• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 05 2018 - 04:30 PM

I'm in love!

Took the little RPR out on the 100yd range today for a bit. It's hot and humid, but a stiff breeze made it comfortable enough, and it kept the bugs down.

Shooting CCI Standard Velocity 40gr ammo. Since I had it roughly sighted in @ 50yds, and since I was shooting at an 8" gong instead of a bullseye target, I held dead on for the first round to see if I'd at least clip the bottom. It missed. So the second round I held about 2" higher, and it missed too. The third round I held a full MIL over and clipped the bottom. I never missed after that.

Seeing where my hits were knocking the paint off, I determined that it was shooting 1.6 MILs under zero. By the end of the first mag (15rnds) it was too easy, so for the next mag I dialed in the 1.6 MILs on the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP w/APLR2 reticle. It was spot on! In fact, it was shooting so well that I started shooting at the hole in the top of the gong, and then at one of the bolt heads. The 9-13mph right-to-left crosswind was the only challenge at that point. I didn't actually walk up to the target when I was done, so I don't know if I ever hit the inside of the hole at the top, but I'm pretty sure that I did.

s12Tn1V.jpg

I50HgqS.jpg

KeyrWWt.jpg

Edited by Longhair, Aug. 10 2018 - 02:07 PM.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#2 OFFLINE   adamr19745

adamr19745

Posted Aug. 05 2018 - 05:11 PM

Is that amount of drop normal for 22 at that range. Not questioning your shooting just trying to learn 22 drop at that range

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

#3 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 05 2018 - 05:26 PM

Is that amount of drop normal for 22 at that range. Not questioning your shooting just trying to learn 22 drop at that range

It depends entirely on the ammo you shoot and what distance you have it zeroed for. The CCI Standard Velocity shoots an advertised 1070FPS, though I haven't chronographed it through this gun yet, so I can't say for sure what speed I'm actually getting.

#4 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 09 2018 - 10:06 AM

Excellent! I shot it's big brother last weekend at the NRA Whittington center in New Mexico and was quite pleased with its performance as well!

It held 1/2 MOA consistently even at extreme distance!

Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure yours is a lot cheaper to shoot! :laugh:

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#5 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 09 2018 - 10:53 AM

Excellent! I shot it's big brother last weekend at the NRA Whittington center in New Mexico and was quite pleased with its performance as well!

It held 1/2 MOA consistently even at extreme distance!

Congrats on the purchase! I'm sure yours is a lot cheaper to shoot! :laugh:

I saw your pic of the RPR in the Appleseed thread, and I thought to myself "If I can scrape together a couple extra $K I might have to get one before the next Armory shoot." You folks looked like you had too much fun, and I'm seriously jealous.

For now I'm just going to work with my cheap to shoot RPR, and save my shekels toward the big brother and another good piece of glass.

#6 OFFLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 09 2018 - 12:33 PM

That's a sweet rifle Longhair.  You're going to be taking that to the range every time you go now.  

Spend a little more money on some target ammo, SK, Wolf, etc. and watch your groups tighten up.  I haven't tried the top of the line ammo yet, Center-X etc., but I will.  

This is one of my groups at 100 yards last time I went to the range, shooting SK Standard Plus.  Not great, but not bad for me.  

B1Sahea.jpg

And this is one of my groups at 200 yards.  I think that's a 3" dot.  I'm going to try to tighten that up next trip.

9a9pzDe.jpg

• Longhair likes this

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#7 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 09 2018 - 03:44 PM

First off, I have to admit that I made a slight mistake in my OP.

Not that it matters much, but the gong is only 6", not 8". In the back of my mind I knew that, but messed up while writing up my post.

That's a sweet rifle Longhair.  You're going to be taking that to the range every time you go now.  

Spend a little more money on some target ammo, SK, Wolf, etc. and watch your groups tighten up.  I haven't tried the top of the line ammo yet, Center-X etc., but I will.  

This is one of my groups at 100 yards last time I went to the range, shooting SK Standard Plus.  Not great, but not bad for me.  

B1Sahea.jpg

And this is one of my groups at 200 yards.  I think that's a 3" dot.  I'm going to try to tighten that up next trip.

9a9pzDe.jpg

Hulka, that's a nice group @ 100yds. :thumb: I have no doubt that you'll tighten up that 200yd group given what you did @ 100yds.

The reason that I'm shooting the CCI SV is pretty much two-fold, the first being that out of a dozen different types of ammo I've shot in the past out of several different guns, it has been a solid consistent performer. The second reason is that being a favorite for other 22LRs I have, I've stocked up on it and still have over 6K rounds on hand. At some point I'll try others to see what this particular rifle likes, but I won't be terribly surprised if I land right back where I started. Time will tell. One reason that I believe this stuff shoots as well as it does is because it's subsonic. And being subsonic, it doesn't suffer the disruption of going through the transition from supersonic.

I took it out today for a short run @ 150yds, mostly to see how accurate the numbers were that Strelok provided.

In all fairness I need to take an afternoon to first run this ammo through a chronograph to see exactly what sort of speed I get with this gun, and beyond that I need to sight it in more precisely @ 50yds for my zero. Until then everything is only relative. The temps and rain chances are going to be more favorable over the next five days, not to mention that the wind is supposed to be half what it's been, so I'm planning to get the basic leg work out of the way and then get more serious.

The way it is right now, the numbers are two tenths of a MIL over what it shoots @ 100yds, and @ 150yds it's over by four or five tenths. I'm hoping that it will be more correct once I have the real numbers to input, because that will save me time and ammo when I start reaching out @ 200yds and beyond. The goal is consistent hits on that 6" gong @ 300yds, and depending on how easy that is I'll go further, but anything much beyond 300 I'll consider a bonus. I will shoot it at targets out to 500 and beyond, but they will be larger. Looking at the dope, at 700yds I'd be looking at about a 50MIL holdover. :lol:

#8 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 02:05 PM

Finally ran some of the CCI SV through the Chrony, and was surprised at how much faster than advertised it is.

Conditions:

Temp           82°F

Humidity      60%

Baro Press  981.8 mBar / 29.2in

Average velocity was 1136, which is right about at the speed of sound for my elevation and these conditions.

I input the data into my Strelok app and SURPRISE....spot on with what I'd been experiencing out on the range!

Correction @ 100yds = 1.6MRAD

@ 150yds = 3.9MRAD

@ 200yds = 6.6MRAD

@ 250yds = 9.6MRAD

@ 300yds = 12.8MRAD

@ 500yds it will be 28.3MRAD

I'll verify these on targets ASAP, but it may be next week before I can run the distances over 200 because I'll have to do that over at the neighbor's.

#9 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 04:10 PM

Finally ran some of the CCI SV through the Chrony, and was surprised at how much faster than advertised it is.

Conditions:
Temp           82°F
Humidity      60%
Baro Press  981.8 mBar / 29.2in

Average velocity was 1136, which is right about at the speed of sound for my elevation and these conditions.

I input the data into my Strelok app and SURPRISE....spot on with what I'd been experiencing out on the range!

Correction @ 100yds = 1.6MRAD

@ 150yds = 3.9MRAD

@ 200yds = 6.6MRAD

@ 250yds = 9.6MRAD

@ 300yds = 12.8MRAD

@ 500yds it will be 28.3MRAD

I'll verify these on targets ASAP, but it may be next week before I can run the distances over 200 because I'll have to do that over at the neighbor's.
At first glance, I thought it read "shoot OVER the neighbors"! :bellylaf:

#10 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 04:58 PM

newbe, on 11 Aug 2018 - 5:10 PM, said:

At first glance, I thought it read "shoot OVER the neighbors"! :bellylaf:

:lol:  Oh, hell no! I like those neighbors. They're a big (for around here) family farming operation that own about 5000 acres, and they lease another 8000. They're the people I buy hay from, and I also shoot varmints off their fields (with their blessing).

Edited by Longhair, Aug. 11 2018 - 04:59 PM.

#11 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 05:19 PM

Something doesn't jive.

I shot @ 200yds today, and the numbers don't work out as they should. If I change the speed input to 1090fps they are correct for what I'm experiencing @ 100,150, and 200yds.

Another thing that I ran into @ 200yds, was that it shot 1.2MRAD right of where I had it zeroed. Now it was calm today, and I had a pretty stiff crosswind when I zeroed, so I'm hoping that is all it is. Either tomorrow or Tuesday I'll shoot it on paper back @ 50yds only dialing the elevation back down to where I originally zeroed. Hopefully that will shed a little light on what's happening.

On a more positive note, once I had it dialed right @ 200yds I beat the crap out of that 6" gong. :yesss:

Once I'm sure about what's going on with the windage issue, I'll be stepping back to 250yds.

#12 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 08:00 PM

Same temp each day? Same lot # of ammo?

#13 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 08:57 PM

Same lot, and very similar climate conditions. Just less breeze, which I'm hoping explains the windage variation.

I just bought another Chrony, so I'm going to put them end-to-end and see what each records. Then I'll set one up at the muzzle and one @ 100yds so I can verify speed at distance and calculate BC accurately. I've found conflicting info on CCI Standard Velocity BC, anywhere from .105 to .122 depending on the source.

#14 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 09:19 PM

what changed? I thought you mentioned elevation change.

#15 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 09:54 PM

what changed? I thought you mentioned elevation change.

:dontknow: Hell if I know. Elevation adjustment wasn't what it calculated out to be. It was on @ 100yds with 1.6MRAD dialed in (the difference from 50yds with MV 1136 chronographed), which was correct, but @ 200yds it was .5MRAD lower than it should have been. If I recalculated to a MV of 1090fps it worked out right.

I just ran the numbers on wind drift, and a 5mph 90° crosswind when I zeroed would account for the deviation I saw today when it was calm.

#16 ONLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 09:56 PM

Dumb question here...but did you give the ballistic app the correct height of the sight over the bore?

#17 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:05 PM

Dumb question here...but did you give the ballistic app the correct height of the sight over the bore?

Yes Sir! I measured it as accurately as possible.

I have a hunch that accurate BC numbers will likely make the difference, along with pinpoint re-zeroing.

#18 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:09 PM

The BC of the bullet will drop as velocity drops. Why a change from last time I do not know.

#19 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:21 PM

The BC of the bullet will drop as velocity drops. Why a change from last time I do not know.

I think that I'll just have to start over from scratch when the second Chrony arrives. Re-zero @ 50yds, re-chronograph MV, and chronograph velocity @ 100yds, then re-crunch all the numbers corrected for climate conditions.

These slow moving lightweight pills are a challenge to map out with their rainbow trajectory.

#20 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:22 PM

They're not aerodynamic for sure.

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center