Photo

Need Help with 11.5" Sudden Urge (5.56): Update

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 12:10 PM

Damn! This must stop. Or perhaps a 10.5". CAR-esque but not really. It'll possibly be another lefty Stag Arms upper but there's a greater possibly I'll settle for a PSA / other righty https://palmettostat...5165447558.htmlIt'll likely be mated to a SBA3'd lower https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-sba3-lower-5165448150.html

Keep in mind that this is currently a "thinking out loud" "what the hell has got into me" session.

The top 2 rcvrs are one option. If I go with a flat top, is my "carry handle" rear sight I removed from my 20" Windham gonna be compatible with the PSA short-barreled FSB?

I would really like an upper with the integrated handle. I find only stripped versions. Is installation of the sight a royal pain or no biggie? Speaking of, I've removed and installed plenty of the round and triangular handguards. Some easy and others required no human within eyesight. I shudder now just thinking about dicking with a new delta ring.

Have never messed with a barreled / delta ring -barrel nut assembly. Actually I removed one if ya'll remember my pics with sledge hammer, etc. Can't say I've ever seen one separated from the upper. Assembled Barrel. Any good? https://www.righttob...556023m-fsb.htmThis would take a specific length round hand guard?

Here's a complete (rear sight) A2 upper. Ever heard of these folks? https://www.alscusto...-Complete-50354

Lots of questions / thinking. Wore out.  :D:

As always, appreciate you input and help. Thanks.

Edited by bamashooter, Sep. 20 2018 - 02:02 PM.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#2 OFFLINE   Srgt. Hulka

Srgt. Hulka

Girl Scouts Cookie/Crack Pusher

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 12:22 PM

Damn! This must stop. Or perhaps a 10.5". CAR-esque but not really. It'll possibly be another lefty Stag Arms upper but there's a greater possibly I'll settle for a PSA / other righty https://palmettostat...5165447558.htmlIt'll likely be mated to a SBA3'd lower https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-sba3-lower-5165448150.html

Keep in mind that this is currently a "thinking out loud" "what the hell has got into me" session.

The top 2 rcvrs are one option. If I go with a flat top, is my "carry handle" rear sight I removed from my 20" Windham gonna be compatible with the PSA short-barreled FSB?

I would really like an upper with the integrated handle. I find only stripped versions. Is installation of the sight a royal pain or no biggie? Speaking of, I've removed and installed plenty of the round and triangular handguards. Some easy and others required no human within eyesight. I shudder now just thinking about dicking with a new delta ring.

Have never messed with a barreled / delta ring -barrel nut assembly. Actually I removed one if ya'll remember my pics with sledge hammer, etc. Can't say I've ever seen one separated from the upper. Assembled Barrel. Any good? https://www.righttob...556023m-fsb.htmThis would take a specific length round hand guard?

Here's a complete (rear sight) A2 upper. Ever heard of these folks? https://www.alscusto...-Complete-50354

Lots of questions / thinking. Wore out.  :D:

As always, appreciate you input and help. Thanks.

Calling Dr. Tackleberry.  Dr. Tackleberry, please pick up the white courtesy phone.  

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

Lighten up Francis! "

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin FranklinA"

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

"We need to Kill Them.  We need to Kill them."  

Judge Jeanine Pirro on radical Muslim Terroists.

gallery_25426_262_200.jpg     

Bossiershreveportmudbuglogo.png

#3 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 12:30 PM

:snicker: Tack, help me spend my money! :tiphat:

#4 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 12:54 PM

If I wanted to expedite the process, I have the following:

I can remove my 8.5" lower with the gen 1 Shockwave blade and use it and the bcg / CH from the upper. I do have a CH and new BCG available.

Therefore, I only need the upper, assembled barrel, and whatever length hand guards. I think.

The barrel I linked to indicates it's "carbine" length. My old DPMS round handguards are from my Oracle 16" carbine. Same length handguards? That'd be great.

Need to purchase these:

Upper: https://www.alscusto...-Complete-50354

Assembled Barrel: https://www.righttob...556023m-fsb.htm

Handguards if mine won't work.

Question #2: Seems I recall not all FSBs are equal. How to determine compatibility of the linked to upper and linked to barrel assembly?

#5 OFFLINE   RedDawn

RedDawn

• Group:Members*

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 01:16 PM

First off flat top upper with removable carry handle will go with a front sight gas block marked F. If the front sight block is marked S it’s for fixed handle receivers.
  • bamashooter likes this

#6 OFFLINE   RedDawn

RedDawn

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 01:20 PM

I bought a BA 11.5” 556 barrel on sale for I think $135. They will pin your block for you and that’s much better in my opinion. The reason I went with BA is a sub MOA guarantee on their barrels. Hard to beat that.

#7 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 01:24 PM

I have always read that 11.5 inches is the optimal trade off between velocity and reduced size, muzzle blast, functioning, etc  in the AR platform,

especially now that we can build the pistol with an arm brace. 

I look forward to your posting of your adventure, with a short defensive weapon that will still get the job done at 

300 yards with the right ammo. 

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#8 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 02:21 PM

I bought a BA 11.5” 556 barrel on sale for I think $135. They will pin your block for you and that’s much better in my opinion. The reason I went with BA is a sub MOA guarantee on their barrels. Hard to beat that.

Good to know all. I do know that barrel I posted is an "F" marked fsb. The S/F deal is slowly coming back to my brain. I was think the F was good to go on a fixed w/ a carbine (16") or shorter barrel. Correct me if I'm being delusional.

#9 OFFLINE   RedDawn

RedDawn

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 02:29 PM

Good to know all. I do know that barrel I posted is an "F" marked fsb. The S/F deal is slowly coming back to my brain. I was think the F was good to go on a fixed w/ a carbine (16") or shorter barrel. Correct me if I'm being delusional.

There’s not much difference between them but for the elevation on rear sight to work properly at distance the milspec is .833 at the base for F marked FSB. Here’s a pic

3ca713b10b6367680de979bc6226f42d.jpg

0ab7709cb5d2d3ce8a4a188bf4fb926e.jpg
  • bamashooter likes this

#10 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 03:35 PM

Model 1 Sales offers upper assemblies with A2 uppers. They are available with 10 1/4" and 11.5" barrels.

http://www.model1sal...category_id=340

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Aug. 16 2018 - 04:13 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:
"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

Posted Image

#11 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 04:23 PM

Are you familiar with these folks? This is what I'm after.

A2 upper with rear sight

Round basic handguards

11.5" barrel with compatible FSB

Is my "build" correct? 

iQ8ogvX.jpg

• TackleberryMCS likes this

#12 OFFLINE   RedDawn

RedDawn

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 04:34 PM

A2 upper with rear sight
Round basic handguards

Is my "build" correct? 

iQ8ogvX.jpg

Looks good only thing is I’d recommend a faster twist rate for a shorter barrel 1:7 under for 14.5” and less.
  • Retcop and bamashooter like this

#13 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 04:41 PM

If you mean correct sight alignment, then yes I think that's right. If you want it to look like a XM177, then I think the 10" barrel with a 4" flash hider would be more accurate.

Edit to add: Looks like there were different versions of the XM177 with different barrel / flash hider lengths. So disregard that.

Edited by Blacktree, Aug. 16 2018 - 04:46 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

#14 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 04:51 PM

Nothing against the XM177 (have 2 of the shorty [3.5"] hiders). Just want a 11.5" pistol, preferably on an A2 with FSB. 

• RedDawn likes this

#15 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 05:02 PM

I wasn't sure if you were concerned with historical accuracy, so I threw that comment in there.

Yeah, a little "stubby A2" rifle... I mean pistol... should be pretty fun. :thumb:

For what it's worth, I'm considering something similar. Although I'm thinking maybe an 8" barrel with a silencer, so I might be better off with a pistol caliber.

Edited by Blacktree, Aug. 16 2018 - 05:09 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

#16 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 05:02 PM

Looks good only thing is I’d recommend a faster twist rate for a shorter barrel 1:7 under for 14.5” and less.

Yep, I'd prefer a 1:7. Know nothing about Shaw barrels.

#17 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 05:04 PM

I wasn't sure if you were concerned with historical accuracy, so I threw that comment in there.

For what it's worth, I'm considering something similar. Although I'm thinking maybe an 8" barrel with a silencer, so I might be better off with a pistol caliber.

Don't start. Ha. I appreciate all input.  :)

#18 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 05:15 PM

A2 upper with rear sight

Round basic handguards

Is my "build" correct? 

iQ8ogvX.jpg

Correct.

I am very familiar with M1S. I have bought several things from them over the years. I have even bought a couple upper assemblies. Latest one was a 16" lightweight upper with an A2 upper receiver. M1S has good stuff.

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Aug. 16 2018 - 05:23 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

#19 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 05:58 PM

Thanks Tack and thank you all. Hopefully, Time is on my side and I won't get in a hurry. One more question (lol). If I go with a different set up to include a barrel assembly such as the one I linked to initially, being it's a carbine length gas though only an 11 1/2" barrel, my old DPMS carbine (16" barrel) round handguards are the correct length, correct?

#20 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

Posted Aug. 16 2018 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Tack and thank you all. Hopefully, Time is on my side and I won't get in a hurry. One more question (lol). If I go with a different set up to include a barrel assembly such as the one I linked to initially, being it's a carbine length gas though only an 11 1/2" barrel, my old DPMS carbine (16" barrel) round handguards are the correct length, correct?

As long as the DPMS had a carbine gas system. There is no difference in the length of drop-in handguards on ARs with barrels with carbine-length gas systems and a FSB.

Here is a FYI. Carbine gas systems were first used on 10" barrels followed by 11.5" and 14.5".

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Aug. 16 2018 - 06:12 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

Forum Statistics

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center