony, for now anyway. 

I don't have any fly gear, but I have some spinning gear if you're stuck without fishing. I can probably hook you up with at least a rod and reel, I know how much you fish to relax and get away from the grind. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"

- Einstein

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."

-Ernest Hemingway

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#3 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted May. 03 2018 - 03:17 PM

Sorry for your loss.  Such things make one really feel violated.  I was surprised the insurance wouldnt cover at least some of the loss.

Signature:

“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

“A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”

–  Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

#4 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted May. 03 2018 - 03:24 PM

Man that sucks, so sorry to hear this.  I know it doesn't help but BTDT, even got shot at once trying to stop them.  They broke into my sons car for damn comic books last year not $10 worth of stuff.  Change you can see through a window is like a neon sign in some cities.  

All these things are learning curves. 

BTW, Just as a note here, the time I was shot at, it was fishing gear, deep sea geer, and State Farm wouldn't pay a dime.  They wanted receipts for the gear said it was because there's so much difference in cost in fishing gear.  Now I know I should have bugged the crap out of them.  Find out who handled it, call them right after lunch every day, be nice, but get them to pay me to go the hell away. Not kidding, that's how you do it. 

Tj

#5 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted May. 03 2018 - 04:07 PM

Ugh, that really sucks goat balls......

Why won't insurance cover it?

Note to self, call insurance and find out if they cover shat inside a locked vehicle.......

#6 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted May. 03 2018 - 04:50 PM

Don't keep valuable stuff in a vehicle in the open. If you want to keep stuff in a vehicle put it in a garage or secure building. I hate it like hell but I always unload my vehicle every time. 

Edited by gshayd, May. 03 2018 - 04:51 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#7 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 03 2018 - 04:55 PM

Sorry to hear this. I freaking HATE thieves!!

Been there before!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#8 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

PNW Sasquatch

Posted May. 03 2018 - 05:19 PM

I'm alright on spin stuff, I hardly use it anymore though. That may change, it seems. 

Progressive says they will not cover any personal property not bolted to the car ie stereo, lights, etc. Pisses me off, this is the first time I have had a loss worth reporting, meaning quadruple my deductible. Bastiges. Going to start shopping for a new carrier. 

As for print dust, Other than the ceiling, my car has black interior, leather seats, black vinyl dash, silver & black console. Would've been ok with the mess, as insurance did say they would pay for any damage to the car itself. At this point I am just pissed in general, at myself, at the turds that did this. I hardly slept the next night. Every noise I was up an ready to rock. They probably won't hit our neighborhood again, but who knows. 

Next week I may call the deputy to see if they got any leads. It was random, but popo in the next town over shot a burglary suspect the very next day. Gotta say I was hoping it may be one of the same crooks. Long shot, but who knows. 

#9 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted May. 03 2018 - 05:24 PM

That works the majority of time, but when your traveling.......you can't unload your car every night at a hotel and then re load it in the morning...then what do you do during the day before ya go back to the hotel......and ya can't leave all your shat in the hotel room for the maids to clean around.

Don't keep valuable stuff in a vehicle in the open. If you want to keep stuff in a vehicle put it in a garage or secure building. I hate it like hell but I always unload my vehicle every time. 

#10 ONLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted May. 03 2018 - 05:57 PM

It happens all the time around here. People beotch about it and the cops go into arrest mode and invariably they find a person of color outside at 3am and question them. Invariably the person turns out to live there and within a day or 2 there are protests about the police being nazis. The city will tell the cops to back off the POC and within a week there are a bunch more cars broken into and people screaming for the cops to "do something".

It is a vicious cycle. 

We need to just shoot the tweakers in the head when they get caught and it would stop 99% of it.

They used to hang people for stealing horses. Now they likely won't even serve time for stealing cars. Need to get back to punishing criminals harshly. If they don't want harsh treatment then maybe they shouldn't commit crimes.

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

I mean if you are going to go potato go full potato.

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#11 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

Posted May. 03 2018 - 10:33 PM

Sorry to hear that.

I had my cars broken into before. Also had two cars stolen. It does suck when that happens.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#12 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted May. 04 2018 - 06:10 AM

I am sorry for your troubles, especially the loss of sentimental gear.

I presume that most of that stuff is sans serial numbers, so we can hope this is a local group.

I would visit the local pawn shops with list of the gear, and any pictures you may have.

Also check the want ads in paper and on line. 

I would also you consider contacting a local Independent Insurance Agent in your town,

sit down with them and let them know what you want your insurance to cover. Progressive does not are about you,

or if they are selling you the policy you want. They want to beat the closest bid, and get your business.

If you don't get what you were expected when you try and file a claim, they don't care. 

I have been with the same locally owned firm for close to 40 years, and I know what I am buying.

If a problem comes up with the insurance carrier, the local firm fights for me, because they want to keep my business.

One phone call and it's done.

I may pay a little bit more for it, but it has been worth every penny, IMHO. 

Edited by Retcop, May. 04 2018 - 06:11 AM.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#13 OFFLINE   hkriflenut

hkriflenut

PNW Sasquatch

Posted May. 05 2018 - 12:05 PM

So I checked with a pawn shop and the guy I talked to gave me interesting advice. He said not to tell him exactly what was taken, as he cannot buy or pawn it if he syspects its stolen. He said state law requires them to hold items purchased for 30 days before being made available for sale, and they get daily updates from the local police agencies about stolen property, which they are required to check items against before putting them on the floor. He said if an item matches the stolen property description, they call the cops. If its my stuff, he said I get it back and they turn the info of the pawner/seller over to LE. He told me that if I have no updates in 30 days, come in and look, and if I see my stuff let em know its stolen, and the police get notified. 

I have been checking all the other popular venues for disposing of goods, nothing yet. I really hope someone tries pawning that AR lower...

The owner if the SUV that was hit right after my car said the CSI gurus got a sh1tload of prints and other evidence off his car, so maybe that will give them a good starting point. So far, none of the neighbors I talked with saw any suspicious people, they all just woke up to their stuff missing. 

IF they used electronic means to enter my vehicle, thats disturbing in that if they can unlock it, they may easily be able to start it and drive off with it. I may reup my On Star subscription just in case, since OnStar can track and disable the car if its stolen. 

#14 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 05 2018 - 12:34 PM

Not good.

#15 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted May. 07 2018 - 12:03 AM

Saturday morning at 0500 I was getting ready to leave with my equipment on my trailer. A black Chevy s-10 came down my dead end road real slowly. At first I suspected it was a newspaper deliverer. I stood in the shadows as he drove by. When he turned around short of the only house that takes the newspaper I stepped out into the open and waited for him to drive back by. He had both windows down and was checking out the area real good. He looked my way when he went by and was only 50 feet away from me when I put my hand on my hip and hollered "keep moving".  He picked up the pace a tad on his way down the street. I'll be watching for him during the daylight now so I can get some numbers off his plates. 

• hkriflenut likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#16 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted May. 07 2018 - 12:46 AM

Saturday morning at 0500 I was getting ready to leave with my equipment on my trailer. A black Chevy s-10 came down my dead end road real slowly. At first I suspected it was a newspaper deliverer. I stood in the shadows as he drove by. When he turned around short of the only house that takes the newspaper I stepped out into the open and waited for him to drive back by. He had both windows down and was checking out the area real good. He looked my way when he went by and was only 50 feet away from me when I put my hand on my hip and hollered "keep moving".  He picked up the pace a tad on his way down the street. I'll be watching for him during the daylight now so I can get some numbers off his plates. 

:blink:

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center