Photo

Clamp on muzzle brakes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xonlyj

xonlyj

• Group:Members*

Posted May. 12 2018 - 02:49 PM

I am once again prostrating myself before the fount of knowledge. My current new toy is a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Grendel and I am interested in a muzzle brake. Unfortunately my barrel is not tapped and I heard about clamp on brakes. A quick search shows they are not chimeras but real devices. Has anyone tried or seen one in use. They appear to be custom fit with the measurements you send them. Do they loosen up? Are they concentric? Do they choke the barrel? An I/net search reveals several mfgs and a company called Witt Machine has a great return policy. They'll buy it back including shipping. Any input is appreciated.

As always, may God bless and guide us all.

Matt 

Signature:

Don't cloud the issue with the facts...

#2 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Group:Members

Posted May. 12 2018 - 05:45 PM

Kahntrol Systems in NC make them and my only dealings with them have been with their PodMods that allow Atlas feet and accessories to be used on a Harris BiPod. It’s a long story, and I don’t wish to expose any more of my gun smithing aptitude, but without question Jeremy Kahn’s Customer Service is absolutely fantastic! Call and talk with him, he can and will help you! His breaks look great and if I were in the market for one, I’d start with with them. Lots of caliber options too.

Enjoy!

#3 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted May. 12 2018 - 07:22 PM

I have no experience with a clamp on brake but if I were to get one I would not go cheap.....there is a lot of pull on that brake.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#4 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 02:59 AM

I personally would not trust or use one, but i own a lathe and thread barrels all the time so it would be sillynfor me to use one.

Signature:
Ill have those n*****s voting Democratic for the next 200 years. Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

#5 OFFLINE   ewallover

ewallover

• Group:Members

Posted May. 13 2018 - 09:14 AM

https://kahntrol.com/ (FWIW) it’s worth a look...

#6 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 11:50 AM

I do own a Kahntrol on my .300 Remington Ultra Magnum on which the barrel was not threaded. You have to measure your barrel dimension at certain spots. Follow the installation instructions and use anti sieze on the screws and check tightness after 50-100 shots. works for me. I may contact hzhardy if the future and ship it to him for threads.

Edited by gshayd, May. 13 2018 - 12:06 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#7 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted May. 13 2018 - 03:47 PM

IMHO I would pay to get the barrel threaded. Seems there's a lot of potential for bad things to happen with a "clamp on" brake.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#8 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 03:55 PM

IMHO I would pay to get the barrel threaded. Seems there's a lot of potential for bad things to happen with a "clamp on" brake.

This. Around here there are 'smiths doing barrel threading for very cheap. (Like $50 cheap) While not sure I'd trust a $50 smith (Homer, what says you?) I can see it being done for not much more $$.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges. I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Stop the Bad People. Help the Good People. Aid the needy people, where possible.

Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

#9 OFFLINE   hzhardy

hzhardy

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 05:21 PM

This. Around here there are 'smiths doing barrel threading for very cheap. (Like $50 cheap) While not sure I'd trust a $50 smith (Homer, what says you?) I can see it being done for not much more $$.

i have done them as cheap as 85 dollars for a barrel that has been removed from the action, but i typically charge 100 and up depending what is requested ie shortening and recrowning barrel profiling muzzle brake to barrel ect.

Edited by hzhardy, May. 13 2018 - 05:21 PM.

#10 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted May. 14 2018 - 07:38 AM

It would have to be with the action on because I don't have any way of taking it off or trust myself to put it back on. All I want is the barrel threaded. 

There is that but I check it everytime I use it.

I am not going to blow smoke up anybody's arse and say this is the optimum solution. At this point in time it

1. works

2. No gunsmithing required just some readily available tools.

In my military career, there have been many times the stuff wasn't available for an optimum solution so I had to make do with a working solution till I could get an optimum solution. I don't just trust anybody with my firearms. There is one guy here in town he is crazy busy out the wazoo. You have to make an appointment to get an appointment to get your work done. We are probably talking about months. Hzhardy if you want to give me quote for shipping the barreled action to you to thread it you can pm me. I have purchased and sold to you and watched your work here and would trust you to do the job.

Edited by gshayd, May. 14 2018 - 08:58 AM.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center