smb5769

What constitutes proper cheek weld?

I've never really paid attention to cheek weld, I've always just stuck my nose to the charging handle and then lined my sights up. I know according to proper fundamentals cheek weld keeps coming up. So I tried several different times to put my rifle up to my cheek and it just seems like in order for my eye to line up with my peep I have to have my cheek just a little higher off my stock, or the bottom tip of my stock sits near my collarbone and not in the pocket, so I was wondering what exactly constitutes good cheek weld for different people? I really think I need to stick with butt in pocket and rotate up to meet my face with nose on handle, then line sights up and not worry about where my cheek is.

Each person and each rifle is going to be differnt, it can even differ with identical rifles based on optics. Check weld does not do anything to support the rifle but what it does do is provide for a constant, repeatable placement of the eye inline with the sights so they are aquired quickly. For precision you are looking for something that will be comfratable and repeatable. For more run and gun it must be fast and repeatable. It may also change depending on optics height. When I had a Vortex on my AR I had to use a cheek riser to get that comfy weld with repeatable scope alignment because of the scope height but with a red dot I go much lower and faster.

So basically more or less I've got the right idea by doing what I've been doing with nose to CH, and I just need to remember to be consistent with whichever setup I ever happen to use. I know a hunting rifle is totally different and I can rest my actual cheekbone on the stock usually, but with the AR it falls around where my teeth meet.

It's not as critical w a "combat optic" such as a red dot, or with the open peep sight (the large ring) as it with a magnified optic or the fine peep, but yes as long as you're referencing the rifle in the same area to get proper sight alignment yer pretty much good to go.

ETA one thing that is real simple to do is to find that sweet spot where you are comfortably aligned n have another person place place a piece of tape on the stock so it touches your cheek, what you'll notice w this is that it will change ever so slightly from one shooting position to another but is a very good starting reference point every time you mount the gun.

Edited by Warlike

Everyone will have a different cheek weld. Heck I don't even put my nose to the charging handle unless shooting distance prone. Runnin' and gunnin' I am usually about 2 clicks back on the receiver extension with a Bcm Gunfighter stock, pulling the bottom 3rd portion of the stock into my upper pectoral with a bladed stance, my cheek sits, well where my best line of sight is through my optic, just keep it firmly placed to the stock pull the weapon into your body as you lean to it with non-dominant hand (unless shooting support side) and the way I grip my pistol grip is finger off the trigger until I am ready to shoot obviously and the bottom 3 fingers squeezing and pulling into toward my body thumb wrapped around.