UMDCornholio

Where does your brass land?

I've been feeding my Witness Elite Match 10mm with HPR 180gr FMJ. The recoil spring is a newish 22lbs Wolff. I also recently added the Wolff XP extractor spring. Lately, my brass has been landing all over the place. Some will fly about 45degrees back and about 10+ yards away. Some lands almost directly to my side and about 5yards away. Anyone else notice the same and have an explanation? I would have thought a 22lbs spring would slow the slide enough to keep from flinging the brass so far, considering the factory spring is something like 14lbs. To contrast, I've upgraded my XD40 to a 19lbs spring and the brass lands right next to me.

Sometimes when I am gathering up the empties to reload them, I swear they DON'T land and got sent into low Earth orbit!

I too have a witness match and thought the same thing. Posted this on 10mmfirearms and was told by a member that a stronger r/c spring would not solve the problem. I believe he said grinding the extractor to a certain angle would solve this problem. I built a free standing brass catcher that I can tilt so that the top edge over the ejection port and I catch all my brass.

Suggest that you stop by 10mmfirearms and raise this question.

I have aPara Elite Hunter and a new Colt Delta Elite and the brass lands in a different zipcode

I finally ran some Underwood through my Witness. It was noticeably hotter than any other 10mm ammo I've used (obviously) but the brass still landed around the same distance. I'm beginning to think Jim is right, and it has more to do with the extractor than the recoil spring. Oh well, just gonna have to get used to the idea of searching high and low for my spent brass.

Like I said prior, sometimes I swear they don't. I think they are getting launched in low Earth orbit. If you see a falling star tonight. I may have been at the range.

Edited by gandog56

I like it when a female shooter has a v neck on and hot brass falls in and they start to jump around

Yeah, but that can happen with ANY auto-loading pistol.

I like it when a female shooter has a v neck on and hot brass falls in and they start to jump around

There ya go

I like it when they ask me to reach in there and get it out! :snicker: