Photo

So, Who Is At The Bench Today?

• Please log in to reply
12072 replies to this topic

#12061 OFFLINE   mattd65636

mattd65636

• Group:Silver Patron

Posted Jan. 19 2018 - 10:40 PM

I'm a Redding fanboy now, love the micrometer seater with different seating steams. Love that I can set my neck tension with different bushings on the fl dies.

Signature:

Any information on the above crime, please contact Armory Staff.

"I had this theory. It was based loosely on the unremarkable observation that the old are always looking back with longing while the young, with the same longing, look ahead. One man remembers what the other imagines." -Thomas Lynch The Undertaking: Life Studies From A Dismal Trade

"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again,  this time more intelligently."-Henry Ford

#12062 ONLINE   GLShooter

GLShooter

• Group:Armory Staff

Posted Jan. 19 2018 - 10:40 PM

Those micrometer dies rock. I'm going to order a couple of the micrometer seater stems for my Hornady dies. Especially after the short loading festivities this evening. Seat, heck, screw seater down, seat again, check again, rinse repeat.

I've put those tops on a seater die for each caiber. They sure make change over fast.

Greg

Signature:
The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

#12063 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

• Group:Members

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 07:41 PM

Had my second outing with the 6x6.8 today. It appears this one is going to be difficult to find a good load for. I have had pretty crappy results with 58g vmax w/ 8208, 87g BTHP w/ 8208 and CFE, and 85g Speer btsp w/ 8208. I still have some 87g Berger VLDs to try but I'm thinking either I need to try some other powders, or this barrel isn't a shooter.

#12064 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 07:43 PM

Had my second outing with the 6x6.8 today. It appears this one is going to be difficult to find a good load for. I have had pretty crappy results with 58g vmax w/ 8208, 87g BTHP w/ 8208 and CFE, and 85g Speer btsp w/ 8208. I still have some 87g Berger VLDs to try but I'm thinking either I need to try some other powders, or this barrel isn't a shooter.

That not making me all warm and fuzzy. I have yet to shoot mine. 

Signature:

Flesh Wound

I don't need anger management. I need people to stop pissing me off.

flag.jpg

Peace Is A Dream Only Achieved When Good Men
Are Willing To Commit Great Violence Upon Evil Men.

#12065 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 07:44 PM

I've put those tops on a seater die for each caiber. They sure make change over fast.

Greg

Got the two I ordered today. I like. Will be a big help for dialing OAL in.

#12066 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

• Group:Senior Staff

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 07:46 PM

That not making me all warm and fuzzy. I have yet to shoot mine. 

I don't think yours is the same make.

Signature:

sv3kXof.jpg

In the words of my grandfather...
"Beauty is only skin deep- ugly goes clear to the bone!"
"You can't fix stupid"
"Sometimes fishing is better than catching"
"There is no sense being stupid unless you show it"
"Guns and fishing poles----you can never have enough!"
"When it comes to your wife and buying more guns it is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!"
"If you fly it, float it, or ***k it, RENT it!"

#12067 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 08:01 PM

I don't think yours is the same make.

Yeah mine is not a BHW. Honestly, mine hasn't been horrible, but the best groups so far have only been a hair under an inch with most in the 1.3"-2" range. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to do a lot more tweaking to get a load I feel is acceptable.

#12068 ONLINE   Flesh Wound

Flesh Wound

Yardstick for lunatics.

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 08:07 PM

Yeah mine is not a BHW. Honestly, mine hasn't been horrible, but the best groups so far have only been a hair under an inch with most in the 1.3"-2" range. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to do a lot more tweaking to get a load I feel is acceptable.

Ok thank you for the follow on. Man, I'm sorry you are having issues.

#12069 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 08:18 PM

I am in that boat trying to get some lead free 204's to fly right. I know the barrel will shoot as I have three loads that group under 1/2"....I just can't get two of the lead free pills to play along. I am going to make one more attempt with the two pills and if nothing shakes out of them I am going to start completely over with those two and go back to 200 yards and fire one round at each powder level and work it up and see where the optimal powder range falls then work length from there .....again.   

• JFife likes this

#12070 OFFLINE   midwestpredator

midwestpredator

• Group:Members*

Posted Jan. 21 2018 - 11:48 PM

I have had no luck with 8208 in multiple barrels. I have since moved on to h322 with the 58s. Start 0.020" off the lands and work up from 30.0gr to 31.5 or so.

It seems like the accuracy nodes show up at about 30.7gr and 31.5gr give or take a tenth or 2.

#12071 OFFLINE   JFife

JFife

Posted Yesterday, 01:15 PM

I have had no luck with 8208 in multiple barrels. I have since moved on to h322 with the 58s. Start 0.020" off the lands and work up from 30.0gr to 31.5 or so.

It seems like the accuracy nodes show up at about 30.7gr and 31.5gr give or take a tenth or 2.

Thanks for the info, I'll go pick up some h322 and work up some ladders.

#12072 OFFLINE   towtruck

towtruck

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 PM

Today I am loading up three lead free pills again for the new barrel. I have two confirmation loads on the 26g BVG's. I am getting two really good groups out of two different powder charges on the low end so I will pick between the two after they are shot again. I made a large ladder for the middle of the powder charges for the 32g Nosler ballistic tips that won't fly at the lower or higher end of the scale. And I am starting over with the 24g Hornady NTX. A whole new complete ladder for that one in what I believe is the optimum length for this barrel. 

I really need the 24's to find a node and I can only hope I find one for the 32's. I have 1500 of the 32's so I need to find a node so I can use them up. I may never buy them again as they are hard to get in blems and way to pricey to buy outright. The 26's and 24's are going to be my main sage rat splatter ammo after this last year we can run lead. 

I have 20 more cases to load up out of the 80 I have mapped out for this run. I ran short on prepped cases for my testing so I am cleaning up what I need.  Sage rat season is fast approaching and this barrel may have to take a back seat on development until after the season. 

#12073 ONLINE   newbe

newbe

Black Widow Hater

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Today I am loading up three lead free pills again for the new barrel. I have two confirmation loads on the 26g BVG's. I am getting two really good groups out of two different powder charges on the low end so I will pick between the two after they are shot again. I made a large ladder for the middle of the powder charges for the 32g Nosler ballistic tips that won't fly at the lower or higher end of the scale. And I am starting over with the 24g Hornady NTX. A whole new complete ladder for that one in what I believe is the optimum length for this barrel. 

I really need the 24's to find a node and I can only hope I find one for the 32's. I have 1500 of the 32's so I need to find a node so I can use them up. I may never buy them again as they are hard to get in blems and way to pricey to buy outright. The 26's and 24's are going to be my main sage rat splatter ammo after this last year we can run lead. 

I have 20 more cases to load up out of the 80 I have mapped out for this run. I ran short on prepped cases for my testing so I am cleaning up what I need.  Sage rat season is fast approaching and this barrel may have to take a back seat on development until after the season. 

Hope you get something worked out. Cali really screwed everyone on this.

Signature:
Purpose should drive the Purchase......
The "one shot group". A way to save time, money and barrel life!

Forum Statistics

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (12)
Information Center