AR15Armory Announcements

Photo

Range report, Bergara B14 HMR with Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

• Group:G.D. Staff

Posted Aug. 31 2018 - 02:25 PM

gallery_6696_104_871361.jpeg

I wish I had a bunch of great targets to post up, and I can make a ton of excuses why I don't.  Ultimately thought I had a calibration issue with the trigger actuator.  I'd love to blame the ammo, the gun, the glass hell even the neighbor but I don't think any of those were the #1 issue.  I will say this.  I like the gun and I think with the combination of the glass it will be a knockout set up if I can get my shat together and make it happen.  

https://www.bergarau...match_rifle.php

First the rifle.  Its not a GA or a Surgeon but its not a Remmy 700 either.  Somewhere in the middle.  Like STI would be to 1911s.  The bolt runs smooth and the trigger is crisp with very little take up.  The safety is very positive.  The stock is very solid, reminds me a lot of a Manners.  The cheek riser is a great feature an made getting the proper scope alignment a piece of cake.  It does however need some sort of way to quickly reference your setting after moving it to remove the bolt.  The length of pull is adjusted by removing spacer pads under the socks butt pad exactly like the McMillian on my GA.  I need to take at least one out.  I managed to squeeze one MOA sized group out today but again I don't think the issue was the gun or glass.  The gun is guaranteed sub-MOA with match ammo and I don't doubt it.  With some good handholds I think it might be a solid 1/2 moa.  The rifle is compatible AI style mags.  This made it pretty easy as my GA is also so I have several on hand.   This is my first 6.5 Creed and I will say it is a pleasant cartridge to shoot.  Even with heavier 147gr it recoil was light.  The large bolt knob made working the bolt fast and required little effort.  That being said I would have really liked it had it been a 3 lug 60 degree throw like the RPR.  

I landed a deal on the rifle through Sportsmans Warehouse.  I got an email that said $200 off, well when I went to the store they told me it was online only.  I explained that if I ordered it online, they would ship it to the store and oh look right there, you already have one.  The guy went and talked to the manager and he said if I got it today and an accessory for it, they would honor the online price.  Well hell, if I get a rifle I'll need a base and rings anyway.  Done.  On top of that when they rang up my entire order they gave me an additional 5% off for military.  Out the door on the rifle was right around 750 plus tax.

While it is not an ultra light hunting set up, its not nearly heavy as a custom precision rifle either.  For deer hunting and maybe some elk hunting where you are doing more looking than moving it won't be to bad.  I figure it is going to put some venison in the freezer here in a couple of months back home in TN.  

http://www.vortexopt...-2c_moa-reticle

On to the glass.  Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP with the EBR-2C reticle.  I ordered this from MidwayUSA.  Most other places don't even carry it yet and if they do they are backordered, including directly through Vortex.  I caught a special from Midway that included free shipping so WTH right.  

https://www.midwayus...d-reticle-matte

After ordering it, I looked at one of the other Diamondback Tactical scope in a store and wondered if I had made a mistake.  Not I am knowing I made a good choice.  Its not a Razor or S&B but for less than $400 to your door for a FFP with a expanded reticle it is a deal.  The image is sharp and clear through all levels of magnification.  The parallax adjusts from 20 yards out to infinity.  The eye box is very generous and provided for lots of room for error before it would produce "scope eye".  The box included a 3 inch sunshade and bikini stye lens covers.  The lens cover was replaced with the Vortex Defender Flip caps front and back and I added the Vortex 30mm low profile anti cant bubble level.  All together a little more than $400 in the scope setup not including rings.  If you want a Viper HD with the same features you are going to pay about twice that for the glass alone.  

Back to talking about the scope, it is mil on mil.  The exposed turrets are 5 mil per revolution.  They have both a tactile and audable click every 1/10th mil.  I would prefer something with a little more positive engagement on each detent but for the price I am not going to complain.  So what is the difference between these and say the Viper HD.  Well these do not have the illuminated reticle or zero stops.  For my reasons for this setup, I don't really think I need it as I will do the majority of my elevation adjustments simply holding over.  While I might be blasting paper out at a grand, I built this set up for hunting and I doubt I will be taking much more than 200-250 yard shot.  An easy hold over of between 2.5 and 3 mil depending on what exactly the ammo I am running will be.  The low profile bubble level fits very well just forward of the turrets and only sticks out as far as the parallax adjustment knob.

Over all I am pleased with the purchases.  I don't have to fly again until Wednesday so I will get some rest, hydration and an earlier start on a range trip so its not baking me while I am trying to shoot. I think I will be able to get good groups with Horanday 147gr ELD Match and 143gr Precision hunter.  The jury is out on the 140gr "American Gunner".  It was the least cooperative of the 3 today.  

• Flesh Wound likes this

Signature:
Posted Image

DUSTOFF IS “REQUEST PRESENT POSITION DEPARTURE FOR URGENT 9-LINE”

If I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me! -- Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Aug. 31 2018 - 02:47 PM

Nice writeup! Can't wait till you get some rest and give er another try!

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

#3 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

• Group:Members

Posted Aug. 31 2018 - 03:26 PM

Good deal Red! :thumb:

It's too bad that you didn't start right out making bug holes with it, but realistically there is probably only a handful of guys here on the forum that shoot enough to have pulled that off even if all else was perfect out of the box..........and tomorrow's another day.

On the scope....

I've read that taking the turrets off and cleaning the factory grease out of them often makes for a crisper more positive click feel. It might be worth looking into.

And if you want a poor man's zero stop, you can probably get plastic washers to stack up under the turret at the local hardware that will get you close enough that you won't go too far past zero. That way, if you have the turret set to zero and you crank it up for long range, all you have to do is spin it back down to the stop and then bump it back up a few clicks to your known zero.

Anyway, glad that you like it! Looking forward to pics of dead paper after tomorrow's outing.

Signature:

I Will NOT Comply!

"You came here lookin' for a killin'. If you stick around there's going to be some. I don't know any plainer way to put it."

John Payne as Vint Bonner ~ Restless Gun

STx4pQP.gif

Sweat Dries, Blood Clots, And Bones Heal

So Suck It Up Buttercup!

Do you really think you can drop us all?                                                   

You're first, he's next...are you going to care what happens after that?

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"

~Thomas Jefferson~

#4 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 01 2018 - 06:41 AM

I am feeling much better today, well rested.

Pulled the rifle out this morning and cleaned it.  Slipped the turrets, I do think I am pretty close to zero from the outing yesterday.  I also dug out the 3 targets I held on to.  With 147gr ELD-M it was a 3 shot group at .8.  With the American Gunner it was a 5 shot group at around 2.  Not acceptable by any standards.  With precision hunter my first shot was low and the next 2 were right at .4 from each other but about an inch and a half off of number one.  I grabbed one more round to see if maybe I had pulled the first and it was right there on the first round so I am not sure what happened.  2 groups, each about .5 but about an inch and a half apart.  Like I said I am feeling much better today and debating on going back to the range.  Right now it is still dark but the sun will be popping up in about an hour.  For now I am going to see if I can get a SilencerCo break on order.  After all it is a threaded barrel and I do have my can here.

#5 ONLINE   Retcop

Retcop

No Country for Old Men

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Sep. 01 2018 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the write up !

Will be interested to see what happens when she settles down,

or you have the time to to do some reloading. 

A .8 group at 100 yards is to celebrate,

especially for your first outing.  I think things with start to gel

forthwith.

Signature:

The days of going unarmed in America are over

Shoot what you like; like what you shoot.

#6 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 02 2018 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the write up !

Will be interested to see what happens when she settles down,

or you have the time to to do some reloading. 

A .8 group at 100 yards is to celebrate,

especially for your first outing.  I think things with start to gel

forthwith.

I guess thats how tired I was.  In the log book for my GA I keep a ruler.  I didn't have the log book that day otherwise I would've measured it.  I guess I am also a little spoiled from shooting the GA.  getting a .8 during load workup with the GA would not have been a good load to keep.   I still have a feeling the rifle can do better when I'm on top of my game.   Brownell's had the muzzle adapter and its already shipped.  Should be here by the end of the week and I'll go back out and give it another try and hopefully have a better day.

#7 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 02:52 AM

I guess thats how tired I was.  In the log book for my GA I keep a ruler.  I didn't have the log book that day otherwise I would've measured it.  I guess I am also a little spoiled from shooting the GA.  getting a .8 during load workup with the GA would not have been a good load to keep.   I still have a feeling the rifle can do better when I'm on top of my game.   Brownell's had the muzzle adapter and its already shipped.  Should be here by the end of the week and I'll go back out and give it another try and hopefully have a better day.

Looking forward to seeing some new results!

#8 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 09:18 AM

Sweet!

I assume you didnt get a chance to test the scope tracking?

Signature:
If at first you don't succeed, then bomb disposal isn't for you.
Ignorance can be cured by knowledge, Stupid is Forever.
"The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no eyes or ears."
I
"I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit."

"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."

#9 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 03:11 PM

Sweet!

I assume you didnt get a chance to test the scope tracking?

No not yet.  That is something I might do when I get home.  Honestly I did not buy this scope with the intent of dialing anything but zero.  I can hold 10 MILS if needed and that is a hell of a lot farther than I am going to take a shot on an animal anyway.  I am more interested in 500 yard cold bore shot on an area the size of a deer or elks vitals.

#10 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 05:48 PM

No not yet.  That is something I might do when I get home.  Honestly I did not buy this scope with the intent of dialing anything but zero.  I can hold 10 MILS if needed and that is a hell of a lot farther than I am going to take a shot on an animal anyway.  I am more interested in 500 yard cold bore shot on an area the size of a deer or elks vitals.

Ah, very good point. I have a couple friends that use factory gun scopes still. Neither of them are willing to plop down more then $500, even on guns. Im hoping theyll go for this one.

#11 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 06:31 PM

Ah, very good point. I have a couple friends that use factory gun scopes still. Neither of them are willing to plop down more then $500, even on guns. Im hoping theyll go for this one.

I got a buddy I am going to show a hard lesson to when I get home.  His answer is "I'll just hold high with standard crosshairs".  Well I got a steel plate that is about the same size as elk vitals I am going to hang at 500 yards and say "Ok Hold high, you got one shot".  Then hand him my gun and tell him to hold 3 mils high.

#12 OFFLINE   MadeInUSA

MadeInUSA

Posted Sep. 05 2018 - 09:10 PM

I got a buddy I am going to show a hard lesson to when I get home.  His answer is "I'll just hold high with standard crosshairs".  Well I got a steel plate that is about the same size as elk vitals I am going to hang at 500 yards and say "Ok Hold high, you got one shot".  Then hand him my gun and tell him to hold 3 mils high.

Thats pretty much the same song with my buddies. One of them, with a Mossberg Night Train gen 1 got bent out of shape cause his Wolf steel case 308 grouped in feet at 100. Their base line is AE, then look what my A30 can do. Then they expect that out of thier guns.

I even tried offering to shoot match ammo i had if i could throw their upper on my lower with a gen 1 PRS stock and RRA varmint trigger.

My oldest of the 2 friends said he didnt want to risk messing up his upper by doing that. (Insert head exploding emoji)

Needless to say, im about at the end of my rope taking them to the rifle range.

Sorry for the mini rant.

#13 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 12:18 PM

Well made the 2nd outing today.  I was feeling much better.  Overall I am still loving the Vortex scope.  For the money its one of the best deals out there.  The rifle, I think could do better.  While I was able to get several sub MOA groups none were really super impressive.  That being said I still have higher hopes for the gun.  Next week I'll be headed home and I pick up some dies and do some work ups for different loads, maybe with different bullets and see what I can get.  They advertise sub MOA with match ammo and it certainly lives up to the measures center to center.  Prior to this rifle, the last rifle I bought was my daughters TC Dimension and out of the box with cheap optics and hunting ammo it was a 3/4 minute gun, I guess I had hopes of this rifle at least matching that.  

#14 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 06:10 PM

Not knocking your choice, or even questioning your decision, but I'm curious as to what lead you to choose the Bergara out of the myriad of 6.5 Creed's out there?

I'm personally looking at two others, so your insight and input are worth something to me.

#15 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 06:44 PM

Well made the 2nd outing today.  I was feeling much better.  Overall I am still loving the Vortex scope.  For the money its one of the best deals out there.  The rifle, I think could do better.  While I was able to get several sub MOA groups none were really super impressive.  That being said I still have higher hopes for the gun.  Next week I'll be headed home and I pick up some dies and do some work ups for different loads, maybe with different bullets and see what I can get.  They advertise sub MOA with match ammo and it certainly lives up to the measures center to center.  Prior to this rifle, the last rifle I bought was my daughters TC Dimension and out of the box with cheap optics and hunting ammo it was a 3/4 minute gun, I guess I had hopes of this rifle at least matching that.  

Dang bro. Even though that's more than good for most, I know you like more precision than that.

#16 ONLINE   redbarron06

redbarron06

FATALITY!!!

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 07:38 PM

Not knocking your choice, or even questioning your decision, but I'm curious as to what lead you to choose the Bergara out of the myriad of 6.5 Creed's out there?

I'm personally looking at two others, so your insight and input are worth something to me.

I first saw this rifle almost 3 months ago.  I like the looks of a more traditional stock over a chassis, that is kind of personal preference.  I have read good reviews of this rifle in this caliber.  I have a Bergara barrel for my Encore and know a guy with a couple more Bergara barrels for his.  They have all been great barrels.  Oh and I had a coupon for $200 off of the stores price.  So that helped.

Don't get me wrong, I like the rifle.  I think with some home rolled ammo it will probably get 2/3rd to 3/4 on a regular basis.  I am not knocking the rifle but it may just be a matter of the combination of rifle and ammo I am using.   I'll see again when I get home with some once fired brass and home loads worked up.  It is a very sweet shooting rifle but maybe I am just spoiled with the accuracy I have been accustomed to shooting my GA for the past 3 years.

#17 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 08:58 PM

Do you think that having a 22" barrel may be limiting it at all?

The reason I ask is because the ones I'm looking at have 26" barrels, and most other LRR's I see tend to have longer barrels.

#18 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 09:37 PM

Do you think that having a 22" barrel may be limiting it at all?
The reason I ask is because the ones I'm looking at have 26" barrels, and most other LRR's I see tend to have longer barrels.

While it may shorten the distance before going transonic by 100 yds or so, shortening the barrel will more than likely increase the accuracy of the rifle by making it stiffer.

#19 OFFLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 09:38 PM

Red, I'm hopeful rolling your own will find you a couple of decent accuracy nodes. I know this happens quite frequently when compared to factory Ammo.

#20 ONLINE   Longhair

Longhair

Constitutional Patriot

Posted Sep. 11 2018 - 09:42 PM

While it may shorten the distance before going transonic by 100 yds or so, shortening the barrel will more than likely increase the accuracy of the rifle by making it stiffer.

I understand the concepts of warp and harmonics. I'm also lead to believe that a can often improves that issue.

Forum Statistics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center