AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

4 position or 3 position holsters - anybody got one ?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 12:11 PM

I'd like to find one for 1911s.

Sportsmans guide used to carry one similar to the one in the link below.

https://www.crafthol...y-positions-p83

There appears to be a weak link in a piece not shown in any pictures. The mechanism that retains the holster at whatever angle is selected is not shown. Reviews have mentioned this allows the holster to angle away from the body when used in any position other than horizontal. While this apparatus results in a very clean "look" the function could suffer.

In searches I've found pictures of other variants that have a variety of slots for mounting on a belt resulting in the desired position. I'd expect this to stay more firmly in place. Unfortunately I can't find a link to a supplier for any of these styles.

Does anyone use a mutli-position holster of any of these types and have a link to a supplier?

And, if you own one, how do you like it?

Thanks.

Signature:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#2 OFFLINE   TomJefferson

TomJefferson

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 01:12 PM

There's so many holsters for 1911s, its going to blow your mind.  Their flat profile also makes them far easier than you would expect to carry. 

#3 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 02:01 PM

Ya, I've seen 1911 holsters available everywhere, but for whatever reason, these multi-position holsters I only find in Yahoo images only tied to "Pinterest" or such that don't take me to websites to by them.

Edited by MnP4me, Aug. 10 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 05:16 PM

I never had one, but I have looked at alot of them. 

It seems like they are not really good at any one thing because they

they are trying to do be able to do everything. 

Most premium holsters are designed to do one thing well.

I have been seeing more that do both IWB and OWB, so the demand must be there, but the position does not change... 

But there are compromises made there too, IMHO.

Take it with a grain of salt, because I am one who carries the same gun in the same holster 90% of the time.

Just giving you some food for thought. 

Except for some situations where I have to have a baby gun just so I can be armed,

my sidearm is in the same place in the same holster designed to do one thing very well. 

The appropriate response to fear is controlled anger. If someone has scared me enough that he or she needs to be shot,

the last thing I want is my brain to have to think of where on my body my sidearm is today.  

Maybe I just am dumber than the average gun owner, but that is how I was trained and it has served me well. 

My suggestion would be to take the time to set the holster up in all the different configurations and see how you like it. 

I still want my heater in the same place, though, but that is a very personal and subjective decision. 

Good luck !    

John

If you pull the trigger, please give us a range report after you have used it a while...

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#5 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 08:19 PM

I found the manufacturer of the holster Sportsmansguide  discontinued. I had to sleuth all day to find it.

http://www.cows.com/modern-sport.html

It doesn't use the questionable mechanism, but rather traditional belt loop slots instead.

Unfortunately their retail website is down. Hopefully they are still in business. I've emailed them to see if they are still available.

Edited by MnP4me, Aug. 10 2018 - 08:19 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 08:32 PM

I found the manufacturer of the holster Sportsmansguide  discontinued. I had to sleuth all day to find it.

http://www.cows.com/modern-sport.html

It doesn't use the questionable mechanism, but rather traditional belt loop slots instead.

Unfortunately their retail website is down. Hopefully they are still in business. I've emailed them to see if they are still available.

Good luck !

#7 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 10 2018 - 10:06 PM

Email came back ... delivery failed, address does not exist. :tap:

#8 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 03:02 PM

I like VersaCarry Holsters   KISS approved and comfortable. 

https://www.versacarry.com/

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#9 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 03:04 PM

Looks like the retail sight is down.....

#10 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 04:51 PM

I've found some other options for multi position holsters. both 2. 3 and 4 positions.

https://www.copsplus...lster-model-803

https://www.copsplus...rd-belt-holster

http://www.vegaholst...lt-holster.html

https://www.sportsma...anded?a=2191589

Mmmmm, looks like sportsmansguide has done it again with it's replacement 4-posiiton from cebeciarms.com :cool:

http://cebeciarms.co...sition-holster/

Looking at the backside of the holster reveals the only drawback, in the belt slot locations. For SOB wear it looks like you might not be able to use the rear belt loop. Still this might not be a biggie.

I'll post a review if I get one. :)

Update: It's on order. :segrin:

Edited by MnP4me, Aug. 11 2018 - 05:39 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 06:14 PM

I like VersaCarry Holsters   KISS approved and comfortable. 

https://www.versacarry.com/

EDIT:   How are their belts, my friend ?  Nice and thick and sturdy ? 

My Sparks are finally getting pretty worn for the Office, and looking for something less expensive.

I trust your judgement.   I may get a belt slide for my Kimber.

Also wanted to ask you how the re-holstering was, as they don't look like the mouth is reinforced,

and I wear the pistol pretty far back, and my middle has gotten larger. 

50 bucks for a holster and belt is a nice price !

Thanks in advance for your more detailed "review". 

John

#12 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 06:29 PM

I've found some other options for multi position holsters. both 2. 3 and 4 positions.

Mmmmm, looks like sportsmansguide has done it again with it's replacement 4-posiiton from cebeciarms.com :cool:

Looking at the backside of the holster reveals the only drawback, in the belt slot locations. For SOB wear it looks like you might not be able to use the rear belt loop. Still this might not be a biggie.

Congratulations !  

I know I am going to sound like a dunce, but there were a couple of holsters from Cebeciarms I was interested in and I hit the "shop now" button.

It takes me to the same page as "more info" with no price and nothing I can see to head towards check out.

What am I doing wrong ? Do you have to hold your mouth just so?   :laugh: 

Driving me nuts !

Thanks,

John

#13 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 11 2018 - 08:38 PM

Congratulations !  

I know I am going to sound like a dunce, but there were a couple of holsters from Cebeciarms I was interested in and I hit the "shop now" button.

It takes me to the same page as "more info" with no price and nothing I can see to head towards check out.

What am I doing wrong ? Do you have to hold your mouth just so?   :laugh: 

Driving me nuts !

Thanks,

John

Nope John, you're not bonkers my friend.

I ordered my holster from Sportsmansguide. In their product details they list the manufacturer, Cebeciarms.

It appears Cebeciarms.com is informational only.

If you click on the Dealership tab on the top of their website it takes you to information for ordering quantities and becoming a dealer (like Sportsmansguide.com).

You might try checking Sportsmanguide for the holster model you like.

Or I can try to locate it for you. I seem to be getting good at this. har, har , har :doh:

#14 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 01:49 AM

Nope John, you're not bonkers my friend.

I ordered my holster from Sportsmansguide. In their product details they list the manufacturer, Cebeciarms.

It appears Cebeciarms.com is informational only.

If you click on the Dealership tab on the top of their website it takes you to information for ordering quantities and becoming a dealer (like Sportsmansguide.com).

You might try checking Sportsmanguide for the holster model you like.

Or I can try to locate it for you. I seem to be getting good at this. har, har , har :doh:

Thanks.

I'll check out Sprtsman.

#15 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 04:37 AM

Cancel your order.....they are JUNK and not good at anything......get a real holster that's properly designed for what you want instead of a one size does nothing.......

SOB carry is STUPID and DANGEROUs....NEVER EVER SOB carry.......

#16 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 04:46 AM

Here I go tilting at windmills and pissing people off.......

Don't....just don't get anything related to versa carry.....it's cheap garbage sold to 1st time gun owners/concealed carry people who do not know better....and then "love it" and never try/buy the expensive quslity, but stick with cheap "comfortable" garbage that can get them killed......

Not all their products are shat, but they love to sell cheap garbage where you stick a rod down your barrel....and when they 1st came out they did not even cover the trigger guard......

And it's freaking ignorant putting a magazine on the holster.....look ma, my holster is on my right side, so is my magazine, when I reload I must take the pistol out of my right hand or cross body fumble to draw the magazine and then fumble freak reloading....it's NOT a revolver......

Nobody that ownes thes lind of holsters takes and wars em and uses em at NRA or any other classes shooting and reloading enough to realize how bad they actually are..........

EDIT:   How are their belts, my friend ?  Nice and thick and sturdy ? 

My Sparks are finally getting pretty worn for the Office, and looking for something less expensive.

I trust your judgement.   I may get a belt slide for my Kimber.

Also wanted to ask you how the re-holstering was, as they don't look like the mouth is reinforced,

and I wear the pistol pretty far back, and my middle has gotten larger. 

50 bucks for a holster and belt is a nice price !

Thanks in advance for your more detailed "review". 

John

#17 OFFLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 07:57 AM

Here I go tilting at windmills and pissing people off.......

Don't....just don't get anything related to versa carry.....it's cheap garbage sold to 1st time gun owners/concealed carry people who do not know better....and then "love it" and never try/buy the expensive quslity, but stick with cheap "comfortable" garbage that can get them killed......

Not all their products are shat, but they love to sell cheap garbage where you stick a rod down your barrel....and when they 1st came out they did not even cover the trigger guard......

And it's freaking ignorant putting a magazine on the holster.....look ma, my holster is on my right side, so is my magazine, when I reload I must take the pistol out of my right hand or cross body fumble to draw the magazine and then fumble freak reloading....it's NOT a revolver......

Nobody that ownes thes lind of holsters takes and wars em and uses em at NRA or any other classes shooting and reloading enough to realize how bad they actually are..........

I'm not big on SOB carry, but some people like it.

I was going to warn about not ever wearing a SOB holster while driving a car, ( or during any impact)  but I figured the OP was aware of that.  that.

Weapon retention is also a large concern with SOB carry, IMO, and weak hand use is another problem, especially for older, rounder, and less flexible geezers like me.

I have been told (but don't know of any actual examples) that wearing an SOB while involved in a traffic crash or any significant impact landing on your pistol greatly increases the odds of breaking your back or rupturing a disc

If you look at post #4, I gave my subjective opinion that multiple use holsters generally excel at little, and suggested buying a dedicated holster for the position desired. I was relieved to see that this versa carry holster simply had another set of belt slots. I have seen a lot worse.

I looked at the company's web page and they had a couple of belt slide holsters with reinforced mouths that looked pretty good, but I could not get the pricing. I had a concern with a couple of them that the holster was not cut down enough around the grip so one could get a full purchase on the grip when drawing. However, it is hard to tell from the photographs, but enough of a concern that I would want to handle one before I bought it, or make sure I bought it from an established vendor with a liberal return policy. I thought the quality looked fairly high, and several of the designs  looked very well done.

The website said the premium steer hide used is vegetable tanned instead of chrome tanned which leaves salts behind, so that is a good thing.  Synthetic instead of cotton thread was used in the good looking stitching another good thing. All of the holsters were hand made, and showed evidence of hand boning, a good thing for secure fit and looks, and not all that common at the price point in the links provided. I could not get find a price on the models with reinforced mouths, and one appeared to only available in a vertical (no) cant, and I much prefer a forward cant, yet another personal preference. 

Holy cow, we even agree on the holster and mag combo units, except that i can see that if someone carried their holster far enough forward, they might not get slowed down much, if their spines work and their bellies are not in the way. I also questioned if one arm was injured...

You talk about tilting at windmills and pissing people off.  Maybe the use of words like stupid, junk, and garbage is what pisses some people off, and actually interferes with getting people to pay attention to some very sound advice, eh ? 

#18 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 09:52 AM

Ive always called a spade a spade....a chainsaw a chainsaw....

Its freaking stupid and very dangerous to shove a plastic/metal rod down your barrel aspart of a holster just like its ignorant to have a exposured trigger 99.9% of the time...

If your such a delicate wall flower that straight up serious words offend you,, well you have issues.....

People are emotional critters, they dont like being told they like/purchased junk, but how do you sugar coat that ca being straight up....

Blow smoke up somebodys skirt to make them feel good, or be honest.....

AIWB carry with mag attached to the holster was made popular by a ex magpul guy who has lots of videos & such and even that has not stood the test of time except with a bunch of die had shooters who refuse to learn no tricks...

You talk about tilting at windmills and pissing people off.  Maybe the use of words like stupid, junk, and garbage is what pisses some people off, and actually interferes with getting people to pay attention to some very sound advice, eh ? 

Edited by Rampy, Aug. 12 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   MnP4me

MnP4me

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 10:52 AM

Alas, it's true. Opinions are like ...

and everybody's got one.

And opinions are good to have too. Good on ya guys. :beerchug:

As far as SOB carry, I'm not a guy that likes to advertise. I'm a fan of concealed carry. I will NEVER carry SOB while driving. My L5 vertebrae has a crushed disc so I couldn't do that. As I mentioned regarding this particular gun, it will be used for hiking and if I decide to conceal something that large SOB might be my only option. And unless I fall on my back, which is a concern, I should be fine. I suspect my preferred option will be a canted carry on my strong side. But I'll have options ... including the nylon vertical holster (also with retention strap) I have now. :cool:

Edited by MnP4me, Aug. 12 2018 - 10:53 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Rampy

Rampy

Banned

Posted Aug. 12 2018 - 11:13 AM

Its not a big gun comparatively speaking........

Im just getting home after spending the night in thr Snowy mountain range stargazing watching a meteor shower....

This is bear/mountain lion country, lots of wild critters this year.....

2 guys had 1911s in leather OWB holsters, 1 guy had a XD IWB, one guy had a 4 44mag in a chest holster....

I had a Glock 19 with RMR, U300A 500lm light and KKM Comp barrel in. Raven OWB holster and nobody knew I was carrying till 1930 & we started at a coffee shop at 1300 and this is not a small package......

Oh and I also had a Bereta 1301 with 4 slugs and 2 OO buck & Nods.....and SureFire 1k luman flashlight......

SOB carry is very dangerous, I know 2 people who have had back surgery for falling on handcuffs worn SOB when fighting with a perp...if you like walking then dont SOB carry...

Ive had 3 fusions and looking at a 4th, once they cut you open its a living hell....and will never get better.....I cant carry my 1911s any more for more than 2-3 hours & still walk the next day....thr G19 is much lighter and better in this.....

3 in one holsters do nothing very good and everything crappy....Ive tried them in the past.

However, Im new at carrying concealed, been doing it professionally for 20 years starting in 1983 & got my 1st civilian CCP in 1985 and have had it ever since except when overseas and it expired....

Ive concealed a Beretta 92 in a suit & in dockers & polo shirt stateside and in several very anti gun countries when nobody knew I had it till it was needed.

With all the excellent holsters in the market today, why go cheap, why spend pennies on a holster thats meh instead of a excellent one thats designed for your needs.

Anybody who puts a $600 dollar gun into a $35 dollar holster is a fool and if you botch about a $100 holster being expensive for your $900 1911 your a freaking idiot.....

But what do I know, Im still learning every day & know very little compared to some friends.

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center