Need your input

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   youngod

youngod

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 17 2018 - 02:25 PM

http://www.ambrosean...garms/young.htm

I am almost certain I know the answer to this question but I am going to ask it any way.  The above rifle is very likely from my family in the 1700s.  We are 98% certain of this.  We've done our genealogy research.  I don't know if I can put this as a direct descendant, just a family member.  A few years ago an exhibition came to the TN state museum here in Nashville.  A banker friend of mine invited my wife and I to go on opening night.  It was an early TN history exhibition.  As I rounded one corner I came upon a TN rifle from Jacob Young.  I do know that Jacob is a direct ancestor.  I almost crapped when I saw it.  Long story short I convinced the museum curator to contact the owner to see if he would be willing to sell it......He contacted me.  Yes!  $60K  :unsure: . 

I have been wanting a Brown Bess and really saving my pennies to get one.  Now this comes along.  My question is buy this rifle which is likely family (not 100% sure) or wait and buy the Bess 1st or 2nd model?  I am pretty sure both will increase in price over time, but which one the most?  I would rather have the Bess if this wasn't family.  That small % of doubt is killing me.

Here is info on Jacob http://www.americanh..._1to11_lres.pdf

Signature:
Life Member NRA!

"They drew first blood"
"To Hell with them fellas, buzzard's got to eat, same as the worm."

#2 OFFLINE   wish2no

wish2no

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Aug. 17 2018 - 03:55 PM

If you can afford it without sacrificing other needs or obligations and its something you value as much I say go for it.  If it has family history to you it is worth more to you than anyone else.  As an heirloom to YOU it is priceless.  Is this something your children will cherish as much as you when you are gone or will it be something they sell off at a loss?

• Forsaken352 and Bentwrench like this

Signature:

“You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments: rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws….” ~ John Adams

“All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void.” [Marbury vs. Madison, 5 US (2 Cranch) 137, 174,176 (1803)]

"Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which would abrogate them." [Miranda vs. Arizona, 384 US 436, 491 (1966)]

"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]

"There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights." [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

"Constitutional rights may not be denied simply because of hostility to their assertion and exercise: Vindication of conceded constitutional rights cannot be made dependent upon any theory that it is less expensive to deny them than to afford them."
[Watson vs. City of Memphis, 373 US 526, 535 (1963)]

"The state cannot diminish Rights of the people." [Hurtado vs. California, 110 US 516 (1884)]
“No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.” [16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256]

“A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.”

–  Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

#3 OFFLINE   meh77gmc

meh77gmc

• Group:Bronze Patron

Posted Aug. 17 2018 - 06:34 PM

Wow! That is cool!

#4 OFFLINE   NONEYA

NONEYA

Damn Business

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 17 2018 - 09:16 PM

That is a heck of a piece of history. I do not know the value of such rifles. The price seem high to me. But with the history behind it, it could be worth it. You could search for years and not find another one like that.

Signature:
Isn't that one of the seven signs of the coming apocolypse? Plagues, famine, Noneya buys a gun...

Pepper

#5 ONLINE   youngod

youngod

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 18 2018 - 01:05 PM

If you can afford it without sacrificing other needs or obligations and its something you value as much I say go for it.  If it has family history to you it is worth more to you than anyone else.  As an heirloom to YOU it is priceless.  Is this something your children will cherish as much as you when you are gone or will it be something they sell off at a loss?

Great question 

#6 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 18 2018 - 04:09 PM

If you've got the coin and want to spend it on this, who are we to tell you no?

Just make sure you bring it to the next Armory Appleseed shoot next year so you can show it off! :segrin:

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

Forum Statistics

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center