Photo

FSB / Barrel Nut Question[s]

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

• Group:Gold Patron

Posted Sep. 12 2018 - 07:27 PM

I see some barrels are offered with an installed (pinned type) fsb yet the barrel nut is not installed.

1. I find a little information when purchased this way, the pins are only in a little or perhaps not at all so that the fsb can be easily removed for nut installation followed by "reinstalling" the fsb / pins. True? Internet hearsay, not info with any ad description.

2. If so, the barrel is "notched" in such a manner as to allow a perfect alignment of the fsb / gas block by the owner? No adjustments, no nothing because the pins / fsb, barrel are in perfect harmony from the get go?

Thanks.

Signature:

This is my last build.

#2 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 10:23 AM

I see some barrels are offered with an installed (pinned type) fsb yet the barrel nut is not installed.

1. I find a little information when purchased this way, the pins are only in a little or perhaps not at all so that the fsb can be easily removed for nut installation followed by "reinstalling" the fsb / pins. True? Internet hearsay, not info with any ad description.

2. If so, the barrel is "notched" in such a manner as to allow a perfect alignment of the fsb / gas block by the owner? No adjustments, no nothing because the pins / fsb, barrel are in perfect harmony from the get go?

Thanks.

The barrel gets drilled for the pins so it can only fit one way. I don't have any that are pinned. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but swapping a pinned FSB with another pinned FSB may not be easy as they are drilled for that particular brand of FSB. 

• bamashooter likes this

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

Died, buried, rotted, caved in, back filled, paved over, and forgotten.

#3 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 10:51 AM

The barrel gets drilled for the pins so it can only fit one way. I don't have any that are pinned. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but swapping a pinned FSB with another pinned FSB may not be easy as they are drilled for that particular brand of FSB. 

Good point. That too is my understanding. Very exacting and precise process.

#4 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 03:08 PM

Thanks.

I would question why the barrel nut is not installed on a barrel assembly where the FSB is already pinned. It makes no sense whatsoever. Richard, in the case you are speaking of, yes, the tapered pins can be driven out, the FSB removed, and reinstalled after a barrel nut is installed. IIRC, tapered pins are installed from left to right. Once a FSB is installed and pinned, no other FSB will fit the same as the barrel is match drilled for a particular FSB or gas block.

Signature:
"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector since 2004
Oath Keeper member
III% United Patriots member

Posted Image

#5 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

• Group:Moderator

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 03:24 PM

And pray that FSB was installed correctly. I had a pistol barrel that did not work due to an incorrectly pinned FSB.

Like others have said, that's screwy to have been built without a nut pre-installed. I'd be very careful to check everything. Be sure if you push out the pins you reinstall solidly. 

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I believe in my God. My County. And Myself.

flag.jpg

I do not burn bridges. I just loosen the bolts a bit every day.

Stop the Bad People. Help the Good People. Aid the needy people, where possible.

Good times create weak men. Weak men create bad times. Bad times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

#6 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 03:49 PM

I though it was / is a bit screwy but here's an example. I initially thought it was an inaccurate pic but additional reading elsewhere states this is how it is with this particular manufacturer. Only thing I can figure is they assume the customer might be installing a FF nut, etc. I don't really know. Seems like they'd have a check box for at least installing a mil-spec nut. https://adcofirearms...-5-56mm-car-17/

https://danieldefens...nt-profile.html

#7 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 04:17 PM

I though it was / is a bit screwy but here's an example. I initially thought it was an inaccurate pic but additional reading elsewhere states this is how it is with this particular manufacturer. Only thing I can figure is they assume the customer might be installing a FF nut, etc. I don't really know. Seems like they'd have a check box for at least installing a mil-spec nut. https://adcofirearms...-5-56mm-car-17/

But you still have to remove the FSB to install whatever nut you plan to use... 

#8 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 04:41 PM

I just thought if you purchased a barrel with a pinned fsb, they'd slide on a barrel nut like they evidently do with the BA. https://www.righttob...556023m-fsb.htm

#9 OFFLINE   TackleberryMCS

TackleberryMCS

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 05:05 PM

It looks as though they are using a set screw type FSB, not a pinned model. The same goes for the low profile gas block. You can validate this by contacting DD. A few years back, I ordered a DD 11.5" gov't profile barrel from ADCO Firearms and had Steve install a pinned FSB and a barrel nut on it. These are the guys to do that kind of work. 

Edited by TackleberryMCS, Sep. 13 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• bamashooter likes this

#10 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 06:05 PM

Good catch. I see that now in the "zoomed" look.

#11 OFFLINE   bj139

bj139

• Group:Members*

Posted Sep. 13 2018 - 09:44 PM

On a pinned FSB, to remove the barrel, would you drive out the gas tube roll pin to remove the gas tube so you can turn the barrel nut?

Edited by bj139, Sep. 13 2018 - 09:47 PM.

#12 ONLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 08:48 AM

On a pinned FSB, to remove the barrel, would you drive out the gas tube roll pin to remove the gas tube so you can turn the barrel nut?

Yes

#13 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 11:04 AM

I guess if you have one of those handguards which do not require the barrel nut to be indexed for the tube, the tube can remain attached the the fsb.

#14 ONLINE   gshayd

gshayd

Crazy as a craphouse rat

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 11:36 AM

Unless you use something like this which I have a rifle I put one on. The Troy Charlie 2 pc Free Floater.

https://troyind.com/...cts/charlie-blk

Signature:

NRA 4 Life

As it will be in the future it was at the birth of Man

There are only four things certain since Social Progress began

That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire.

And the burnt Fool's Bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire

"It is amazing that people who think we cannot afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, and medication somehow think that we can afford to pay for doctors, hospitals, medication and a government bureaucracy to administer “universal health care.”  Dr Thomas Sowell

#15 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 11:44 AM

Unless you use something like this which I have a rifle I put one on. The Troy Charlie 2 pc Free Floater.

https://troyind.com/...cts/charlie-blk

Those are cool. But as the OP said there's no barrel nut so you still have to remove the FSB to install the barrel.

#16 ONLINE   bamashooter

bamashooter

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 02:27 PM

Those are cool. But as the OP said there's no barrel nut so you still have to remove the FSB to install the barrel.

The OP? Is that where we are now? That's like a Jane Doe in the morgue. :D:

#17 OFFLINE   Blacktree

Blacktree

Snowflake Repellant

• Group:Members

Posted Sep. 14 2018 - 02:47 PM

Depends on the barrel nut. If you have to "clock" the barrel nut to make clearance for the gas tube, then yes.

That said, even if the barrel nut doesn't require removing the gas tube, I'd do it anyway. I wouldn't want the wrench to slip and damage the gas tube.

• bamashooter likes this

Forum Statistics

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Information Center