adampolo13

First AR in CA

Good evening everybody,

So I've decided to stand up for my 2nd amendment rights now (before they take it away completely) and get a few guns. My wife is looking at some hand guns... Glocks I think... But I'm going to be purchasing an AR! Very excited! We are going to the range next weekend to fire a few weapons and get a feel for how they handle then its shopping time. I'm not in too much of a rush, I'd like to have a good idea of what to get in the next 5-6 weeks or so. I'm pretty sure I'm educated on the laws, 10rd fixed mag etc. so my questions to you much wiser people are...

Do I purchase a complete weapon or do I attempt to assemble myself? I've never assembled a weapon before so I'm a little apprehensive but a lot of people I've talked to really suggested it. I really wanted to get a few more opinions.

Also, if I am to buy a complete weapon are their any manufactures to stay away from? I don't want to go out and spend $700 bucks cuz the price tag looks great only to find out I have a piece of crap.

Anyways, any advice would be welcomed!!!! I look forward to joining the ranks of gun ownership here in sunny CA.

:welcome:

I would suggest to build a lower yourself, its pretty simple. Then I would look into buying a complete upper since it is your first AR. Just do a lot of research before you buy.

• Like 1

Thanks much soleeagle!!! A lot of people have said different things amount the idea. I was wondering what the real advantage of building it out myself is?

thanks again!

Thanks much soleeagle!!! A lot of people have said different things amount the idea. I was wondering what the real advantage of building it out myself is?

thanks again!

Welcome to The Armory! :)

I bought my first a few years before I came across this website. For my second, I decided to build. The main advantages (for me) are that I got a very thorough understanding of how all the bits and pieces work together, and I got to pick all the parts I wanted from the start, without having to buy something, then start changing everything out on it.

Building the lower is pretty simple, and only some special punches needed, and a castle nut wrench. The upper is a bit more involved, tool-wise, so a lot of people build their lower and then buy a complete upper for it.

But, whichever route you choose to go, the sky's the limit as far as configurations / options.

Ask plenty of questions and do a lot of research to decided what you want.

And mostly, remember to have fun!

Thanks KZero!!! I ended up buying my first AR today. Went in to a local gun shop just to check 'em out. The guy who owns the store turned out to be very very helpful. So helpful that I decided to make the purchase. Its a Windham Weaponry SRC. :nt: 9 More days to go, I actually took the afternoon off from work so I can go pick it up and play... Well not exactly play... But just bask in the glory of my 2nd amendment right!!!! :flea:

Thanks KZero!!! I ended up buying my first AR today. Went in to a local gun shop just to check 'em out. The guy who owns the store turned out to be very very helpful. So helpful that I decided to make the purchase. Its a Windham Weaponry SRC. :nt: 9 More days to go, I actually took the afternoon off from work so I can go pick it up and play... Well not exactly play... But just bask in the glory of my 2nd amendment right!!!! :flea:

:thumb: :thumb: Congratulations!!! Your rifle from Windham Weaponry was made from former employees of Bushmaster. You are getting a rifle made by people who know their stuff. Come on over to the Beginner's forum and brag about your new purchase. :thumb: By the way, once that black rifle gets paroled to you, you need to post pictures. what size of barrel did you get?, what gas length system? Get yourself a cleaning kit, good mags and plenty of ammo. I would read your warranty to see if shooting steel cased ammo will void your warranty. Do you know your rifle twist rate?

and........ :beerchug: :welcome: to The Armory!

Excellent choice :thumb:

Welcome :scotto:

Thanks everybody,

Her she is:

AR15.jpg

She came with a 16 inch 1/9 chrome lined barrel chambered in 5.56. I added a Magpul B.A.D lever, a few magpul 20 round mags (restricted to 10 rounds of course) a MOE handguard with a Railed Vertical Grip. She has an el-cheapo BSA Red Dot scope for now. I also have a set of magpul MBUS sights but I've been advised not to use them. Although my gas block is railed at the same height as my receiver I was told the sight would melt... Although the range gun I fired had them installed with no issues after a few hundred rounds...

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome!

:welcome: to the Armory .... :)

Congrats on Your new Windham AR ... :thumb: :oh yea:

Congrats! Wouldn't hurt to have a stripped lower reciever or two on hand as well [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, build your own lower and buy and upper....

if you haven't already check out calguns.net... you should... us californians gotta help one another out. Lots of discussions on how and what to do to stay legal, protect our rights, and alot of good info/resources.