Magpul Glock Magazines

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:25 AM

Since OEM LE mags are cheap, and don't really go bad... I haven't seen the need for anything else. I've got a nice surplus of G19 magazines, and a couple of G17 magazines. If Magpul were to branch out and start making Sig magazines, I'd think about trying them, just due to the price point of Sig mags. 

Here's where I mount my soapbox. If, and it might be a big IF, they're just as good, you're saving what, $10 a magazine? At MSRP vs. MSRP? Like Jaeger said, I carry a gun to save my life or someone else's. I don't carry it because it's fun (it's not) or because it's convenient, (it's not) but in case I have to do the unthinkable, and shoot someone repeatedly to keep them from harming me or someone else. I am signing on to, in all probability, take a human life. That is the ONLY function of my Glock 19. Yeah, I practice with it, and I plink with it, but that's not why it exists. It exists to kill someone should the need arise. Millions of rounds have gone through factory Glock magazines. They're known for being dead nuts reliable, and feeding every time. It's Glock "Perfection". They just work. I have not personally had a malfunction that wasn't intentionally induced in a Glock in YEARS. Shooting all types of ammo, shooting in all types of conditions. They just work. Even if I save $10 per magazine, that's money well spent on peace of mind, knowing that the gun will work, and that there are literally millions (probably into the trillions) of rounds fired out of Glock magazines without a hiccup. 

I just had a day long class with 10 guys who are issued a rifle, but are too cheap to put their own light or optic on it. Four have their own light and optic. Why? They'd rather settle for whatever the agency issues, it's good enough. Given the option, they'd buy Magpul Glock magazines, and do so happily, thinking that "they're just as good, and I saved $5". Spend a few dollars to save your own hide. 

Now, I applaud innovation, and applaud Magpul for trying new stuff. However, other than a price point to go after, there's nothing that they can do that Glock can't. And when it's my ass on the line, I spent the money for stuff I KNOW will work. I will continue to do so, within reason. If Glock factory magazines double in price, I'd start considering a cheaper alternative. All I've read, I keep hearing, "They're just as good", and their real selling point is price. If a few bucks per magazine is gonna break you, then you have worse problems than the cost of a magazine or two. 

I would use OEM mags for carry, but I was thinking some Magpuls might save wear and tear on my OEM mags,

as long as they function properly.  Also good for stocking up, IMHO.

The LC 5.56 XM193 I have is not be my first choice as SD ammo, but I also can't afford to stock thousands of Speer Gold Dot .223 for a rainy day. 

Same concept for me as far as saving money with the mags. They may be good for training and SHTF, bt the OEM will be in my sidearm when the feces flys, just like the Gold Dot will be in my rifle, until I run out that is. Then I'll do the LC, or Magpul pistol mags id I have to. 

That reminds me, I need more .45 ACP mags....

Since I want to stock up on mags (I already own Glock mags for pistols I don't own) maybe I am looking in the wrong place to try and save money,

because the mags are not as numerous as ammo, and the total savings is much greater with the ammo. 

Truth be told, I always use OEM magazines, given they are at the heart of any semi-auto.

Which is why I asking before I buy a single one. Not big on pistols as paperweights.

It not all or none. I think the magpuls, after what I have read here, can play a role.

BTW: Does anyone think the 30 some round Glock OEM 9mm mags will have extra worth, possibly as a barter item, 

if things get hinky ?  I know they work so are not a gimmick.

Lots more sub-guns around these days, too.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#22 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:32 AM

Sample of one in a home made pistol is statistically insignificant, margin for error in building that home made pistol is off the chart, it's a cobbled together pistol that nobody else in the world has...

I'm not being a butt, an ass or anything else....just saying that you have zero grounds to stand on blaming a magazine that work in factor built, factory spec handguns.

It's like if I was to say my LaRue AR15 hates Magpul mags as I've got a few that are nothing more than developmental test mags...they work in my DD and other AR's, but not in my LaRue, thus my LaRue hates Magpul magazines.....

I think you are missing the point, my friend.

We can PM if ya want. 

i don't think I have the last set of hot tub pics yet. 

Did you get that special body hair filter working ? 

#23 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

• Group:Members

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:40 AM

I'm a day late and dollar short as always.......

Need to look in my boxes of unopened Magpul mags to see if I have any unopened ones left, have tons of unopened AR mags, but not sure about pistol mags....

Have a triple filter and UV light, but the filters keep clogging....

19c75ec79faadd89aeb9a417fbecb940--perver

I think you are missing the point, my friend.

We can PM if ya want. 

i don't think I have the last set of hot tub pics yet. 

Did you get that special body hair filter working ? 

#24 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:42 AM

Daughter has 3-15 rd Magpul mags that she got as soon as they were released for public sale & they are fully loaded with 124gr Gold Dot ammo and have been carried by her and never shot.

I've got several that have been loaded with ball ammo for at least a year if not longer, have lost track of how long.....

I asked her to just shoot the ammo, put out a B27 target and then shoot each mag till slide lock for accuracy & any malfunctions with 2-3 seconds between each shot & she said she will let me know how it goes.

Cool !  I know small samples are not the best, but it is something. 

Consider  the people who build Mclaren super cars, they put a decent number of miles on each car before it is delivered. 

This is because they have learned that if something is going to fail, it is likely to do so quickly.

And they are working with very small sample sizes also.

#25 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:50 AM

I'm a day late and dollar short as always.......

Need to look in my boxes of unopened Magpul mags to see if I have any unopened ones left, have tons of unopened AR mags, but not sure about pistol mags....

Have a triple filter and UV light, but the filters keep clogging....

19c75ec79faadd89aeb9a417fbecb940--perver

JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH  !

What the hell is wrong with you ? !

If you ever do one of those "Ancestry.com" type DNA tests you better turn it into a veterinarian to get accurate results...

#26 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 04:43 AM

Problem is you hear "They're just as good" about almost everything even when we know 100% that is a bold face lie....We know Aimpoint makes the best optics and when somebody says his $110 import chinese/Korean optic is "just as good" we all know it's a lie......

You have said that about toy parts on your duty AR, I forget where from, but they made toy AR parts and they were "They're just as good" as the real deal according to you.

Why by a $30 dollar holster for a $600 pistol instead of spending $100 or more for a quality holster....and then say the $75 or more holster is to expensive and that the cheap holster is just as good.....

We know Magpul mags are as good as, not just as good as  but it does not matter....only thing that matters is are people feelings and to not hurt them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As far as duty parts go, I won't scrimp. I run an Aimpoint PRO, an Insight light, Magpul forend, and B5 Sopmod stock. My sights are GG&G. I'd have a more "tacticool" forend, but it scares our city council, they "look" evil. 

Sorry bud, but they're going to have to settle for "just as good". When there are quite literally millions of Glock magazines in current police use, and the failure rate is as close to zero as is statistically possible, they're going to have to work hard to show an advantage. I haven't heard one yet. They don't add reliability. They don't last longer, they have less "features" (window for example), they're looking for a problem to correct. About the ONLY thing that they've got going for them, is price. They might beat OEM Glock mags on price. If so, good for them. Today I saw 1500 rounds go through various used and abused Glock magazines, 10 year old Glock magazines. Not a hiccup in the bunch, and that's with 11 different shooters. (it wasn't a high pistol round count day) They're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. At least when they made AR mags, they had the "you can run it over with a truck" and the thing of being able to seat a fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt. These don't even have that. They're not fixing a perceived fault, which they were with their AR mags. 

There are plenty of companies that have made shat magazines over the years, and back in the day, we were forced to use them if we wanted high capacity magazines. We aren't stuck with that today. Where they could excel, and correct some real challenges, is in the Ruger Mini lines. Both the Mini 30, and the Mini 14 could use good, full capacity magazines. They could replicate M1A magazines. They could go after a bunch of different niches in the marketplace. Instead, they chose to ride brand recognition and go after the largest magazine market out there, while not correcting even any perceived weaknesses. The fact that they've got people buying them means the marketing wank is working for them. 

But since you're a die-hard fan, let's switch this around. If they're the best of the best of the best, and they're correcting so many perceived faults, let's think about it critically for a moment. If they were 3x the price of an OEM magazine, would you still buy them? If it's truly a BETTER product for a lifesaving tool, you shouldn't have to think about it for even a second. 

Signature:

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character"
- Einstein

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here I am. Send me!"

I will NOT comply!

#27 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 07:11 AM

Who would have thought me asking what kind of experience people were having with magpul Glock magazines 

would have ended up like this ? 

#28 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 01:55 PM

Well that tard rampy is around.....

If he had any NIB Magpul magazines laying around he was going to send you a couple to play with....but he does not, all his are in use and no idea how used/abused any of them are...

If you want to get a couple to play with and have not used this place before, make an account with them & you get a discount, good company and good prices with the occasional killer sale.

https://dsgarms.com/

Who would have thought me asking what kind of experience people were having with magpul Glock magazines 

would have ended up like this ? 

#29 ONLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 02:00 PM

I stand corrected thought you said you used UTG parts on your duty weapon at one point and felt they were just as good as.........

I've got 2nd gen glock mags that work just fine & who knows how much abuse they have seen.

Glock did look at Magpul's Glock  magazines and copied some design changes in making changes to the Gen 5 mags, so don't buy any Gen 5 Glock mags............

As far as duty parts go, I won't scrimp. I run an Aimpoint PRO, an Insight light, Magpul forend, and B5 Sopmod stock. My sights are GG&G. I'd have a more "tacticool" forend, but it scares our city council, they "look" evil. 

Sorry bud, but they're going to have to settle for "just as good". When there are quite literally millions of Glock magazines in current police use, and the failure rate is as close to zero as is statistically possible, they're going to have to work hard to show an advantage. I haven't heard one yet. They don't add reliability. They don't last longer, they have less "features" (window for example), they're looking for a problem to correct. About the ONLY thing that they've got going for them, is price. They might beat OEM Glock mags on price. If so, good for them. Today I saw 1500 rounds go through various used and abused Glock magazines, 10 year old Glock magazines. Not a hiccup in the bunch, and that's with 11 different shooters. (it wasn't a high pistol round count day) They're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. At least when they made AR mags, they had the "you can run it over with a truck" and the thing of being able to seat a fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt. These don't even have that. They're not fixing a perceived fault, which they were with their AR mags. 

There are plenty of companies that have made shat magazines over the years, and back in the day, we were forced to use them if we wanted high capacity magazines. We aren't stuck with that today. Where they could excel, and correct some real challenges, is in the Ruger Mini lines. Both the Mini 30, and the Mini 14 could use good, full capacity magazines. They could replicate M1A magazines. They could go after a bunch of different niches in the marketplace. Instead, they chose to ride brand recognition and go after the largest magazine market out there, while not correcting even any perceived weaknesses. The fact that they've got people buying them means the marketing wank is working for them. 

But since you're a die-hard fan, let's switch this around. If they're the best of the best of the best, and they're correcting so many perceived faults, let's think about it critically for a moment. If they were 3x the price of an OEM magazine, would you still buy them? If it's truly a BETTER product for a lifesaving tool, you shouldn't have to think about it for even a second. 

#30 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 02:34 PM

I stand corrected thought you said you used UTG parts on your duty weapon at one point and felt they were just as good as.........

I've got 2nd gen glock mags that work just fine & who knows how much abuse they have seen.

Glock did look at Magpul's Glock  magazines and copied some design changes in making changes to the Gen 5 mags, so don't buy any Gen 5 Glock mags............

I know your post was not directed at me, but wanted to address the Gen 5.

I am taking the wait and see on the Gen 5, as I am in need of a G19. I have OEM mags for Gen 3 and 4 G19's new in anticipation, but I have no idea if they will work in Gen 5.  I am waiting to see if there are any bugs in the gen 5 that need working out. Overly cautious, I admit.

I had a Gen 2 many moons ago and it was the pistol that made me realize the beauty of the Glock. I started shooting and carrying that after the P35, and the difference in weight alone was worth the price of admission. It shot just like the P35, from any position, with any ammo. (I did have the feed ramp on the P35 polished for hollow points....

#31 OFFLINE   Pepper

Pepper

Ban-O-Matic

• Group:Admins

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 03:23 PM

I did have a UTG forend, just not on a duty gun. Back when I was forced to use a department issue gun, I was given a UTG railed forend to try out. I put it on my own personal rifle, and shot the crap out of it for a while. I beat it up, and it just seemed to do what it needed to do. It appeared to be well made, but you could tell that there would be a difference in fit and feel. With the UTG, they had sharp edges, it just didn't feel as "refined" as a more expensive railed forend from one of the bigger names. I only had it on there for a few months, back when I used that gun as a test mule for different stuff. I still had some reservations about guys using them, I'd have to see current offerings before allowing their use for duty, whereas I would blanket approve offerings from the major manufacturers. 

Now, when I returned the issued rifle and started fielding my own, I set it up in it's current form. It's been this way for a few years, before that I had an Eotech, it got replaced when we had a group buy here on Aimpoints, after the moving zero issue surfaced with Eotechs. 

I'm not one for fads in firearms. Our industry is no different than many others, there's always someone looking to make a buck off of people looking for the latest and greatest. It can be magazines, forends, stocks, a grip style, anything. I prefer to hold to the tried and true, a known quantity until it's been proven. I'm not opposed to change, IF and only IF, it can be shown to be an improvement. Change for the sake of change is as retarded as maintaining the status quo, simply because "that's how we've always done it". 

Now, IF there has been an issue with Gen 5 Glock magazines, I haven't heard about it. Doesn't mean there isn't any, but I simply haven't heard about it. We're talking about upgrading our current G21SF's to Gen 5 G17's. If it looks like there's going to be a reliability issue with factory magazines, then I'll try out the Magpul offering, and if it corrects a problem, I'll probably support replacing all of our mags with Magpul. That's not what they were designed for, they came out before Gen 5 Glocks came out, they were trying to save a buck. Ok, I get that in some cases, because it makes sense. It just doesn't make sense from a reliability standpoint, and I'm not seeing enough of a price difference for blue label folks to make the switch. Maybe if someone is forced to spend full MSRP for OEM, but even then, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. 

#32 ONLINE   calebj06

calebj06

Posted Jun. 14 2018 - 06:19 PM

I have some of the magpul mags for my g19. I use them in competitions so they get slammed home hard, pulled out of mag carriers hard, dropped, and stepped on.

Zero problems in the last 1.5-2 years.

Im ok with them and I use them interchangeably with my factory mags. When I went to my LGS thats what they had so thats what I bought.

#33 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 12:44 AM

I use them for range mags, I think I have close to 50ish glock 19 mags so I have no shortage of factory OEM magazines to rotate out. The reason for so many is I bought 2 used gen2s with 30 mags awhile back for dirt cheap.
The one beotch I have is only one of the 3 I bought will drop free. The other 2 need a tug to send them to the ground. Or a few flicks of the wrist. As for guns I use them with, I run them in a gen 2 and gen 3 g19. Round count total in 3 mags is probably 500 but that's a conservative estimate. They do feed everything from steel cased tula to crap remington umc hollow points and federal hst though.

Honestly though, your buying a g19 right? If it's a used one it comes with 2 glock OEM mags. If you go that blue label route (not sure since I'm not LEO) you get 3 mags right? And you already own a few for it? If you have 5 OEM magazines and you want to buy 2 of these to try out like I did I see no reason not to save 20 bucks or whatever the difference is and put it towards ammo, for 30 bucks you can get 50 rounds of federal hst hollow points. So I say go for it Buy 2 and use them at the range of they dont drop free or you want to reduce wear and tear on the factory mags.

Signature:
WELCOME TO MY HOME THAT DOOR YOU JUST KICKED IN, WAS LOCKED FOR YOUR PROTECTION, NOT MINE.
K.C.C.O
FIGHT UNTIL HELL FREEZES OVER THEN FIGHT ON THE ICE.
UNION
GAS IT UP AND BURN IT DOWN
VikingPrayer2_zpsc58b35ab.png

#34 OFFLINE   Derk_digler24

Derk_digler24

well lookie here...

Posted Jun. 15 2018 - 12:47 AM

Also I am willing to bet that a company like magpul has a few that have been loaded for years and they test them out every once in awhile. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just seems dumb if they didn't do any tests like that

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center