Do you shoot with both eyes open or one eye closed?

I prefer to shoot with both eyes open. It provides me a better field of view, and I like the occluded sight effect (like a HUD). And I know it may sound weird, but my balance is better when moving with the rifle in firing position when I keep both eyes open.

Which way do you prefer and why?

I shoot with both eyes open as well. Just always made sense to me. No real reason.

I keep both eyes open, especially open sights on a handgun but also when using holographic and reflex sights on my rifles and shotguns...originally I shot with one eye closed and did for years until someone pointed out I should try both eyes open and I have learned and developed the technique and haven't looked back...with one eye or two :laugh: It just works better for me now, I can't explain why.

I try to shoot with both open. Sometimes I catch myself closing one but I correct its immediately.

RDS are designed to be used with both eyes open. Plus, there are many other benefits to having both eyes open. I strongly suggest shooters learn to shoot with both eyes open if they are not already.

I am trying to learn to shoot both eyes open. If I am shooting leftie no problem but right I just can not get the grasp

Both eyes open. It helps me avoid tunnel vision, and allows me to remain aware of my surroundings. Additional threats may be just outside of the FOV of the sight, and I don't want that to be the only thing I'm seeing.

I am trying to learn to shoot both eyes open. If I am shooting leftie no problem but right I just can not get the grasp

Sounds like you are left eye dominant. My advice is to continue to shoot long guns left handed. You will see better results over the long haul.

Both eyes open, but then again I'm blind in 1 eye.........soooo I guess 1 eye closed???

Both eyes open. It helps me avoid tunnel vision, and allows me to remain aware of my surroundings. Additional threats may be just outside of the FOV of the sight, and I don't want that to be the only thing I'm seeing.

That would be my whole reason for wanting a wider field of vision.

Both eyes open but I did use one of those nerdy, flip down eye patch looking devices when I shot competition bull............helped with focusing and "decreased eye strain".........though, maybe it was just because all the top shooters seemed to use 'em too :laugh:

Both eyes open

It helps me avoid tunnel vision, and allows me to remain aware of my surroundings. Additional threats may be just outside of the FOV of the sight, and I don't want that to be the only thing I'm seeing.

YEP!!

Depends on if I'm shooting silhouettes or bulls eyes. If I'm thinking tactical, and a four inch group at 100 yards, I leave both eyes open. If I'm trying for the x ring I use the center dot on the eotech with one eye closed, just like a regular scope. Its just force of habit. A bad habit I realize. Do those of you you who have trained yourselves out of it notice any difference when we're talking precision shooting vs tactical, good enough shooting (talking about on an AR here)?

Depends on if I'm shooting silhouettes or bulls eyes. If I'm thinking tactical, and a four inch group at 100 yards, I leave both eyes open. If I'm trying for the x ring I use the center dot on the eotech with one eye closed, just like a regular scope. Its just force of habit. A bad habit I realize. Do those of you you who have trained yourselves out of it notice any difference when we're talking precision shooting vs tactical, good enough shooting (talking about on an AR here)?

Same here.

If I'm really trying to knock the X out, I close my left eye and take my time between shots. With both eyes open, I can hit very well also, but not as accurately. Probably because I tend to shoot faster with both eyes open.

With my handgun, it's the same. Out to 7-10 yards, I can keep both eyes open and hit center mass fairly well, with the occasional flyer. If I go to 25, I shut 1 eye and concentrate a bit more.

With an RDS, I keep both eyes open regardless, at least on my AR's. i have noticed no difference in accuracy. On a scoped rifle, I close my left eye though. I have heard some people say to keep both open even with a scope, but I tried that once and ended up with a headache that didn't go away for hours.