Photo

Lets talk a little "10mm" today!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shadow106

Shadow106

• Group:Members

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 08:02 PM

I see that this site isn't real active, which surprises me a little 'cause the 10mm is becoming very popular in the circles I hang with up here in Boise.  People carrying them for hunting or back packing in our area.  I had a chance last year to pick up a 10mm Tanfoglio all steel pistol at a very good price, just to see if I liked the caliber before committing to a more expensive model.  Or not.

Well, I'm quite pleased with the results, and with the pistol actually, which I wasn't sure about.  Its accurate, relatively easy to handle, and I've never had a pistol that throws brass that far away.  LOL!  Like, in the next county?

But I'm a 1911 person and I'm kinda out there, wondering which 1911 10mm would be best for regular use.  I obviously have gear that will accommodate the 1911 platform, but there are some basics I'm not sure about.  Hope you can help?

First of all, what is with this shooting .40 in a 10mm barreled pistol?  Is it safe?  What will that do to my pistol?  55 years of hand gunning has taught me about multiple calibers in wheel guns, but in a Pistol?

Do most 1911 10mm pistols interchange parts with .45 1911's?  Not the barrels, bushing, etc, but the pins, internals, guide rods, etc.?

I'm looking at the SR1911 model after some really good reviews, and I've owned four different models of this gun in .45acp since they first came out.   While my normal 1911 carry is a steel Colt Commander, the Delta is also in view, but Colt is doing some strange things lately, so I'm not sure I'd want a new model.  

I realize that I've asked a lot, but I hope I get some good intel from people with first hand experience with the 10mm round.  Thanks in advance for your help.

J.

Signature:

Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
Robert A. Heinlein

#2 ONLINE   Gmountain

Gmountain

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 08:07 PM

I love my Kimber Stainless II Target 10mm. Looks just like a 1911, because it is. I also have a blue Delta Elite which is a pretty cool 10mm.

Signature:

Wag more. Bark less.

So many guns, so little time.

#3 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure how anyone is shooting 40 in a 10mm barreled pistol as the head space is different. I had a S+W revolver chambered for both 40 and 10mm but it used moon clips for both rounds and had no place to headspace off the mouth of either. My gun failed and was pulled off the market and I sold mine back to the dealer. I liked the 10mm and it shot incredibly accurate. It was a short barrel thing and it had way less punch than a 10mm should have. My 357 magnums hit twice as hard as that short 10mm revolver did.  

The 1911 platform seems natural for the 10mm. I never looked back into the round as I tend to like revolvers and my 357's fit that bill much better. I am glad it is becoming popular again and it's nice to see the guns chambered in it today.  

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#4 OFFLINE   MontanaLon

MontanaLon

Flew with the Thunderbirds!

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 08:26 PM

But I'm a 1911 person and I'm kinda out there, wondering which 1911 10mm would be best for regular use.  I obviously have gear that will accommodate the 1911 platform, but there are some basics I'm not sure about.  Hope you can help?

First of all, what is with this shooting .40 in a 10mm barreled pistol?  Is it safe?  What will that do to my pistol?  55 years of hand gunning has taught me about multiple calibers in wheel guns, but in a Pistol?

Do most 1911 10mm pistols interchange parts with .45 1911's?  Not the barrels, bushing, etc, but the pins, internals, guide rods, etc.?

I'm looking at the SR1911 model after some really good reviews, and I've owned four different models of this gun in .45acp since they first came out.   While my normal 1911 carry is a steel Colt Commander, the Delta is also in view, but Colt is doing some strange things lately, so I'm not sure I'd want a new model.  

I realize that I've asked a lot, but I hope I get some good intel from people with first hand experience with the 10mm round.  Thanks in advance for your help.

J.

.40 in a 10mm barrel can work because in some guns the extractor holds the case tight enough that the firing pin can hit the primer hard enough to go off. Problem is it is only most or even some of the time. So it may not go bang when you need it to. I would keep it as a last ditch apocalypse and you can't find 10mm anywhere but .40 is all over the place. Then use the 40 in the 10 to kill someone with a .40 and take their gun. No one will say it is safe who has any sort of brain because rule #1 is only use the ammo the gun is marked for. 

As for the parts that are interchangeable between the 45 and 10mm, it is easier to list the parts that are not and then assume that the rest might. Barrel, slide and recoil spring are caliber specific. The frame may or may not work. Most of the 10mm barrels are ramped and most of the 45 barrels are not. If they have the same ramp setup though they should work. The rest of the parts may work in either one but would need to be tested. 

For the money, the Rock Island guns are solidly built. The Ruger is nice also but a bit higher priced. 

Signature:

I WILL NOT COMPLY!

This post approved by the NSA!

We are never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy......
Sight picture and trigger control, the 2 most important things I am teaching my son.
Criminals, if they retreat in the face of lethal force kill them for not even having the work ethic to do their chosen profession well.
So we are expected to believe that the same scientists that are 50% wrong on the weather of the Earth tomorrow are somehow able to predict a storm on a star 93 million miles away in 2 years.
Get real.

"Gitmo, you didn't close that!"

#5 OFFLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 08:26 PM

The 1911 based 10's should be mostly the same as a 45 1911. Other than the specifics for the caliber.

Also, I cannot see how you would shoot 40 in that. The cases headspace off the mouth. S&W, shorter and weaker than 10! :segrin:

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

And.... BFYTW.

#6 OFFLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Jun. 02 2018 - 11:34 PM

I have a Glock 40 MOS in 10mm and a Rock Island Ultra MS 1911 in 10mm. Like them both. I changed out the OEM stock sights on the Glock for Silencer sight heights from Trijicon.

gallery_24285_275_379734.jpg

https://us.glock.com/g40mos

gallery_24285_275_249127.jpg

http://armscor.com/f...-ultra-ms-10mm/

Here is an interesting article about shooting 40 S&W in a 10mm Glock. Please take the disclaimers as being serious. This might work in a Glock 10mm but it might not work in other brands of 10mm. 

http://www.thetrutha...n-a-10mm-glock/

Edited by gshayd, Jun. 03 2018 - 03:58 PM.

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#7 OFFLINE   sqlbullet

sqlbullet

Posted Jun. 03 2018 - 09:45 AM

I think lots of us post our 10mm content over at 10mm-firearms.com

#8 OFFLINE   Shadow106

Shadow106

Posted Jun. 03 2018 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the good replies gang.  Always good to know you are all out there to help.  

J.

#9 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jun. 03 2018 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the good replies gang.  Always good to know you are all out there to help.  

J.

Good to see you back here. I sold off all my 10mm leftovers to Intercooler. Good to see he is still into them.

#10 OFFLINE   adair_usmc

adair_usmc

Posted Jun. 04 2018 - 01:31 PM

I have three 10mm's, a Glock 40 MOS, Sig tacops 1911, and a kimber eclipse custom II, and I love them all.  My favorite to shoot is the Glock 40 though, and I have shot some .40 Swishers & Welfare down it and it worked fine.  Not something I would do regularly, but it can be done.

You are right that 10mm is getting popular in Boise Shadow, a little over a month ago I was in 5 guys and found a loaded underwood 10mm round on the floor under our table, which was a nice find.  

My 10mm's - 

cDabq00.jpg

4525238718_aae92bd9e8_z.jpg

#11 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Jun. 05 2018 - 06:03 PM

Some nice looking 10mms in here fellas!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center