[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
md65636

Looking for a new EDC

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking at getting a Benchmade Adamas auto with a plain blade. I have a $25 coupon for Optics Planet and would get it to the $250 range. Any other recommendations at that price range?

• Like 1

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I like the looks of the AFO. I'm not sure about the aluminum handles, might chip or rub sooner.

• Like 1

• [[Template core/front/sharelinks/google does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
  • [[Template core/front/sharelinks/stumble does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For that kind of money you can do far far better than benchmade.

https://kershawguy.com/products-page/zero-tolerance/

I guess I should have waited. I ordered the Benchmade Adamas on Monday, waiting on the dealer to call.

I have a Benchmade Adamas, and it's an excellent hard-use defensive folder.  It far surpasses the AFO, in my opinion.  For non-autos, I'd recommend the Cold Steel 4 Max.  But it might be too-large for your needs.

TIJSlqCl.jpg

HlzRObll.jpg

Just added a second, 4 Max Scout to the rotation:

fgu4e2Kh.jpg

Nice!  I am still very fond of my K-Bar Mule.  Inexpensive, honed a complete scandy profile across the entire width of the blade and it didnt cost much.  Only issue I have had is because of that super fine blade I managed to chip it somehow.  I just call it my single serration on the blade.  Pretty heavy knife, but works well for me.  I do have a couple really nice knives, but never carry them.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:10 PM, adair_usmc said:

For that kind of money you can do far far better than benchmade.

https://kershawguy.com/products-page/zero-tolerance/

The Zero Tolerence without the blade coating with MSRP of 150 looks very interesting, and something I could invest in. ZTOO359SW

Comments on this model ?  My one concern is weight.  At 6.2 oz, you are gonna know it's there. 

On 6/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, Zephyr One/Zero said:

I have a Benchmade Adamas, and it's an excellent hard-use defensive folder.  It far surpasses the AFO, in my opinion.  For non-autos, I'd recommend the Cold Steel 4 Max.  But it might be too-large for your needs.

TIJSlqCl.jpg

HlzRObll.jpg

Z, you seem to know alot about knives.

On that Cold Steel 4 Max, is that clip not a PIA for a good grip ? 

Seems like that bend in the clip would be right about where the heel of your palm would be.

School me please.   Thanks 

I bought my SIL a heavy duty knife a few years back, since he could not carry at work.  Can't remember the brand, but I got it on sale for just under a hundred bucks. (I know, cheap in the knife world)  Sorry I can't remember the brand or model, but I did some reading before making a choice, and this knife got very good reviews for that type of knife....  Anyway, we were down for a visit and I noticed he was carrying his old EDC, and the heavy duty was beat up and lying on his fireplace mantle. I asked him about it, and he said it was just too heavy to  EDC.  He liked the strength of the knife, and ended up using it for tough jobs around the house. It held up well.

I don't like a heavy EDC either.  My lowly Gerber with aluminum handles has served me well.  Is there any heavier duty knife you could recommend that is light(er) AND won't break the bank for those with less disposable income ?  Just like the wrong EDC pistol, it's not doing me any good if I am leaving it at home...

That ZTO I referenced is less than 2 ounces shy of half a pound. 

On 6/17/2020 at 5:04 AM, Retcop said:

Z, you seem to know alot about knives.

On that Cold Steel 4 Max, is that clip not a PIA for a good grip ? 

Seems like that bend in the clip would be right about where the heel of your palm would be.

School me please.   Thanks 

This knife is set-up for left-handed carry.  It would be a pain if you used-it, as-it-is, right-handed.  My left-hand heel rests on the side with no clip.  I have a ZT 0350BW version, and it's carry-weight is barely noticeable to me.  It deploys fast with the 'speed-safe' assist, and has a solid lock-up!    

2xH1KqVl.jpg

DUH. Guess I should have thought about that, huh ? 

Did you have some "bargain" heavier duty EDC suggestions that won't break the bank and not weigh close to a 1/2  pound  for me, my friend ? 

Thanks

Edited by Retcop

You might look into the Cold Steel AK-47,  priced around $100 bucks.  Weighs-in at 5.5 ounces.  Available in black, FDE, and green.

Cold Steel AK-47 58TLAKVG Knife Open on Withdrawal OD Green G10 Locking  Folder

Another blade by Cold Steel is the Ultimate Hunter:

Weight: 4.9 oz.

Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm.

Blade Length: 3 1/2"

Handle: 5" G-10.

Overall: 8 1/2"

Steel: Carpenter CPM S35VN.

Pocket Clip: Ambidextrous Pocket / Belt Clip.

Priced between $90 - $100 dollars.

Ultimate Hunter S35VN by Cold Steel

Cold Steel American Lawman is another good choice:

Overall Length:  8 1/8"

Weight:  4.5 oz.

Blade Thickness: 3.5 mm

Handle Length: 4.5"

Handle Material:  Black G-10

DLC Coated Blade

Blade Steel:  American S35VN

Ambidextrous Stainless Pocket Clip/Belt Clip

Cold Steel American Lawman Review | BladeReviews.com

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

large.0d49e1567785f728e71ded3d60e1673b.jpg.2fc3703bdd132f5b29a0506d22818de0.jpg

Scarfed-up this Cold Steel Voyager in 'large-format' a few weeks back.  Light-weight, AUS-10 alloy with Demko 'tri-ad lock'.

1lSXW8th.jpg

GubRGJ4h.jpg

0ER26cPh.jpg

XfiM3pnh.jpg

Edited by Zephyr One/Zero

Looks good. My Adamas arrived and it is nice and heavy.

• Like 1

[[Template core/global/global/pagination is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]