Shadow106

I'm heading to California to visit. Suggestions?

I have a friend in California who is terminal and has no family or close friends where he's at, so on Monday, I'm leaving Idaho to be there for whatever I can do for him. My question to you all is in regards to what I will carry while I'm traveling, and in the house as we clean and pack everything. I don't show my carry piece to anyone, but one never knows what could happen?

First of all, I'm a retired LEO. I have permits for Idaho and Arizona which I know California won't honor. I also have my 218 card for a Glock, a 1911, and a .380 auto. I know that most veteran LEO's will probably honor my retired Captain's ID, but I also know that some won't, so what do you suggest? I would never deliberately badge an officer, but I can make sure they notice my credentials when they/ve stopped me.

I have a Glock 19, complete with 10 round mags. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 with 8 round mags, and I have a Taurus Poly .38special+P to choose from. Those are the weapons I trust, but could let go of if I got in a pissing contest with LE somewhere. Without going bankrupt from the loss.

I grew up in California. Bought my first handgun 53 years ago in California. Moved to Arizona in '67 and have only gone back on business or personal visits about a dozen times over all those years. To have to even think about this kind of stuff disturbs the hell outta me. I had less to worry about, getting past the Berlin wall when I was in the military way back when.

Comments appreciated.

DONT!!!

If you must, take your own water. Something is in the water over there that causes a person to lose grip with reality.

Good luck, we hope you make it back.

In all seriousness, I hate to hear about your friend. It is always very difficult to see friends and family not doing well. Prayers for your friend. You being there will be a great help.

Edited by devil duck

If your up to date with your LEOSA qualification & have ID & proof of qual your good to go.

Under 18 USC 926c (retired) nothing is mentioned about specific weapons, you shoot one qual and are good with any handgun, revolver, pistol, derringer, whatever trips your trigger.....

My rule of thumb is when traveling, always show the officer my LEOSA credentials up front with DL & such, thus IDing myself as a "good guy"

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Good to know about non-specific weapons. Last time I traveled, it was back east and there was some discussion about "type" being okay, such as a 1911 is a 1911. Sounds like someone finally figured it out. Thanks Rampy and DD. I've been gone for awhile, and should spend more time in here. Always feels like family.

Jerry

I've got 2 apps on my iPhone, Legal Heat and CCW, both of them are good with state laws & such, one complements the other and I tend to cross reference with them for both my state issued permit and LEOSA.

Now 18 USC 926c does cover ammo/bullet style, but not magazine capacity, so make sure you double check that. I found out that DC allows up to 7 rds in a handgun & then only 1 reload with that number of rounds in the reload & under LEOSA I have to comply with this to be legal. Thus I'll have my J frame, 5 rds in weapon and 1 speed strip with 5 rds.

Here's the nitty gritty of LEOSA (218)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926C

DONT!!!

If you must, take your own water. Something is in the water over there that causes a person to lose grip with reality.

Good luck, we hope you make it back.

Stole my answer. Dont.