Photo

windsheild scuff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stj

Stj

• Group:Members*

Posted May. 13 2018 - 05:19 AM

I need to get some fairly deep "scuffs" made by the wiperblade, out of my windsheild. Googled and you tubed it. Does anyone here have real life experience getting rid of them without screwin up the rest of the glass? Any help is appreciated

Signature:
Steve

When you can't make them see the light, Make them feel the heat.--Ronald Reagan

#2 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 06:22 AM

Was it a metal part of the blade that actually scratched the glass,

or is it rubber/synthetic rubber that was old and left deposits on the glass ?

If it is rubber I would try a product called "Goo be Gone". The wife has been sure to keep a bottle of that on hand since she discovered it decades ago. 

Truth be told, I think it is mostly lighter fluid, but they may have some "secret sauce" or buffers in there. She even uses it on last ditch laundry stains/goo.  IDK. 

I have used plain Ronson lighter fluid as solvent for many things, too. I would imagine the generic brands are the same thing, but I would check 

You could treat yourself to a Zippo while you're at it. Great for camping or day hiking if you find yourself in a wet bind and needing fire. 

Don't get in on the vehicle paint. Another idea with the same caution would be kerosene. 

One more off the top of my head is plain nail polish remover. Be extra careful not to get any of that on the paint.

If it is scratches, I would call those windshield replacement companies and see if they have something similar to the liquid polymer chip patcher that they use.

Maybe they have a process they use on scratches. If they don't, maybe you could get lucky and actually speak to a technician who may have some ideas. 

The other thing that comes to mind is that I remember from a while back somebody selling a product for "renewing old windshields" which, IIRC,

included fixing minor scratches. It's some kind of polishing compound.  

If neither  of those works, you might want to track done a professional car detailer in your area. The kind that has contracts with auto dealerships

to get used car ready for sale. I used to know a couple of those guys, and it seems like they had a trick to make anything disappear. 

Have you tried Binging something like "Auto Detailing Tricks" or something similar ?  [Don't believe Google is a 2A supporter. Doubt that MS is,

but I can't recall them make any kind of public statements or restricting access to firearm related sites]

Also, a belated WELCOME to the board !   Please let us know if you find something that works.  It would be good to know.

Good Luck.

John

BTW: Is this an older vehicle ? 

• JohnGaltOU812 likes this

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#3 OFFLINE   Stj

Stj

• Group:Members*

Posted May. 13 2018 - 07:05 AM

By the look of it,I dont know, It looks like dirt or something was inbeded in the rubber and numnuts (dont know who) didnt clean it off and kept runnin the wipers anyway. I can feel it with my thumbnail. I saw the polishing videos but am hesitant to commit to that without fear of making the rest of the glass distorted. Its a company truck so I cant risk that without more knowledge. Thanks for your nput i'll check with safelight tomorrow My gut feeling is that they'll try to sell me a windshield. Maybe not.

I'll see if this POS tablet will use Bing;)

Edited by Stj, May. 13 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted May. 13 2018 - 07:31 AM

I usually try a little toothpaste and my Dremel to see if its possible before I commit to trying to polish the glass. 

#5 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted May. 13 2018 - 07:44 AM

By the look of it,I dont know, It looks like dirt or something was inbeded in the rubber and numnuts (dont know who) didnt clean it off and kept runnin the wipers anyway. I can feel it with my thumbnail. I saw the polishing videos but am hesitant to commit to that without fear of making the rest of the glass distorted. Its a company truck so I cant risk that without more knowledge. Thanks for your nput i'll check with safelight tomorrow My gut feeling is that they'll try to sell me a windshield. Maybe not.

I'll see if this POS tablet will use Bing;)

I think I had to download the app on my Android. Google wants to control everything...

If you got rid of any embedded rubber like gunk with a solvent, maybe you could get a better idea of the glass damage you are dealing with. 

A friendly pro car detailer may be more helpful than Safelight, but when you see them filling a large chip, maybe they can do small "chips", too.

As you can tell, I am one of those who is bothered by a funky windshield. 

All glass distorts over time. I once had a beloved aged Land Cruiser that got a chip in it that needed to be repaired. There were dips and valleys in the glass 

(glass is a liquid) where even new wiper would not touch, and I was running Bosch Ions at the time. (The best IMHO) 

Could not get the Insurance company to cover entire replacement instead of chip repair, but I did get them to give me credit what they would have paid for the chip repair. 

What an improvement, especially at night. 

I guess it's just one of my OCD items.

Good Luck !

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center