AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Does your Harley-Davidson motorcycle leak oil?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Harley-Davidson (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your Harley-Davidson leak oil?

1. Yes, of course, it is a Harley! (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. No, Harley's are not known for leaking oil (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

What year is it or when did you buy it?

1. 1903-1910 I am filthy rich (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1911-1941 I have money but not enough (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 1942-1945 battle hardened (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 1946-1951 arguably the classic years (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1952-1969 the Classic years, marred by seeking a 40% tariff on imported bikes (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

6. 1970-1989 Yes made by a company that sold tennis racquets (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 1990-2010 I retired and wanted a Hog because it was the only American made bike left and I didn't mind spending 50% more than it was worth (5 votes [71.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

8. 2010-2018 I bought it from an old man who broke his hip and couldn't ride anymore when his 401k crashed (1 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

9. 2018 I wanted to get in the last year they were still "made in the USA" before they went out of business (0 votes [0.00%])

Where does it leak from?

1. Chain covering (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Breather tube (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Air filter cover (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Hell, it leaks more than that (3 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

5. It doesn't leak anymore so I can now bed down with it in motels (4 votes [57.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Jul. 11 2018 - 11:11 PM

I'd love to have a big road bike. But the way the fools drive around here I'm sure I'd end up as road-rash cat food.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges.
I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Keep shooting until your target changes shape or catches fire.

#22 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jul. 13 2018 - 06:38 AM

I'm hoping to pick up a nice VTX1800 with 8500 miles on it. Going for $3500. It's a 2002, but lots of chrome upgrades, crash bar w highway pegs, newer kuriakyn grips, passenger back rest. In fact the only thing I'd add is floor boards. adb92e5388bf62034991ce72ae980fd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's about the going price for a Jap bike that old but the mileage makes it an excellent deal.  It should be on the original tires still so do the penny test on the treads.  If anything, you can use that to negotiate the price a little.  Otherwise, I would not suspect anything mechanical.   A big engine bike, especially liquid cooled, that's really not a lot of miles. 

As for the VTX, it has way plenty power, over 100 hp and good weight for a comfortable ride.  Of course, the stock seat sucks but then it does on all of them until you get into the very high priced tour bikes.  That includes Harley's.  I didn't ride my stock seat a month on my Harley before I changed it for a Mustang.  Liquid cooled so great for engine oil life and not having to worry about engine temp all the time.  Though I've become a fan of belt drives due to the give like a chain but comfort of a drive shaft, its hard to beat the low maintenance of a shaft.  The stock 2002 had a 300 watt alternator paired with a 310 cranking amp 18 Ah battery which is plenty good if you want to add additional lights but a tad on the weak side compared to a tour bike and say adding the stereo from hell.  Its comparable to most of the mid-size bikes, however at over 700lbs, I'd think of the VTX as a mid-heavy.  In the Harley world it would be more like a Hertiage Softail/Road King than either a Dyna or  Tour bike.  Its a bigger machine than most Japanese mid-sizes. 

If I gigged it for anything really its its 5 speed transmission.  Its going to be a bit buzzy on interstates and with all that power the bike cries for a sixth gear.  I'd say why the owner put highway pegs on it.   That said, man, have I seen guys modify the hell out of the VTX.  Saw one the other day, the guy put an aftermarket ferring on it, yes with a nice stereo and was touring the US with his pals.  It was really impressive. 

In general, this was the type bike I preferred prior to buying a true tour bike.  Its a great compromise between a tour bike and street cruiser kind of combining an element of both worlds.  Myself I'd bag it and windshield it so fast it would make your head spin. That's enough bike to be way more than just a day rider.  It'd make a hell of a weekender or one weeker.   

Tj

#23 OFFLINE   Casper

Casper

• Group:Members

Posted Jul. 13 2018 - 08:42 PM

With 8500 miles on it, it might be on its original tires, but it shouldn't be. Those tires would be 16 years old! That's 531 miles a year on average.

Those tires have likely sat on concrete without moving for long periods of time. Old rubber and maybe some flat spots means they shouldn't be the original tires.

Otherwise, it's a decent deal if you've got the spare cash.

Signature:
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for."

#24 OFFLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*

Posted Jul. 14 2018 - 11:55 AM

My brother in law has a Harley and there is a huge pool of oil under it.

The crankcase is very shiny, though.  It is about 7 years old and still shiny.tongue.png 

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center