Sign in to follow this  
CocknRock

What Have I Got?

Hey, first I must say I am happy to find an AR15 forum that I can join......AR15.com has rejected me twice in a row. You don't need to tell more than twice I am not politically correct or whatever ....so I am not going to ask to be humiliated a third time. It's a mystery to me what their problem is, I gave them a user name and my Email address and they keep telling me, "cannot validate name"....WTF?

So, on to more important stuff. My first post yesterday concerned the trouble I was having removing the buffer tube from my elderly Bushmaster. Thanks to Hans I got it off....pure sensuous joy, as a couple others with dirty minds pointed out. Now I want to obtain a collapsible type buffer tube and stock but haven't been able to figure out what the heck I have in my lower receiver......mil-spec or commercial threads? The rifle style tube I removed measures less than mil-spec, 1.1145. Mil-spec is 1.15-1.17, give or take. Commercial is bigger than mil-spec, of course. So, WTF? The Bushmaster Web site FAQ says their tubes are commercial but of course that's for collapsible types and they don't say what my 20 plus year old receiver specs are with it's non-collapsible tube. So, again, I need opinions on what to gamble my $$$ on, mil-spec or commercial?

Thanks,

VR

Escondido, CA

The threads will be the same. The difference between milspec and commercial tubes is their diameter where the stock slides over the tube.

Edited by Flesh Wound

The threads will be the same. The difference between milspec and commercial tubes is their diameter where the stock slides over the tube.

Bless you, I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks!

Have you ordered a mil-spec buffer tube assembly yet? If not, I would highly suggest the one from Brownell's. The price is amazing for the quality.

Have you ordered a mil-spec buffer tube assembly yet? If not, I would highly suggest the one from Brownell's. The price is amazing for the quality.

No, but I do order stuff from Brownell's. Which reminds me of a little nit I'd like to pick with them. Yesterday, after a two week wait, I finally received a stripped AR15 upper, made by Aero Precision. It took two weeks....14 days.....for an in stock item at Brownell's to travel less than 2000 miles. The holiday season hasn't slowed down anyone else. Good grief, hate to whine, but I order stuff online all the time and Brownell's is by far the slowest at shipping.....far slower than Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt or anyone on eBay.com. WTF? I guess I'd rather pay for their mule train service than pay others for outrageous shipping charges......like what Cheaper Than Dirt is famous for. Midway has been by far the best by my experience when it comes to shipping speed and cost. Another thing that bugs me about all of these companies is the continual, "out of stock" situation. Okay, rant over. I should put "patience" on my New Year resolution list, :)

Anyway, I ordered a mil-spec buffer tube, spring, castle nut and plate made by AR Stoner($39.95) from Midway.....but, of course, it is on backorder.....damn it. I've seen the same parts go for well over $150-200.00. I don't get it. Will my AR15 blow up using AR Stoner? Didn't Stoner/Colt invent the AR15 and still make good parts?

PS What does Brownell's charge for these parts? I am sure I looked but can't remember. Seems I recall just for a tube alone they charged over $65 bucks for some of their items. I'm cheap.

Edited by CocknRock

No, but I do order stuff from Brownell's. Which reminds me of a little nit I'd like to pick with them. Yesterday, after a two week wait, I finally received a stripped AR15 upper, made by Aero Precision. It took two weeks....14 days.....for an in stock item at Brownell's to travel less than 2000 miles. The holiday season hasn't slowed down anyone else. Good grief, hate to whine, but I order stuff online all the time and Brownell's is by far the slowest at shipping.....far slower than Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt or anyone on eBay.com. WTF? I guess I'd rather pay for their mule train service than pay others for outrageous shipping charges......like what Cheaper Than Dirt is famous for. Midway has been by far the best by my experience when it comes to shipping speed and cost. Another thing that bugs me about all of these companies is the continual, "out of stock" situation. Okay, rant over. I should put "patience" on my New Year resolution list, :)

Anyway, I ordered a mil-spec buffer tube, spring, castle nut and plate made by AR Stoner($39.95) from Midway.....but, of course, it is on backorder.....damn it. I've seen the same parts go for well over $150-200.00. I don't get it. Will my AR15 blow up using AR Stoner? Didn't Stoner/Colt invent the AR15 and still make good parts?

I would certainly never under any circumstances pay 150 bucks for a mil-spec buffer tube assembly, unless it came with a hydraulic buffer, and I even went in for that sort of thing, which I don't.

Yes, my major beef with Brownell's is very slow shipping, and Midway has chronic stocking issues. I honestly don't know about AR Stoner. I've never used anything from them. Of all the budget parts I've used, though, Brownell's is by far the best. I've used companies like Anderson, ATI, DPMS, DTI, etc., and they just don't quite go together like quality parts. But the stuff from Brownell's in terms of fit rivals Colt, Spikes, etc.

By the way, I paid $59.00 for the Aero Precision upper from Brownell's plus 5 or 6 bucks shipping. It's forged aluminum, perfect in every respect as far as I can tell, plus the American flag is lasered onto the top flat rail, so I can't complain. I just went to Brownell's.com and this same upper is now $85.00. I guess timing is everything, as they say.

Take Care,

VR

By the way, I paid $59.00 for the Aero Precision upper from Brownell's plus 5 or 6 bucks shipping. It's forged aluminum, perfect in every respect as far as I can tell, plus the American flag is lasered onto the top flat rail, so I can't complain. I just went to Brownell's.com and this same upper is now $85.00. I guess timing is everything, as they say.

Take Care,

VR

Now go look at the same thing on CTD and you will see why they are not even mentioned on this site. Most of us refuse to shop with those who take advantage of their customers when times are tough. $100 pmags sealed the deal.

I highley recomend pof anti-tilt buffer tubes if you do it again. I really like the additional suport for the buffer detent

Now go look at the same thing on CTD and you will see why they are not even mentioned on this site. Most of us refuse to shop with those who take advantage of their customers when times are tough. $100 pmags sealed the deal.

Brownell's was selling pmags for a hundred bucks? I didn't know that. I was having some health issues at that time and was pretty much out of the whole loop on that thing. I knew it was going on, but I didn't really pay any attention to who was doing what.

Brownell's was selling pmags for a hundred bucks? I didn't know that. I was having some health issues at that time and was pretty much out of the whole loop on that thing. I knew it was going on, but I didn't really pay any attention to who was doing what.

I believe it was CTD and not Brownell's

I believe it was CTD and not Brownell's

Oh, you mean cheaper than dirt. Sorry, I thought ctd was some internet acronym with which I was not yet familiar, which is usually the case! You know, those folks send me two or three catalogs a month, despite the fact that I don't think I've ever bought anything from them, at least not in a good fifteen years or more. You think they would take a hint at some point. They would certainly come in handy, though, if I ever find myself needing a surplus WWII air raid siren and some gas masks. :bellylaf:

Okay, I give up, what the heck is a PMAG?

Okay, I Googled, of course, Magpul. Which gives me another nit to pick! I have several Pmags which refuse to work in my AR's. I have a bunch of 20 and 30 rd metal mags none of which have ever failed. Now that they are illegal to use in California I have several 10 rd Pmags to use at the range.....but they don't work! I've had to buy several very cheap 10 rounder metal mags and they work fine.

I've contacted Magpul and they have virtually no comment even after I've sent pictures of the mags and told them where I think the problem is......the back rib, as I recall. Sheesh, more $$$ flushed down the drain, however I have their handguards, stocks, grips, bad levers, etc., and they are great....but man, their 10 round Pmags really suck in my guns.

Edited by CocknRock