[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
towtruck

Apple is getting a cab.

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My '68 Jeep came with a soft top originally and never had door hinges on the body. I have been running around with a bikini top and nothing else since I've owned it. I want to be able to use Apple more when it's cold but still have the option to run without doors. I also want to keep cats and other critters out of it when it's parked. I have looked for a full original hard top and even looked for half cabs. They are out there but most are on the east coast. I'm not shipping a rusty cab all the way across the country. 

Pulling pictures from the net I have found many different styles of cabs. All are a little different. I have found enough pictures to give me an idea of how to make one. Today I picked up my frame steel for a half cab. Most of the factory cabs are made from bent sheet metal with no real framework. I am going to make a frame and skin it with sheet metal. If I do it right the weight should be no more than a factory cab. I have everything mapped out in my head how I want it to go and have very little details still undecided. 

I started bending the square tubing today to form the forward door jamb and connection link from the top to the lower body in the front. I will be making those two frame panels first then I will form up the windshield header. The cab back will get made third with the top bows connecting the back to the front after that. Once all the main cab frame is built I will frame out the doors and side windows. 

I cannot decide if I want one big back window or a smaller one with two on the sides.....another option is a big one in the back with two port holes on the sides behind the doors. 

Three windows......

R1r8qrw.jpg

Big window.....

myvSm7c.jpg

I am going to make a modified version of this door hinge......

kXN1fFu.jpg

My hinge will be short and down lower on the body as to open up the visual area alongside the windshield. The window will be a better design too. My cab top will look like the first picture above, Flat on the back and rounded to the sides. Kinda a mix mash of all three pictured as I think I should go with the big window for visibility. 

I'm taking my time and working on this as I have extra time. I figure it's a good summer project and I may even get it done before winter. And for those asking why I don't put a new soft top on it.....well I have animals that like to sleep on top of the Jeep and dig their nails into the canvas...I'm not buying a $1000 scratching post for a bunch of cats. 

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The bottom picture, blue one, looks real good.  That is definately the one to go with.

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
2 minutes ago, alpo said:

The bottom picture, blue one, looks real good.  That is definately the one to go with.

I actually don't care for the look of the rolled top on that cab .....that was the earlier cab style for the flat fender Jeeps. 

1 minute ago, towtruck said:

I actually don't care for the look of the rolled top on that cab .....that was the earlier cab style for the flat fender Jeeps. 

Your right.  A flat top would look better.

The top will look like the first picture with one exception....while the back will be flat all the way across like that one the front will follow the contours of the windshield frame. The factory cabs were straight across the front. 

That is my plan anyway...I need to go out and look at that before I commit to it though. I may have to make the front flat just to make it look right......that is the one area I am not 100% on just yet. 

Edit...I made up my mind and I am going to make the the front edge level and not follow the windshield frame. The front and back will have the same corners and shapes and be level front to back and side to side...a true flat top. Forming the sheet metal over two different rolls and contours is not worth the trouble. 

Composite core tricell or hexal honeycomb core fiberglass , lightweight tough durable easy on and off  .Do the entire bed with hinged rear access door :thumb:

Can't wait to see the finished product buddy!

Shoot. I wish I knew you were hunting one. I have a hard top, doors, hinges, everything. There's a couple of cracks, but you should be able to weld them up and make it pretty. Shipping would suck, but we could probably work something out, some kind of horse trade. I decided my CJ is a fair weather ride, and I'm probably not going to attempt to take it out in the winter again. 

7 hours ago, Pepper said:

Shoot. I wish I knew you were hunting one. I have a hard top, doors, hinges, everything. There's a couple of cracks, but you should be able to weld them up and make it pretty. Shipping would suck, but we could probably work something out, some kind of horse trade. I decided my CJ is a fair weather ride, and I'm probably not going to attempt to take it out in the winter again. 

Dam, A full hard top would be sweet. We are going to have to talk......................I'm not far along in the half cab project and a full top would work out much better that the half cab.  

I could still make the half cab and use the full cabs doors.......less work for me and I would have two tops. 

Just saying..........

nellybelle_1.ashx?modified=2018110814533

Well, today I finally made time to work on the half cab. I made the door hinge supports that are the front legs of the cab frame. These parts will bolt onto the top of the cab in order to be able to take the cab off. There will be a 14g skin on these that has a bracket that attaches to the windshield frame. The bottom is pinned into the soft top door hinge hole. 

lR2LNWF.jpgUNjEg7Q.jpg

I got the basic frame for the cab back put together and squared. It's all tacked welded right now and I will finish welding it once it's all fabricated. I still have to make the radius corners and for now the top bar is run long. It will get rounded with the corner piece that will weld in. The door header is just sitting up there right now. I need to cut two of them to length next and weld it in the back then make the framework for the short side of the cab and the door jam at the rear. I plan on using the soft top mount hole for a locator to hold the cab sides. 

xd0qHKW.jpgI

I have to make the front header next, make the bolt on brackets for the front legs of the frame, frame the rear window, and make the filler piece between the wheel wells. Once the cab is framed I have to put in the flanges that the doors will seal against and make the doors. The doors will be some work as they are curved on the bottom and will have windows that go up and down and I have to put in a door latch. Then when all the frame work is done I will skin the whole thing, sandblast, then paint it. 

Lots more work to do.....making room for a gasket around the edges has been challenging. My hope is to make it somewhat rain proof going down the road.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, towtruck said:

Well, today I finally made time to work on the half cab. I made the door hinge supports that are the front legs of the cab frame. These parts will bolt onto the top of the cab in order to be able to take the cab off. There will be a 14g skin on these that has a bracket that attaches to the windshield frame. The bottom is pinned into the soft top door hinge hole. 

lR2LNWF.jpg

When ya see it.......:hysterical3::hysterical3::tiphat::beerchug:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rampy said:

When ya see it.......:hysterical3::hysterical3::tiphat::beerchug:

Ya like that eh!!!!

4 minutes ago, towtruck said:

Ya like that eh!!!!

It's flipping awesome :tiphat:

1 minute ago, Rampy said:

It's flipping awesome :tiphat:

A local guy made them up. He was very actively protesting Newsom and making trips to Sac to protest the shutdown. I saw one on his truck and had to have one for Apple. 

• Like 1

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]