prof_fate

NOOB 3 Gun shooter..needs advice

Working towards shooting 3 gun.

Got the pistol covered (XDm 5.25 9mm, holster, mags, mag holders).

Got the AR, DPMS oracle, a few tweaks.

At a dinner last night I won a Stoeger P3000 12g pump. Ideal for 3G? No, but it will work and it was free (OK, $5 ticket, but the dinner was free)

-what I don't know is what else I need, should have, is nice to have, is a waste of time.

I won't be fast to start, never shot a 3G or even seen one shot.

I'll have iron sights on the AR, in 223 - so no 'heavy metal' category.

How many and what size AR mags?
How best to carry the spare mags? - I have nothing at this point. I do have a 'double velcro' belt.

Shotgun..should I bring a variety of different loads? Slugs?
Long term I think I have an idea for what I want to carry shells, but need something 'now' that won't break the bank. I believe I have an old fanny pack someplace, a 6 shell holder for a belt from cowboy shooting.

Slings? yes, no?
What clothing? (shoes? Hat?) Obviously hearing protection and glasses.

gun cart?
How much ammo is typical?

the club/match website lists jack squat for info, I emailed but haven't heard back.

I'd like to go and shoot, no matter how badly equipped, rather than just go and watch. It's an hour away and they don't do a lot of these locally.

Go watch an event and pay attention to what people are using. See what works and what does not. The events in your area may be advanced, or better yet beginner level shooters. Go see what your up against.

Oh My!! LOL

Greg

I use 20 round mags because they are more maneuverable. I carry three on my belt. I have some metal clip on holders that I do not recall the name of. Dillon carries some IIRC. Handgun is a MINIMUM of 28 rounds on my belt with a single stack and on my big guns I carry around 40. I want at least three magazines on me. Shotgun is a side saddle two shot and a webbed five shot on the stock with a minimum of ten rounds on my person up to depending on how I have to kit out for the stage. Dillon carries the shell holders for them. Lots of stuff can be removed stage to stage so you don't feel like a pack mule all day long.

Here is a pic of me at a 3Gun stage at the AZ Police Games. I ma shooting a 6X45 running a 4.5X14 and a Tasco PDP out on the hand guard. Rugged good looks are optional:

N07Z6wx.jpg

My shotgun rig that I use. It has custom Briley chokes and the speed loaders are used in full blown open class with the dot removed for non-optic matches.

0SE2qOA.jpg

My Para 9X21 race gun with lots of nuances in the construction.

9PE7fJG.jpg

My Stock pistol that's not so stock used in Limited and Heavy Metal:

FspLvfs.jpg

My Heavy Metal shotgun with a few subtle customizations:

HCMnkDp.jpg

I use an M1A for Heavy Metal.

I am not addicted.

Greg

• Like 1

A lot of what you will need will depend on what type of course your local club(s) like to set up. Around here they dont do a lot of shotgun reloads so most guys will run shotguns with no pugs. For those that have plugs there normally are only 7-8 shotgun targets on a stage.

Ammo selection will be again at the clubs mercy. You may have to go slugs on close paper and shot on steel farther out. You many have to go from one load to another in the stage.

How you outfit our gun(s) are also going to determine how much of a disadvantage you are with a pump. If every thing else you are running has optics and brakes and this and that you might get yourself into an unlimited class where not haveing one that looks like the pros will set you back. Keeping everyone stock and irons will help to keep you in the running.

I use this for my reloads and it also doubles duty during dove season. You can get them in 4 or 6 round capacity but my hands just dont work well for the larger ones.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/safariland-12-gauge-shell-holder-for-belt-tkmbu.html?_iv_code=DS-AM-085-12-23&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyfaqx5Hn1QIVFbXACh1P8ADyEAQYDSABEgLhAPD_BwE

where could I find info carbine training courses around the Yakima area ?

Newbe might chime in on classes. I see I have some photos to restore.

Greg

Check on your local and state gun forums. Just remimber training is just that. Every class you can take should have something you can learn from. Some will be more "3 gun" others will more than likley be defense centered. Many things carry from one to the other but not everything. The best type of class I would reccomend is one based around fire arms manipulation. Reloads, clearing jams and in the case of pistols proper draw and engagement techniques may not put you at the top of the national 3 gun podium but it wil go a long way learning the weapon, its capabilities and how you can employ it be it a game or real life. The guys at the top of the game dont make money on how fast they shoot, they make it on how fast they hit and reload/transition.

Caylen from Magpul teaches in Yakima or at least he used to. Took his designated marksman/SPR class a few years ago.

If you're willing to drive, we have several trainers in our area (Portland), Northern Red, Red Frog, and several others.

For the original question, I use belt mounted magazine holders for my AR. 30 and 40 round mags are pretty standard. I'd have 2-3 holders and as many or more magazines. Muzzle breaks help tremendously.

For the pistol, I use 5 magazines, and 4 magazine holders.

Your shotgun is going to hold you back to be honest, but you can still compete, become proficient with it, and have fun. Buckshot, slugs and birdshot are often used for shotgun in a three gun match.

For the AR, I recommend a 1-4X scope. I used a red dot for a few years, and it's fast up close, but a lot slower at 200+ meters depending on the size of the dot and the target.