• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:40 PM

They're not aerodynamic for sure.

Just for snicks, when I'm done figuring out this puzzle I'll run some of the same ammo through my 10/22 with the 1:9 twist barrel to see how a faster twist affects it at longer range. It may be slower at the muzzle due to the added resistance, but could remain more stable when it gets out there.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#22 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Aug. 13 2018 - 06:38 AM

Good stuff, LH. 

Not only are you getting get practice with your scope, trigger control, breathing, ballistic programs, etc,

you are doing it for a fraction of the cost of centerfire.

Not to mention the usefulness in being able to regularly plant a .22 LR in some "animal's" ear at

100+  yards, especially if suppressed, is not a skill to be trifled with under expedient circumstances

whether it be for food or another reason. Sometimes discretion is vital. 

I'd be interested to know what a rifle like that does with the .32 grain high velocity rounds .

The trades offs between velocity and wind drift with the lighter bullet, and, as you said,

transitioning from super to subsonic could make for some interesting log entries...

:thumb:

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#23 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 13 2018 - 07:30 AM

I'd be interested to know what a rifle like that does with the .32 grain high velocity rounds .

The trades offs between velocity and wind drift with the lighter bullet, and, as you said,

transitioning from super to subsonic could make for some interesting log entries...

John, in my search for BC values I ran across this article that you might find interesting, as it addresses much of what you're talking about....and more. 

For instance: "The ballistic coefficient takes into consideration the area, length, weight, and streamlining features of the bullet, and is based on empirical testing. It is further dependent on whether the bullet is supersonic or subsonic due to the effect of the acoustic shock wave. That wave is why supersonic .22LR ammo is usually less accurate beyond 50 yards than standard velocity. As the bullet transitions to sub-sonic speed, it passes through its own acoustic wave which upsets its stability slightly."

https://1022companio...2lr-trajectory/

As you can see, there are reasons to stick with sub-velocity ammo and higher BC for the type of shooting that I'm trying to do. I'll likely try some other sub-velocity ammo that may be more consistent, but probably won't shoot any lighter bullets in this pursuit.

• Retcop likes this

#24 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 19 2018 - 10:09 AM

My favorite round is CCI .22LR standard ve!ivory for accuracy in my Ruger 10-22s.

Edited by gshayd, Aug. 19 2018 - 10:10 AM.

• Longhair likes this

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#25 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 19 2018 - 10:45 AM

My favorite round is CCI .22LR standard ve!ivory for accuracy in my Ruger 10-22s.

That has been my experience too. It's the reason I have so much of it.

Second Chrony showed up, so I'm going to start my "redo" (re-zero & re-chronograph), then using the second Chrony I'll run my own BC calculations to have accurate numbers to input for dope to dial in at various ranges. It may take a few days to do it all, but I have the time this next week....I just need the weather to cooperate.

The newer Chrony is an F1, so the first thing I have to do is make up a remote switch that will enable me to retrieve all the info on each shot. My other one is a Beta, which has the FU button on the face. I have the necessary jack to plug in, so I only need to dig out a momentary contact switch and figure out which contacts to jump to be in business.

#26 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Aug. 19 2018 - 05:31 PM

Hit the range hard today!

Re-zeroed and chronographed at the muzzle (3ft as recommended) and @ 100yds.

Re-zeroing wasn't really needed, but it basically confirmed my previous zero.

Chronograph indicated an average speed of 1091 @ the muzzle, and 935.1 @ 100yds. Temp was 82°F, pressure was 938.2mBar, and humidity was 62%, making the BC .120 (exactly what CCI claims).

Last shot of the day @ 100yds on a 3" target.

qeEcrth.jpg

Weather permitting, I'll get back to confirming my dope @ 150, 200, and 250yds in the next few days.

• Flesh Wound likes this

#27 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Aug. 19 2018 - 05:46 PM

Good shooting!

Edited by Flesh Wound, Aug. 19 2018 - 05:48 PM.

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges. I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Stop the Bad People. Help the Good People. Aid the needy people, where possible.

Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

#28 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 19 2018 - 09:38 PM

Excellent!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

Forum Statistics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center