CocknRock

M-Lok, Polymer or Metal?

I'm putting new Magpul MOE SL handquards on two AR15's and need to get a few M-Lok rails to hang a couple accessories like sling rings and foregrips. I want the 5 slot size. Aluminum is $19.95 ea. and polymer is $9.95 ea. I'm guessing the polymer will eventually wear and accessories may start to wobble on the rails but I don't know. Opinions are welcome. I'd certainly prefer to spend 50% less $$$ for the polymer if there's a good chance they will hold up to the light range duty they'd get from me a few times a year.

Thanks.

If you're going to hang anything off it, Metal all the way. especially a sling.

I put a vertical grip on a plastic handguard one time and it would move and twist around pretty bad. It didn't stay that way long. with a sling I would be afraid the weight would break the plastic out and the rifle would hit the ground.

I put a vertical grip on a plastic handguard one time and it would move and twist around pretty bad. It didn't stay that way long. with a sling I would be afraid the weight would break the plastic out and the rifle would hit the ground.

Yep, that would be my fear. I would gladly use polymer for a light or laser, but never for a sling.

Wow, Chiefs just returned opening kickoff with 105 yard run to the end zone......yippee! Anyway, I just ordered two M-Lok rails via Amazon.com. Normally $24.00 each for 9 slot, got them for $39.00 including tax and free shipping. Originally was thinking 5 slot, maybe 3 slot but finally figured out the 9 slot would give me the capacity and adjustment range I may need especially if I need to do both a sling and vertical grip on the rail. One of the Magpul handguards is mid-length and the other is carbine length. The material looks pretty beefy so I hope installing metal rails won't stress them out.

Wow, Chiefs just returned opening kickoff with 105 yard run to the end zone......yippee! Anyway, I just ordered two M-Lok rails via Amazon.com. Normally $24.00 each for 9 slot, got them for $39.00 including tax and free shipping. Originally was thinking 5 slot, maybe 3 slot but finally figured out the 9 slot would give me the capacity and adjustment range I may need especially if I need to do both a sling and vertical grip on the rail. One of the Magpul handguards is mid-length and the other is carbine length. The material looks pretty beefy so I hope installing metal rails won't stress them out.

They designed Mlok specifically for polymer handguards, and it's been around for a long time. I've never heard of it ever being a problem, and they've got millions of MOE handguards out in the wild right now. I feel pretty good about everything magpul makes.